PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Name

Spudman
March 30th, 2011, 06:53 PM
I thought I'd see how fast I could whip this out just to see if I'm getting any better at using my DAW. I wasn't super fast but I have a better idea about tracking and flow than I did before I tried it. Getting good at recording is such a tough process for me.

Anyway, it's just a cover like you'd hear in some smelly old nightclub.

Here is the backing track
http://www.box.net/shared/0qmdrxskhn

And the finished song
http://www.box.net/shared/vprrulo9h6

piebaldpython
March 30th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Great stuff Spudster.........nice, punchy lead lines.

baldgit
March 30th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Wicked Good! Thx Dan

oldguy
March 31st, 2011, 04:08 AM
Nice playing, you were in the pocket and had a groove going, fo'sho!
I could almost smell the smelly old smells.

R_of_G
March 31st, 2011, 07:35 AM
Your production skills are coming along nicely.

Your guitar skills have been excellent for a long time.

Did you pick that Skynyrd song in particular because it mentions Idaho? :P

kidsmoke
March 31st, 2011, 08:25 AM
Nice stuff! To play that is one thing, to perform it live while playing and singing, which I know you do.....

:master

Do you mic an amp when you record like this, or play through some interface with effects? (sorry, I'm a noob to this side of things)

Spudman
March 31st, 2011, 08:47 AM
Do you mic an amp when you record like this, or play through some interface with effects? (sorry, I'm a noob to this side of things)

This was mostly all done "in the box" so to speak. The only organic component was the condenser mic that I use for vocals. The guitars are all the Behringer Vamp Pro.

Thanks for all the kind comments everyone.

Oldguy - pocket..yes. I found out that my latency was too high before and that was throwing my timing off on past recordings. This time I got it down to 10ms and it seemed to make a difference.

Did you pick that Skynyrd song in particular because it mentions Idaho? :P

Maybe a little bit. :french Mainly I just really relate to the song. When I was on the road we got thrown out of motels, had crew members that would start fights and cause all kinds of problems. Also, it was during the pre aids days and there were many times that I could not remember a woman's name even after being very rigorously involved with them for hours on end. And, we had an agent that would book us hundreds of miles away from or last show. The song just really adds up for me.

duhvoodooman
March 31st, 2011, 08:48 AM
Nicely rendered! :thumbsup That's prolly my favorite Skynyrd song.