PDA

View Full Version : Best pots imho to cook with

mrmudcat
March 27th, 2011, 03:56 AM
www.lecreuset.com
www.staubusa.com

The best enamel over cast iron!!

www.lodgemfg.com is a good alternative cheaper(imported) enamel over cast iron.The L series is the best out of the two lines of E.C.I products. They make the best cast iron pots to this day!!! The only and last american made foundry cast iron pots currently being made I know.

I also have several old cast iron seasoned (griswold,lavec etc.etc.)

peace & luv fo-sho.........MUD

Tig
March 27th, 2011, 04:30 AM
Those look like good quality wares. We use a good ol' cast iron or sometimes stainless pans, depending on the need. Old pyrex still works for square casserole pans, but some of the newer versions have exploded when someone foolishly sets a hot pan on something that acts like a heat sink.

//I recommend staying away from teflon and other petro-chem based non-stick coatings for health reasons. Teflon has been detected in fetuses, crossing over the placenta barrier! This is stuff ya' sure don't want in your body unless cancer is suddenly cool!

mrmudcat
March 27th, 2011, 05:28 AM
Tig, pyrex is still american made....and I agree the nonstick crapola out there is toxic!!!

otaypanky
March 27th, 2011, 02:36 PM
My wife pops cornbread out of my grandma's old iron skillet that would knock your socks off, 'love that stuff. We have some old skillets that are slicker than the non stick stuff and just as easy to maintain.

vroomery
March 27th, 2011, 07:32 PM
I absolutely love Iron Skillets. My mom has one that was her great great grandmothers. I've always said that the only thing I'll have with me when I'm 70 is my acoustic guitar and my moms hand me down iron skillet.

poodlesrule
March 28th, 2011, 09:56 AM
'Used to be able to find cast-iron skillets at yard sales for cheap... No more, folks snap them up quick!

At home, we broil chicken, fish, and it seems like the thickness of the cast-iron helps. I am still trying to find a cleaning method that gets the fish smell out, while not removing too much of the seasoning.

Related: Sweetie bought two All-Clad saucepans back in '83, when we were about to wed, and they are still going strong, daily use. I would think the price probably tripled since then!

Do you have strict rules when it comes to pots and pans, like only plastic/wood utensils in pots and pans..?
We have a weekend place near the shore and (I) pretty much decided not to have other folks use it as I fear for my pots. pans... and KNIFES!

mrmudcat
March 28th, 2011, 03:08 PM
I use wooden spoons and or silicone type utensils. I like them(silicone) with wooden handles ....no metal on any of my pans!!!

piebaldpython
March 28th, 2011, 10:13 PM
The old MAGNALITE pots and pans from the late 40s-early 50s rock.

mrmudcat
March 28th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Yep magnalite since 1934!!!.............:rollover

Was it ever made in the states pie???

More imported /cough china crap.....get some at your local walfart!!!.......The great wall of china:thwap:spank

kidsmoke
March 30th, 2011, 10:22 AM
"Best pots imho to cook with"

CTS 500K, no?

piebaldpython
March 30th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Yep magnalite since 1934!!!.............:rollover

Was it ever made in the states pie???

Geez, I dunno. Hmmmm.....my Mom's family (GERMANIC descent) has always used nothing but Magnalite since well before I was born (I'm 54). It's possible that somebody had connections back in the old country and in one fell swoop, outfitted the whole clan with Magnalite.

Great cooking pots and pans.......indestructible......great conductivity of heat.....and solid enough to raise welts if hit with one.