PDA

View Full Version : Duran Duran - new album and tour

Spudman
March 17th, 2011, 10:24 PM
All You Need Is Now, the new album, is released and the tour started today at the SXSW festival.

The album sounds...just like Duran Duran. I like it!

March 17th, 2011
SXSW 2011 Day 1: (Still) Hungry like the wolf
Duran Duran at SXSW.
By Sean O’Neal March 17, 2011

• Duran Duran’s upcoming All You Need Is Now couldn’t be more ironically titled unless it was called Songs That Are As Good As Or Better Than Hungry Like The Wolf, and let’s be real: If you’re attending a Duran Duran headlining SXSW set, chances are you’re not saying, “I’m just curious about their new material.” But you know what? The group’s new material actually holds up pretty well against their earliest hits. Songs like “Being Followed” are the same sort of sleek, gloriously plastic synth-pop Duran Duran reliably churned out for the bulk of the ’80s, and they slotted comfortably between old familiars like opener “A View To A Kill” and “Notorious.” As Simon Le Bon said just before the band left the stage for the night, “That’s what we do,” and it’s nice to see Duran Duran still knows what “that” is, rather than attempting to go all serious on us in its advancing years.

The night proceeded in that sort of a one-for-you, one-for-us pattern of well-worn versus breaking-in (as Le Bon reminded everyone, the set was a dress rehearsal for a world tour), and there was a noted emphasis on sticking to fan-favorite deeper cuts like “The Chauffeur” and “Ordinary World” and ignoring the shouted pleas of the larger crowd—particularly one dude whose cries of “Rio!” turned hilariously mournful as the night wore on. Things got a bit self-indulgent on the encore of “Girls On Film,” which stretched out into one of those interminable “Ladies and gentlemen, on the saxophone…” rounds of introduction, included a bizarre snippet of “Papa Was A Rolling Stone,” and basically ate up several more minutes that could have been used to cram, say, “The Reflex” in there. But even if a Duran Duran show will always need more than just the “now,” the band proved it’s capable of balancing past and present. It’s definitely a hard line to walk—attempting to give fans what they want without coming off as a sad nostalgia act; offering reminders that you’re still making albums without looking like stuck-up prigs who won’t just ****ing play “Hungry Like The Wolf” already—and Duran Duran handled it better than most. And the band also played “Hungry Like The Wolf,” and it was awesome. [SO]

Courtesy The Onion/AV Club

Plenty of USA and European tour dates too.
http://duranduranmusic.com/?page=tour

March 18, 2011
WINSTAR WORLD
Thackerville, OK

March 23, 2011
MAYAN THEATRE
Los Angeles, CA

March 25, 2011
BICENTENNIAL PARK
Miami, FL

April 02, 2011
MGM GRAND THEATRE AT FOXWOODS
Mashantucket, CT

April 04, 2011
CENTER STAGE
Atlanta, GA

April 06, 2011
WAREHOUSE LIVE
Houston, TX

April 08, 2011
BANAMEX AUDITORIUM
Monterrey, Mexico

April 10, 2011
TELMEX AUDITORIUM
Guadalajara, Mexico

April 11, 2011
NATIONAL AUDITORIUM
Mexico City, Mexico

April 14, 2011
FOX THEATRE
Pomona, CA

April 16, 2011
THE FILLMORE THEATRE
San Francisco, CA

April 17, 2011
COACHELLA MUSIC & ARTS FESTIVAL
indio, CA

April 20, 2011
OGDEN THEATRE
Denver, CO

April 23, 2011
HOUSE OF BLUES CHICAGO
Chicago, IL

April 25, 2011
PHOENIX CONCERT THEATRE
Toronto, Canada

April 27, 2011
ROYALE THEATRE
Boston, MA

May 18, 2011
NEWCASTLE METRO RADIO ARENA

May 19, 2011
GLASGOW SECC

May 21, 2011
BIRMINGHAM LG ARENA

May 22, 2011
NOTTINGHAM CAPITAL FM ARENA

May 23, 2011
LIVERPOOL ECHO ARENA

May 26, 2011
ELECTRONIC BEATS - ADMIRALSPALAST
Berlin, Germany

May 28, 2011
THE LONDON 02 ARENA

Spudman
March 23rd, 2011, 09:38 PM
There was a full streamed concert tonight from California. The band sounded great but David Lynch directed the video and ruined it with all these stupid superimposed images. Really distracting...and stupid. One persistent image was a man hitting a BBQ grill great in time with the snare drum. Dumb.

They had an orchestra on stage and really sounded great when they did the James Bond theme "A View To a Kill". Ya, the band is sounding real good right now.

Robert
March 23rd, 2011, 09:48 PM
I just watched some of it. I thought it was kinda interesting what David Lynch did. He's one of a kind, as we all know... ;)

Nice sound on that concert, very cool.

It is on right now - http://www.youtube.com/DuranDuranVEVO?feature=ticker

Tig
March 27th, 2011, 04:40 AM
Listened to the new album, and yes it is very typical slick-pop Duran Duran, but the songs are pretty good! The production is top quality and most of the songs sound fresh and not like 80's re-treads.

I'd prefer Andy Taylor was still around for more guitar presence. He always liked more rawkin' heaviness and distortion than the boys in the band prefer.
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2006/10/27/2710duran_taylor_narrowweb__300x363,0.jpg Not http://www.peoplequiz.com/images/quizzes/Andy-taylor.jpg-2940.jpg

Spudman
March 27th, 2011, 09:56 AM
I agree about Andy, but now that he's gone Nick will get his way more often. That will either show that Nick was right all along or he'll fall flat on his face. Either way the new album is really good. I've had it playing almost every day and it keeps growing on me.

If you want to know why Andy is gone then check out "Wild Boy," the book by Andy. It's a good read.

http://www.slushpile.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/wild-boy-cover.jpg