PDA

View Full Version : The Solid States of Guitarica

SuperSwede
November 13th, 2006, 11:19 AM
When I read the recent discussions about the Crate Powerblock one thing comes to mind, its that most of you are surprised that a solid state amp actually can sound good.

Solid state amps is often looked at as inferior when compared to all-tube amps. These views are common among guitarists that have played on a couple of entry-level solid state Marshall amps and decided that "Nope, this is nothing for me, it doesnt even come close to a full blown Class A amp!". Really?
Could it be because a lot of the solid state amps available today has that "almost-like-tube patented technology" that doesnt create either the all-tube sound or the classic solid state sound?

A real solid state amp doesnt have to be a tube wannabe, it has desirable qualities of its own. Just sit down and play on a Roland Jazz Chorus or another professional SS amp and you´ll understand why the sound of these guitar amps can be found on many many classic recordings. I especially want to recommend listening to Adrian Belew (King Crimson, Zappa & Bowie). He makes amazing sounds with those dual JC120´s!

Dont get me wrong, I totally dig tube amps, and I dont want to make this post into a tube vs solid state discussion, but I think that the solid state technology deserves to be judged as a different way to amplify a guitar.

What I really like about good SS amps is that they have immense warmth and clarity, and never "kneels" like a tube amp often do when it starts to get crowded in the power amp. The pick response is very direct compared to the slighty elastic feel of a tube amp.
Solid state amps are typically less dynamic than a tube amp, so it demands another style of playing than a small wattage tube amp.

I really would like to hear what you think is the pros and cons of solid state amps!
(And congrats to all those that bought the Crate Powerblock amp, I might do the same when the monetary situation allows it :D )

Tone2TheBone
November 13th, 2006, 11:48 AM
I wish I had my old original Crate amph from a long time ago. It was the one of the first Crate amphs that ever came out back in the late 70s. It looked like a wooden crate! Back then it was cutting edge SS technology with regard to "distortion". I played through the new Crate PB a couple of times already at the store while trying out various pedals and each time I dug the tones I was getting. Solid and loud with a different clarity than a tube yup. I have to agree with Super Swede and his comments.

Robert
November 13th, 2006, 11:49 AM
I had a Lab Series L-5 that was pretty cool sounding. Made in the 70s. I still like my Hellhound better, but SS technology sure isn't something to spit at.

Spudman
November 13th, 2006, 12:21 PM
My first big gigging amph was a Kustom IIIL solid state and I really liked it...until I got a Marshall.

Some of the things SS amphs have going for them is that they are lighter, not prone to tube/rattle/dependability issues, and my favorite, cost less than tube amphs. The Power Block is a perfect example of this.

I have to agree that there really is nothing wrong with SS amphs. They are just different is all. Ty Tabor (Kings X) has been using a Lab Series SS amph for most of his career and the sounds he gets are awesome. I even like the Peavey Transtube amphs. They sound pretty good at least for practicing. I've never tried one at gig volume. It really just comes down to how you use a SS amph.

Still most professionals continue to use tube amphs because there is just something magical that happens with them. That may change as SS technology changes. The Powerblock is almost there and close enough for me that it's now a 'go to' amph for me.

Nelskie
November 13th, 2006, 12:41 PM
. . . but I think that the solid state technology deserves to be judged as a different way to amplify a guitar . . .
I fully concur with that statement, SS, esp. considering that the evolutionary process of solid-state amps is entirely different vs. that of tube amps.

Having walked on both sides of the fence, I can honestly say that there were things about the solid-state rigs I'd played back in the 80's that I like better that some of the tube rigs I use more frequently today. One thing is attack. The characteristics of single notes being played though a solid-state amp seem to have more "bite" to them, and this is especially noticeable when using scaling techniques. The other thing I like about solid-state is its wonderful, mid-range sustain - perhaps due to the overall consistency of its reproduced tone.

I think part of the reason that solid-state amps don't get the recognition they deserve is due to the present state of the industry. The larger majority of newer amp offerings are tube-based, which is further reflected by players' preferences to emulate guitar legends of the past. Although solid-state dudes like Zappa, Belew, and Fripp were fantastic players, their music was well outside of the commercial mainstream - - and hence, considered mostly "obscure" or "avant garde'".

