PDA

View Full Version : Texas Red Blues Jr specs

kidsmoke
March 18th, 2011, 10:27 AM
What's the story on this amp?
My understanding is it's a 2nd generation (tan board) with a Celestion 30 speaker and red tolex. Is that it, or is there more to it?

Is the C30 a good upgrade? Is it worth more than a BJr II in similar condition?

I've been thinking about one of these for a while. I'll forever kick myself for letting Otaypanky's tweed pass me by. A texas red is up for sale here in the neighborhood, and I wish to be an informed consumer.

thanks in advance.

~kimo

duhvoodooman
March 18th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Just a regular Blues Jr., but with red tolex and tan grille cloth....and the Celestion Vintage 30 speaker. That is indeed a worthwhile upgrade, though. The stock Eminence speaker is respectable, if unremarkable. You should get better clarity all around, stronger mids, and a crisper top-end with the V30. I would think it would increase the resale value somewhere in the range of $25 - $50.

otaypanky
March 20th, 2011, 07:26 PM
I was just kind of missing that amp myself Tio

kidsmoke
March 20th, 2011, 08:53 PM
First off, thanks DVM for the prompt response. I considered that pretty authoritative.

Second....Otaypanky....did you not have a different speaker than the eminence in your Tweed BJr?

I found a Tweed GII, and the seller says he's got a Jensen in it.

Third....with your plethora of amps (OP) why were you missing it? I'm still on the fence about dropping 450.00 bones on an amp, and your feedback may help me decide. (since you chimed in...did that deluxe ever find a forever home?:drool)

Oh, and last....since I can get a new black tolex GIII for about the same price as either of the other two GII's, are the improvements worth it, if I'm not saving a ton on the used ones? I'm under the impression that Bill M mods can cover the same ground, for more scratch, of course.