PDA

View Full Version : SX SST Floyd Rose - First impressions

tremoloman
November 14th, 2006, 12:03 PM
SX SST Floyd Rose (http://www.rondomusic.net/product753.html)

I don't have time to do a full review right now, but I have to say THIS GUITAR IS AMAZING!!! The action is as good as my American Deluxes and is $1200 cheaper! Stays in tune awesome, sounds great, and I cannot stress how INCREDIBLE the action is on this neck! I will be ordering (and gigging) these at my next show in a week! Man what an axe for $109!

It did need to be tuned, but the intonation and neck was spot on. The color is similar to Robert's VWH - I love how it changes color from vintage white to banana pudding depending on the light.

The neck on this makes my Powder Blue SX's feel like they are from the stone age as far as action is concerned as they are much larger and higher. I'm going to try filing my frets down on the Poweder Blue to see if I can get ti to play like this puppy.

This SX is a shredders dream! Pics and more greater review details to follow soon!

Did I mention that that sound is wonderful also? The balence between the singles and humbucker are very decent and doesn't suffer from a large volume jump between the two.

SuperSwede
November 14th, 2006, 12:13 PM
T-man! Sounds like a fab axe :)
How is the pickup quality? Much hotter than the powder blue SX?

It will be perfect for your contribution to the upcoming fret.net alliance CD :R

kerc
November 14th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Pics, please! :D.........

Spudman
November 14th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Sounds like everything I had heard about that model. I'm glad they brought it back. They had sold out of them in 2003 when I decided that I wanted one. Now if my conscience will let me...I'll make up for lost time. The price is right for sure.

Put it through the ringer Trem so we know just how durable and good it is.

tremoloman
November 14th, 2006, 04:40 PM
The bridge is obviously hotter than the singles, but they still all have that famous Strat tone. Even the bridge by itself clean sounds nice. My only complaint is that the tremolo bar has a little bit of slop in it, but I think that can be fixed by adding a tiny washer inside it. Not enough to affect your playing, but enough to annoy an ADDer like me. :)

You can divebomb the hell out of this thing and it stays in tune nicely. The guitar is noticable heavier (which I like) and feels more solid than my other SXs. This will now be my axe of choice for my low cost GAS. Now if I could only get one in Black to look like Iron Maidens! :)

Tinky-Winky
November 18th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Have you tried adjusting the neck relied (truss rod) on your powder blue strats, tremoloman? I just changed my squier's action from super high to slinky and low. Hold down the first and fourteenth frets, and take a look at the distance between the fret and the strings on the frets in between the first and fourteenth ones. If this is greater on the powder blue strats than it is on your new one, then I'd reccommend adjusting the neck.

tremoloman
November 20th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Have you tried adjusting the neck relied (truss rod) on your powder blue strats, tremoloman? I just changed my squier's action from super high to slinky and low. Hold down the first and fourteenth frets, and take a look at the distance between the fret and the strings on the frets in between the first and fourteenth ones. If this is greater on the powder blue strats than it is on your new one, then I'd reccommend adjusting the neck.Yeah, the neck is straight - it's just the 57's frets are gigantic in comparison to the FT equipped model. It's an altogether different feel. The fretboard on the FR model is less finished as far as coating, but it's a dream to play.

I'll follow up with some pics very soon I promise! I went to take some for you all this weekend but I can't find my digital camera as of yet.

Take care,
Trem

tremoloman
November 20th, 2006, 11:11 PM
Here are the pics I promised - sorry they aren't the best. My camera takes much better pictures in daylight, but this will have to suffice for now.

TRUST ME - This is an AWESOME guitar!

SuperSwede
November 21st, 2006, 04:29 AM
That color is amazing.. Looks like a nice low profile trem too.

kerc
November 21st, 2006, 06:23 AM
Tremolo, that SX looks classy and cool. Has a certain Malmsteen vibe to it..!

:D

tremoloman
November 24th, 2006, 12:10 AM
Yes, it does look a lot like the Malmsteen model without the scalloped neck and vintage tremolo. The color is so cool! It seems to change color depending on the light level of the room its in. Sometimes its vintage white, bananna pudding, yellow-green, and dark yellow. I'm VERY happy with it!

I do plan on upgrading the tremolo arm with a more solid model from another manufacturer, but besides that I'm not changing a thing until the electrics act up. (These do use those cheap tiny pots, so there will be crackle at some point in the future).

SuperSwede
November 25th, 2006, 04:43 AM
T-man, would a standard low profile floyd rose fit without modifications?

tremoloman
November 23rd, 2007, 08:16 AM
Sorry it was so long for the reply!

I'm going to try upgrading the tremolo on it with a real Floyd Rose. The stock unit would work but it had a little slop in the system. Being a sufferer of OCD I just couldn't live with it like that.

I'll fill you in once I get an upgraded trem installed.

SuperSwede
November 23rd, 2007, 01:49 PM
Sorry it was so long for the reply!

I'm going to try upgrading the tremolo on it with a real Floyd Rose. The stock unit would work but it had a little slop in the system. Being a sufferer of OCD I just couldn't live with it like that.

I'll fill you in once I get an upgraded trem installed.

Its going to be a awesome guitar :)
Let me know how it goes!