PDA

View Full Version : Who OWNS a Bugera V22

kidsmoke
March 21st, 2011, 11:45 PM
Ok, so this amp is often mentioned in discussions on smaller, affordable amps, but a search fails to turn up an actual owner......

So.....who's got one? What do you think? Strengths? Weaknesses? Bang for the buck?
How does it compare to other low watt combo tube amps that you own/have played?

How's that pentode/triode feature? all it claims to be?

Really interested to hear from someone who's actually laid down the scratch, and spent some quality time with this little bugger.

Cheers!

Spudman
March 22nd, 2011, 09:34 AM
I've got one and have been gigging with it for almost a year and a half. It sounds so good I semi retired my Hot Rod Deluxe and Delta Blues. The whole amp is a strength. The speaker is great, the overall sound is great and it seems sturdy after going through and re-tightening all the cabinet screws, They were a bit lose. The stock tubes weren't all that great and I've since installed JJs in the power section and Electro Harmonix in the pre section and it's been consistent for the past year after doing so.

The pentode/triode switch took me a while to get around to. I never really played around with it until I needed to play a little more quietly at home. That's when I accidentally discovered what this little bugger could do. In triode mode it allows you to really crank the master and preamp to get some awesome grind at a "not so loud people want to kill you" volume. Wonderful in short. The low end isn't quite as tight or robust in this mode but that's okay. And I like the reverb.

It's an awesome amph at the suggested price. It is still a good amph at $100 over the suggested price.

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php/15267-Awesome-Bugera-review?highlight=bugera
http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php/12874-Bugera-V22?highlight=bugera

kidsmoke
March 22nd, 2011, 10:47 AM
Sweet, spud, that's exactly what I was looking for. Much appreciated. Used one for sale in the 'hood at $250.00. Your testimonial indicates thats a steal.

so you went with the same tubes....
- 2 channel triple 12ax7 into dual el84 out -
only new, "name brand", and have been gigging it?

some of the feedback I've read is that it just doesn't hold up. Good to hear that that hasn't been you're experience. I wouldn't be putting it through the abuse you do.

Thanks a ton....I guess I just didn't get far enough in the search...the V22 gets mentioned soooo often, there were lots to wade through.

Spudman
March 22nd, 2011, 11:01 AM
These amps hold up just fine. No worries there. FWIW - a Hot Rod Deluxe cover fits it perfectly and they can be had for around $20. The covering on the amph is not as durable as say the Peavey alligator hide they put on some of their equipment, so that's why a cover is a good idea if you'll be transporting it.

I used the same grade of tubes and then I adjusted the bias using the RCA jacks on the amph. I got it close to what they suggest and have been pretty happy with it since. I took off the tube protective cage and left it off as well.

The only issues these have had have been poor tubes from the factory and a real cheap fix of adding a heat sync to a problematic relay that got hot and switched channels by itself. Neither of those is a big deal.

Nobody has been able to improve on the stock speaker either. It is perfectly voiced for the amph. I even set my Power Block head on top and use the Bugera speaker for the Power Block. It sounds great. The amph will also tilt back on it's own on hard floors because of the way the feet are positioned, so no need for tilt back legs or amp stand. Pretty cool.

I have nothing but positive to say about the amp and I've used it plenty in situations that matter.

For $250 you'll be laughing for many years to come.

kidsmoke
March 25th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Well, I bought one....only I paid $200.00, and the footswitch and cord hadn't even been removed from there original packaging! Pretty Stoked right about now. Been a good week in regards to my new gear/value ratio.

Thanks again Spudman, for the first hand info. I'll probably have some questions as I get familiar with it.

Tig
March 25th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Happy new amph day, Tio. Only 200 clams? Sweet!
I enjoyed the limited time I had demo'ing a V22 and could easily see buying one.

kidsmoke
March 29th, 2011, 09:22 AM
I've since installed JJs in the power section and Electro Harmonix in the pre section and it's been consistent for the past year after doing so.

Yep, I'm enjoying learning about this amph, and really, feel like I'm learning about how amphs work, as far as channel volume vs. master volume...trying to drive breakup at preferred points....how do pedals play into it. Good stuff, and I'm lucky to have tripped over such a "low barrier to entry".

Spud, what do I need to know when purchasing replacement tubes? Just buy off the shelf, premium, 2 x EL84's and 2 x 12AX7s and call it a day? Any vendors you (or anyone) can recommend?

Eric
March 29th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Yep, I'm enjoying learning about this amp, and really, feel like I'm learning about how amps work, as far as channel volume vs. master volume...trying to drive breakup at preferred points....how do pedals play into it. Good stuff, and I'm lucky to have tripped over such a "low barrier to entry".

Spud, what do I need to know when purchasing replacement tubes? Just buy off the shelf, premium, 2 x EL84's and 2 x 12AX7s and call it a day? Any vendors you (or anyone) can recommend?
I don't know much about tube replacement, but I'm pretty sure the answer you will get back is to shop at Eurotubes. People here seem to love them.

NWBasser
March 29th, 2011, 12:05 PM
I don't know much about tube replacement, but I'm pretty sure the answer you will get back is to shop at Eurotubes. People here seem to love them.

I think you can count me in that group.

NWBasser
March 29th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Well, I bought one....only I paid $200.00, and the footswitch and cord hadn't even been removed from there original packaging! Pretty Stoked right about now. Been a good week in regards to my new gear/value ratio.

Thanks again Spudman, for the first hand info. I'll probably have some questions as I get familiar with it.

Happy new Amph Day Tio!

I've messed with one of those before and really liked the tone. I can imagine that a set of JJs would really set it off.

kidsmoke
March 31st, 2011, 09:00 AM

I think you can count me in that group.

