PDA

View Full Version : Ordered new Peavey amp

Duffy
March 25th, 2011, 12:57 PM
My Egnater Tweaker head unexpectedly suddenly failed on me the other night and checking it out revealed that it needs more than just new power tubes.

Thinking it over I decided to call the place I bought it six months ago and see what kind of deal they could make me if I bought a more expensive amp.

They offered to give me a complete credit of price paid if I bought a more expensive amp.

So, after I finished negotiating, getting an additional fifteen percent off from another dealers promotion, I was able to get a new six hundred dollar amp for 150. This opportunity sort of fell out of the sky for me. I was also considering getting the Fender NOS varnished tweed Blues Jr. with the Jensen speaker, but I have a varnished Hot Rod Deluxe with an ALNICO speaker and the Peavey has sixty watts rather than the fifteen watt BJ and I have been wanting to get another powerful amp that I can crank and get some satisfying high gain sound. Both channels have separate pre/post gain controls. This should be fun.

I ordered a new Peavey 6505+ 112 combo that will plug into my 16 ohm cabinets if desired. The Peavey is a high gain amp with two channels with separate three band eq and other controls for both channels, plus a crunch button that offers somewhat of a third type of channel sort of.

I liked the Tweaker and it was capable of high gain type sounds. I'm glad I decided to move to the Peavey and think that it will be a completely different amp compared to my other amps. This will be a welcome addition to my collection. It has an xlr out with a special type interface that supposedly lets you record straight to your computer, an accutronics reverb tank, and sealed back cabinet.

So far I really like this amp and am looking forward to receiving mine soon. I already have a place set aside for it.

The Tweaker is a great amp head but I'm happy with my decision to go with the Peavey. It is possible that I will consider the Tweaker 40 if it ever materializes.

I'll give a review of the new amp after I get it and have had a chance to learn about it for a while.

Does anyone else here have any experience with the Peavey 6505+ combo?

Feedback, as always, is appreciated.

progrmr
March 25th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Damn sounds like a NICE amp!

VvCdo1qOPCY

What happened to the Tweaker??

Katastrophe
March 25th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Wow, Duffy, what a deal! Congrats, man. 6505s sound awesome. Enjoy!

otaypanky
March 26th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Cool! Where'd you get it?

Duffy
March 26th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Both power tubes blew on the Tweaker and they are solid opaque black on close inspection. Additionally when I replaced the tubes the new tubes got super hot, burning off the stickers, etc.

So I'm looking forward to the Peavey and it will be interesting to see how it holds up. I played the Peavey and it has some really fine sounds in it and I like the feature set - accutronics three spring reverb tank, nice tone shaping controls for individual channels, a great crunch "semi-third channel", pre/post gain on both channels individually, and the closed back design.

Tig
March 27th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Bummer news on the busted amph. Sounds like a capacitor, resistor or other thingie failed, allowing too much current to the tubes.

My Tweaker better fail this year before the extended service agreement ends! Actually, I hope it lives many moons. Let us know how the Peavey sounds...

ZMAN
April 1st, 2011, 07:29 AM
A little bird told me Duffy has received his new amp. I am sure he would like to share his good experience with MF, and revue the new "beast". LOL

Duffy
April 1st, 2011, 08:24 AM
I received the new amp on Wednesday and set it up. It isn't situated where I want it yet but it is plugged in near me here.

I haven't been able to play it enough yet to make a good initial review of it yet, but I can say that I played a couple humbucking guitars thru it so far and that they sounded real good, without adjusting the amp much. The amp needs to be adjusted quite a bit to get the best tones out of it. I can also agree that it sounds real good with single coils too. The cleans sound better with the single coils or something like that, but the single coils sound great. I have to try a P90 yet. That might really roar.

It has two channels, but when you engage the crunch button on the rythym channel it is like having a third very useable channel.

The overdrive is really good sounding, not like the harsh overdrive on my Hot Rod Deluxe, which is still very useable. It is just a real good sounding overdrive and you can overdrive both channels independently.

A lot of guys do speaker changes but I can't see doing that without finding out how this one sounds for quite a while.

I will get some pictures asap.

I got it from MF and was able to work a deal on returning the Tweaker to them to go toward the purchase price. It worked out quite well. This amp has a lot more gain available than the Tweaker, naturally, with a lot more power, but it is still quite nice sounding without cranking it all the way up. Cranking it is very satisfying.

ZMAN
April 1st, 2011, 08:35 AM
Cool, I love it when a plan comes together! I bet a Gibby SG Standard would sound killer through it. LOL

Duffy
April 2nd, 2011, 09:58 AM
This Peavey is a remarkable amp. Handles every guitar I've thrown at it excellently and will be trying some more soon.

Have to get the camera out once I get it situated in my amp set up.