PDA

View Full Version : Acoustic Overload

kidsmoke
March 27th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Two acts who I only know a little about, sharing a bill tonight.
Anyone here know these guys?

Fareed Haque, this guys all over the map.

BRlu3h6JspA
Je-wEIeXxYI

And then, a bunch of slouches....California Guitar Trio

xdEAccE7BMs

kidsmoke
March 27th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Holy crap. Check this guy out. (bcdon...he plays P90 loaded godin, among other things)
1300 lessons? Are you serious?
zlXEK-tosIA

R_of_G
March 27th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Fareed is, in a word, phenomenal. I got to see him several years ago fronting Garaj Mahal and I have several albums of his other work.

Of particular note is his album Deja Vu, a complete reworking of the Crosby, Stills & Nash album of the same name, which was part of the Blue Note Cover Series of 1997.

He will bring a little bit of everything to a show, but no matter what it is, it always sounds beautiful and masterfully played.

kidsmoke
March 27th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Worlds best guitarist?? Ok, I'm getting stoked. I'm gonna be sitting 10 feet from this guys amp in a couple of hours.

http://fareed.com/home.html

kidsmoke
March 27th, 2011, 03:23 PM
As i dug into this, I thought you had to be familiar with him, R_of_G. I've read about him, and had seen the "night music" piece before, but hadn't dug. Really excited now. Surprised he's opening for CGT, and not the other way around.

Spudman
March 27th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Fareed Haque is indeed amazing. I've enjoyed him for almost a couple of decades now. I'm glad others are discovering him too.

Imagine my surprise when I was talking to a friend of mine and he told me he knows Fareed and has done some gigs with him. That about knocked me over. Have a great time at the show Tio.

kidsmoke
March 27th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Between sets right now. Just spent 15 minutes shooting the breeze with fareed. Very cool guy. Talking alot about his Moog. Favorite line from our conversation....,
"shit sounds good LOUD"
This is a quieter set he opened with, and he'll be doing classical stuff with the trio shortly.

Glad to be opened up to this.

kidsmoke
March 28th, 2011, 07:36 AM
Following up on this.
Both acts were excellent. Found CGT more compelling than expected. Obviously the highlight of the night was killing time with FH after his opening set. He is the quintessential "jazz cat" in his manner of speech and body language. Smiling at everyone and greeting complete strangers as though they were dear old friends. He'll be back in town 2x in may, once with Flat Earth, his hip/jazz/fusion ensemble. Picked up that disc at the show, had him sign it of course. Checking it out this morning. Sun blasting, new music on the stereo. Saw 4 different "shows" this past weekend. Man, it's a good Monday.

R_of_G
March 29th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Glad to hear you had a good show TK, and jealous that you got to meet Fareed.

During the show did he treat you guys to a tune or two on his acoustic rigged with the sympathetic/drone strings (see pic)?

http://www.jazzchicago.net/images/may08/Fareed/f3.jpg

He gets the most beautiful tone out of that thing. When I saw him last (2003 or 2004) he played a gorgeous version of "Tomorrow Never Knows" that was a huge treat.

kidsmoke
March 29th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Unfortunately, no. He played his Moog electric and a Alhambra nylon string classical only. It was in reference to the moog that he made the "loud" comment. He was noodling around with it quite a bit, but no looper, and solo. He commented that to really hear the benefits of the technology, it was best in a group setting where there was lots of sound and he could really turn it up and let it rip. He commented "I oughta get a looper". He said he's never really developed a solo "act", and may work on that.