Dug around on their site quite a bit, they actually sell several variations of retube kits, that vary slightly based on what you want to achieve. VERY cool! I'll likely take that approach after I've gotten more familiar with the amp, and how it works with my different guitars. Create a baseline of sorts.

Cool amp. One thing I love is it is SILENT when a note isn't being played. SILENT. No perceptible hum of any sort whatsoever. The clean channel is awesome, possibly as chimey and bell like as Fender's I've played, but I'd have to A/B them in the room together to make that absolute statement. The lead channel is good, not quite the Fender kind of dirty, but it doesn't claim to be. It jumps right to a gainy driven sound. I'm trying to find that sweet spot where it's just breaking up.Different tubes, or dare I say.....PEDALS....may be the solution.

Either way, I'm killing lots of time with this thing.....

kidsmoke
September 17th, 2011, 02:38 PM
The only issues these have had have been poor tubes from the factory and a real cheap fix of adding a heat sync to a problematic relay that got hot and switched channels by itself. Neither of those is a big deal.

Hopefully Spud stumbles along and can add to this.

I've been LOVING this amph, use it constantly, had it out at open mics where others have plugged into it and always end up taking info with them before they leave the establishment.

BUT....it's developed a bug, and I can't use it. Rather than take it to a pro for diagnostics/repair, I'm hoping amph guru's in general, or someone like Spud, familiar with this amph in particular, can state what it is.

I've never replaced the tubes as suggested, and that may fix it.

Everything functions fine....except that there is a constant "electronic stutter sound" that occurs intermittently while it's on, whether playing or not. Loud, and renders it unusable.

Now, the amp took a "blow". It rolled. from standing to face plant in the back of my truck (carpeted). No cosmetic damage at all.

So, anything jump out at you with this limited info?

BTW, really missed you guys. Been absolutely swamped, and playing more than ever, and I need this little beauty.

Spudman
September 17th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Tio - sorry to hear that you are having problems with your Bug. Like I said, tubes are the weak link from the factory. I've not had any of the channel switching / heat sink issues that others have mentioned. In fact mine has fallen over in the back of my van a few times and everything is still working great. The van is carpeted so it doesn't take a real hard hit, but I'm still surprised that I've had no problems so far. In fact, it's sounding better than ever and I push it real hard. I'll bet you just have a bad, or several, bad tubes. Anyway, keep us informed what goes on with you amph. I'm sure it will be an easy fix.

kidsmoke
September 22nd, 2011, 01:49 PM
Thanks Spud,
I ordered a full retube kit from Eurotubes. Should have 'em in a week or so. I'll definitely report back. Love this amph, and want to get it cookin' again ASAP.

Cheers.

Spudman
September 22nd, 2011, 04:13 PM
The JJs in mine are holding up real well without any rattle or other noise. It seems that I can still get a variety of tones still so the tubes aren't softening and I crank this thing on the triode mode. I am a bit interested in trying some other tubes but the problem with combos is that the vibrating cabinet wears the tubes out more quickly than a head/cab will. I'd rather not throw the $ away for just a couple of months of a different sound. I hope those JJs work out for you.

marnold
September 23rd, 2011, 11:52 AM
I'll be interested to hear what you have to say. I _think_ their Bugera retube kit is similar to/the same as the one for a Jet City. Honestly, I thought I'd have this one retubed already, but I've been really happy with what I get with the stock Chinese t00bs.

kidsmoke
September 23rd, 2011, 03:44 PM
Likewise for me, loved the sound, and only went this route as a likely solution to the problem that developed.

Gotta say that the order process alone has been impressive. The speed and level of response is unusual!

Perfect Stranger
September 25th, 2011, 07:57 AM
I own this amp and find that everything Spudman has said is spot on. I LOVE mine. I semi-retired my Fender Blues, Jr.
to start using my Buggie almost exclusively. Best sound I've found between Blues, Jr., Jet City, & Peavey.

Spudman
September 25th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Tio

When you go to re-tube and have the old ones out, that would be a real good time to snug up all the chassis and speaker screws and nuts. I found most of mine could definitely be tightened a bit. Be careful not to over tighten. Firmly snug is what I recommend.

Perfect Stranger
September 25th, 2011, 04:49 PM
I forgot to mention, I did re-tube with JJ's from Eurotubes. I have JJ's in all my amps.

kidsmoke
September 26th, 2011, 10:47 PM
The good news: Euro tubes rocks! I ordered my V22 retube set on Wednesday afternoon. As previously stated, confirmation was personal, and immediate. Followup questions were answered IMMEDIATELY, and there were a few.

The tubes arrived on Saturday morning.

I followed the instructions that were included, and the read the web instructions/tutorials that I was directed to on my invoice.

Tubes are in the amp, and sound great.

Bad news: the same problem - electronic popping, random, erratic, continues.

Looks like she's going to the tech. I'm bummed.

Tig
September 26th, 2011, 11:56 PM

Bummer
http://www.charlieglickman.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/homer_doh.png

Duffy
September 27th, 2011, 02:37 AM
Is it possibly a cracked solder joint at the guitar input jack? Does it do it with the guitar cable unplugged?

kidsmoke
September 27th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Yes it does. Simply sitting, with no cable plugged in.

NWBasser
September 27th, 2011, 01:41 PM
The good news: Euro tubes rocks! I ordered my V22 retube set on Wednesday afternoon. As previously stated, confirmation was personal, and immediate. Followup questions were answered IMMEDIATELY, and there were a few.

The tubes arrived on Saturday morning.

I followed the instructions that were included, and the read the web instructions/tutorials that I was directed to on my invoice.

Tubes are in the amp, and sound great.

Before sending it into the tech, you might want to talk to Bob at Eurotubes. He may have some useful advice for things to try before sending it off.