Roland has been a major player in the solid-state amp market forever, and as Swede has already mentioned, its Jazz Chorus model remains a lofty benchmark for non-tube produced tone. There are several companies that are doing some great things with solid-state amp technology, and Crate is definitely one of them. Another is Tech 21, with their Trademark series amps. And of course, Line 6 has practically re-invented the solid-state market with their Spider, Vetta, and POD/PODxt offerings, and Zoom is making great strides with their multi-effects processors.

Indeed, there is absoultely no reason for any player to turn up their nose at solid-state amps. As a matter of fact, you may just find it a very refreshing change of pace vs. using a tube-based amplifier. Between my PODxt, my Zoom G2, and now, my Crate Powerblock, I can definitely say that the infusion of solid-state tone into my playing arsenal these past two years has defintely opened up some new creative doors for me. It would be safe to say that I won't ever be without some type of solid-state amp / processor in my own stable of gear. ;)

marnold
November 13th, 2006, 04:43 PM
When it comes to the old tubes vs. transistors debate, I'm reminded of when I bought my bass chorus pedal. The salesman said that the effect would be minimal and probably wouldn't be noticed by most people. He quickly added, though, that if it made me feel better about my playing or sound better to myself, it would be worth it. I think that's the point with tubes. Few "regular" people would be able to tell the difference between a quality transistor amp and a tube amp at a gig. If it makes the player feel better and it sounds better to him, then it's worth it.

I got my AD30VT because in side-by-side comparisons, I thought it sounded better than comparably-priced Marshalls or Rolands. Is it because of the tube? I honestly don't know. I like it better. To me, it sounds better. It makes me want to play. In the final analysis, that's the most important part.

Plank_Spanker
November 13th, 2006, 05:21 PM
.................................................. ....... I think that's the point with tubes. Few "regular" people would be able to tell the difference between a quality transistor amp and a tube amp at a gig. If it makes the player feel better and it sounds better to him, then it's worth it...........................................

I'll give you that as far as "Joe Budweiser" listener goes. However, it goes deeper than that. There's more to the amp than just the way it sounds. It's the way it plays. That also factors into the sound. It's been my experience that tube amps require a good deal more touch and attention than SS amps. You need to "work" the sound from a tube amp with a combination of guitar and amp settings, and touch. The increased dynamics alone demand that. You can also "milk" sound out of a tube amp that you simply won't get from a SS amp. They are two entirely different schools of thought when it comes to playing them.

I'm not bagging on SS amps. I own two of them that I love. My point is that there are vastly different approaches when it comes to playing tube and SS amps.

They are cats of very different breed...........

SuperSwede
November 14th, 2006, 02:08 AM
It was very interesting to read your replies, and I´m glad that so many dare to peek over to the dark side for a dose of solid state tone once in a while.

Roland has been a major player in the solid-state amp market forever, and as Swede has already mentioned, its Jazz Chorus model remains a lofty benchmark for non-tube produced tone.

Absolutely, and I would strongly suggest that anyone interested in quality sound should visit a music store and try out the venerable Jazz Chorus amp, I promise a really refreshing tonal experience. The Jazz Chorus 120 has been in production for over 30 years, and once you try it you will understand why the sound it offers has been requested for three decades.

oldguy
November 18th, 2006, 07:34 AM
I used to go listen to a country/rock and top 40 kinda group whose guitarist sounded great, and he played through an old Lab series using an original Tubescreamer for added boost/breakup. I think it had more to do with his ability than anything. He played a Peavey T-60.
While not fully tube, the old Musicman I've used for years has a great sound to my ears. Like a Fender Twin. LOUD, FENDERISH,(is that a word?), and it's HEAVY!:D
Solid state has indeed made amazing strides. If I hit the lottery I would most definitely check out a Pritchard.
Then again, there's something about feeling that string vibrato under your finger as well as coming out the amp/cab, slowly resonating into controlled feedback through a Valve Jr. driving Celestions...
Glenn