PDA

View Full Version : Dvm ftw!!

duhvoodooman
March 29th, 2011, 02:48 PM
I'm pretty "chuffed", as our UK members like to say! I just closed a deal with a fellow forum mod over at the BYOC forums to buy one of a pair of "Rocket" amp heads he built last year. For those of you unfamiliar with this amp, it's a clone of one of amp über-guru Ken Fischer's famous Trainwreck designs--based upon the AC30 Top Boost circuit, with some nice tonal improvements made by Ken (may he rest in peace). Originals from Fischer now sell for tens of thousands of dollars and are considered some of the finest sounding amps ever made. Guys like Brad Paisley own them. Similar in reputation to the mythical stature of the Dumble amps.

This one is built with a pair of EL34 power tubes and a Bedrock OT. This guy's word is bond, and he says the cleans from this amp are to die for, and it takes pedals superbly. He's got some medical expenses coming up and put up both of his Rocket clones and also a 50W Bassman head clone that he calls "The Black Amp" for the unbelievable price of just $400 each! I just couldn't let this one go by, even though it is w-a-a-a-a-y-y more amp than I need at about 37W output power. I don't know if I'll end up holding onto it, but this is one I just have to experience for myself.

I'll post some pics when it arrives (prolly next week), but in the meantime, here are some of his. The last two "gut shots" are actually from the other Rocket, not the one I bought, but will give you some idea of the quality of the build:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g9/geekmacdaddy/firesale/IMG_2699.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g9/geekmacdaddy/firesale/IMG_2700.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g9/geekmacdaddy/firesale/IMG_2702.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g9/geekmacdaddy/Rubin%20s%20Rocket/IMG_2530.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g9/geekmacdaddy/Rubin%20s%20Rocket/IMG_2531.jpg

kidsmoke
March 29th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Sweet DVM, that should provide hours of fun. How long before your own new and improved version comes out?

Tig
March 29th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Holy grail of tone, Batman! :cool: That is one seriously cool amph.

Happy (soon to arrive) amph day, DVM.

Katastrophe
March 29th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Beauty, mate (as our Aussie friends would say, I think...)! That is one fine looking amph.

Eric
March 29th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Sweet score -- congrats! We're going to have to start calling you DBVM (duhboutiquevoodooman) pretty soon, with all of your new high-end gear.

NWBasser
March 29th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Hey, that's one sweet amph!

Looks like some pretty top-shelf guts in it.

Congrats man!

oldguy
March 29th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Sweet! That should be a deadly combination w/ the LP!

Y2_12Ler9B8&feature=related

marnold
March 29th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Now, about that amph kit of your own . . . :)

FrankenFretter
March 29th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Wow. Good score, DVM! That should go nicely with that R9 of yours!

duhvoodooman
March 29th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Now, about that amph kit of your own . . . :)Oh, sure--SOMEBODY always has to ruin the moment with a poke from the sharp-ended stick of reality!! :mad ;)

Childbride
March 29th, 2011, 07:38 PM
very cool!

piebaldpython
March 29th, 2011, 11:42 PM
Sweet score DVM.

guitarhack
March 30th, 2011, 07:39 AM
Very cool amp, DVM. And if you decide you don't need it, you know where to find me!

Duffy
March 30th, 2011, 11:46 AM
An amp would be totally in demand. Beautiful tone.

Robert
March 30th, 2011, 03:47 PM
We wants to hear CLIPS of that baby once it arrives. Right, fretters?

Congrats, should be an awesome amp. Hrrm, contact me, should you feel the need to part with it. :)

oldguy
March 30th, 2011, 05:53 PM
We wants to hear CLIPS of that baby once it arrives. Right, fretters?

Congrats, should be an awesome amp. Hrrm, contact me, should you feel the need to part with it. :)

Well, natch! If it's even close to that vid I posted, it'll be absolutely killer!
With DVM's LP it should be really close to that awesome sound!

MAXIFUNK
March 30th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Sweet! That should be a deadly combination w/ the LP!

Y2_12Ler9B8&feature=related

very nice very nice indeed

MAXIFUNK
March 30th, 2011, 07:52 PM
ConGrats DVM droll and envy all the way from LA!!!

otaypanky
March 31st, 2011, 07:19 AM
While we wait for shipping, what is this amp kit of which we speak? :munch:

duhvoodooman
March 31st, 2011, 08:24 AM
THIS (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php/13483). Had it for 16 months now and still haven't even started it. Shameful, I know....

tunghaichuan
March 31st, 2011, 09:12 AM
That amp will be killer.

As you know, I have a Bedrock OT in my EF86 18Watt Vox/Marshall hybrid. When I bought it the seller described it as near class A. Bedrock made increadible sounding OTs.

I know some homebrew builders like to use the Dynaco A470 and its clones in Trainwreck clones, but it is still a hifi (or mid-fi by today's standards) OT. I know some like the extra bandwidth but it always seemed to me that limited bandwidth is a component of the classic tube OD sound.

FWIW, Sunn amplifiers used Dynaco OTs running in UL mode. They are loud, very clean amps.

mrmudcat
March 31st, 2011, 11:59 PM
Oh your killing me overhere!!! Congrats:applause ,the trainwreck amps are to die for!!!! If ya sell it notify me. So this means your selling me

your transatlantic right right.........................right............:so cool

otaypanky
April 1st, 2011, 05:54 AM
Soon after you wind down the pedal pushin' you'll be jonesin' for some solder smoke. My hunch is this thing is gonna get built in the coming months.

duhvoodooman
April 4th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Was thrilled to receive the amp early Saturday morning (except for the FedEx man waking me out of a sound sleep!). With typical weekend hubbub going on, I only had a short time to play through it so far, but HOLY CRAP!!! :eek: Absolutely the best clean tone I've ever personally experienced from an amp. The clarity and chime is just amazing, and now I finally know exactly what they mean when they talk about an amp producing "piano lows". And it takes pedals beautifully, from what I've heard so far. Which is a very good thing, because it has a TON of clean headroom and no master volume. I also nailed a used Weber 50W attenuator on eBay last week, and hope that will allow me to crank this baby up without peeling the paint off the walls. Should be here by the end of the week.

I hope to be able to record a clip or two and post it here, but it won't be for a while, between pedal commitments, keeping the IRS happy, and few other things.

Brian Krashpad
April 5th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Congrats DVM!

I like that compact size for a head. That looks the same size as my Sovtek "Tube Midget."