PDA

View Full Version : NBD: Ibanez Prestige SR1000

Eric
March 31st, 2011, 06:04 PM
Snagged this guy tonight for $400:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_Y7wRWf2Q3MI/TZiyOkrwIpI/AAAAAAAAAgY/EG-F4RbSCr8/s640/0331111947.jpg

USA Bartolini pickups in it, whatever that means; I think it's significant to bass players.

Yay! I have a bass again!

Spudman
March 31st, 2011, 06:33 PM
Wow! Congratulations in a big way. The case alone goes for over $100. Major score for you. Sweet!:AOK

Tig
April 1st, 2011, 01:05 AM
Wow, that was an incredible buy! Nice find, Eric!

NWBasser
April 1st, 2011, 11:13 AM
WOW!!!!

Freakin' amazing deal!

How does it play? Sound?

Happy New Bass Day to you!!!!

A particular thing about that bridge; its designed to isolate string vibrations so that you don't get string-to-string sympathetic vibrations typical of a one-piece bridge. A cool feature.

Eric
April 1st, 2011, 11:30 AM
How does it play? Sound?
Plays really well -- the neck feels really smooth compared to a lot of basses I've played. I haven't gone way up to use the neck-through much, but it's nice to have.

Also sounds really good. When I was fiddling with it at the guy's house, I was most surprised by how it was 100% silent. He said they were single-coils pups, but not even a hint of noise. I'm not sure if it'll be that quiet when I eventually get my bass amp back, but the pickups seem nice.

The most striking thing, however, was how the EQ responds. It's a 3-band active EQ with sweepable mids, and combined with the pickup pan knob (twist to blend pups), it seemed like I could get pretty much whatever sound I wanted. I don't know bass tonez that well, but it certainly seemed to offer a wide range of sounds.

As an added bonus, my wife loves it. She's a big fan of natural finishes, and I've taught her to play a tiny bit of bass in the past. She basically said it's what her bass would look like if she were to specify one. She was actually kind of excited when I took it out of the case.

In describing this, I feel like I don't have much credibility, given my severe lack of bass experience, but from what I can tell it's a very nice bass. I'm glad I pulled the trigger.

NWBasser
April 1st, 2011, 11:43 AM
In describing this, I feel like I don't have much credibility, given my severe lack of bass experience, but from what I can tell it's a very nice bass. I'm glad I pulled the trigger.

Very nice indeed! Those are considered one of the best basses around. If you had more knowledge of basses, you'd realize that you may have gotten the deal of the century. Sort of like paying $400 for a Gibson Les Paul Standard...

BTW - The pup's are humbuckers. Considered soapbar style, it's essentially a humbucking P-bass pu inside of a bigger housing. Not at all surprising that it's silent.

That's one very fine instrument and should give many years of sweet bass playing.
The pre is most likely a USA Bart system as well. Keep a spare 9-volt in the case.

Eric
April 1st, 2011, 11:53 AM
The pre is most likely a USA Bart system as well. Keep a spare 9-volt in the case.
I thought I read somewhere that for this model (the exact model is SR1000EWNNTF) it doesn't have the Bartolini EQ. I think this might be some sort of custom-made Sam Ash model or something, from what Google has told me, partially because I can't find anywhere else that has sold it.

So it might be worth a little less than what you say, but whatever. Either way it was a very good deal. I'm glad I bumbled into it and you convinced me to buy it!

Here's the link: http://www.samash.com/p/Ibanez_SR1000EWNNTF%20SR%20Prestige%204%20String%2 0Bass%20Walnut%20Top_-49962709

MAXIFUNK
April 1st, 2011, 12:36 PM
I love the Bartolini pickups on my Ibanez SR-500 the EQ will let you get all the tone sounds you are looking for out of that sucker.
Neck-through makes it even better. Great deal for $400.00. That is one Bass that could last you a life time. :applause:applause:dude

ONE HECK OF A MAJOR SCORE. :happy

NWBasser
April 1st, 2011, 01:14 PM
Oh snap!

I forgot to say, "That bass is beeuutifulll!!"

The walnut is stunning.

That one's pretty close to Maxi's dream bass. I think he wants the 5-string Prestige. I'm sure he'd be a ready buyer if it doesn't work out for you.

Duffy
April 2nd, 2011, 09:55 AM
What are you going to do for a bass amp.

You mentioned getting your bass amp back. Did you have one that you might be able to get back?

There are a lot of great deals out there on great bass amps used and new.

One hint is to get a bass amp that is three times the watts of the guitar players amp, in order to have the power to compete. Of course this is a general rule.

I have two bigger amps, a Fender Rumble 100 and an older Peavey TNT 115 that is quite awesome; but I use a little new Marshall MB30 ten inch practice bass amp for all my home playing and it handles the low B on a five string without any problem what so ever.

That looks like a really nice bass. Definitely more than enough to have lots of fun with.

Good luck on getting the amp back.

Eric
April 2nd, 2011, 02:35 PM
It's an Acoustic B20 that is on loan to my drummer friend. I'm going to see about getting it back from him. It's not the world's greatest bass amp, but it seems to be OK. If I decide to get a "real" bass amp, I'll bear in mind that 3x rule. Thanks for the tip.

Duffy
April 3rd, 2011, 08:13 AM
That acoustic B20 sounds like a great practice and small show amp, something like my neat little marshall. I hope you get it back soon so you can enjoy that new bass. Have you ever tried flat wound bass strings - they are more mellow and smooth on the fingers. I even put some on a P90 guitar to mellow it out, as well as on my hollow body electric, 10's.

hubberjub
April 8th, 2011, 12:57 PM
That's not just a bass, it's a great bass. The Ibanez Prestige line is top notch.

marnold
April 8th, 2011, 03:39 PM
I've got a B20. Not very loud but it sounds great. I don't need loud right now.

I'm afraid to tell you that from looking more at the picture, the bass is clearly defective. I'll need you to ship it to me for a closer examination.

NWBasser
April 8th, 2011, 03:44 PM
I've got a B20. Not very loud but it sounds great. I don't need loud right now.

I'm afraid to tell you that from looking more at the picture, the bass is clearly defective. I'll need you to ship it to me for a closer examination.

Whoa! Hold on there, this one needs to be examined by a bass expert.

Someone with nearly 30 years of 4-string experience under their belt.

Somebody who has played hundreds, if not thousands, of basses of all stripes.

A person who eats, breathes, and sleeps bass.

Eric, I'll PM my shipping address...

Katastrophe
April 8th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Eric, do me a favor, will ya?

Call the guy you bought that bass from and ask if he filed a police report. BECAUSE I THINK YOU STOLE IT!

Great deal on a fantastic bass, man... I'm happy for you!

Just a warning, though... Having a bass around the house can cause your skinny string guitars to feel neglected. Enjoy!

Tig
April 8th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Warning! :poke
http://www.guitarsquid.com/images/stories/Top_Stories/Apr11/guitarsquiddotcom_warning_bass.jpg

Eric
April 8th, 2011, 11:41 PM
Luckily, I'm already married to an amazing woman, so the chick attraction isn't too big of a concern to me. Seriously though, I appreciate the comments from all of you. I need to dig in a little bit more on this bass, but it's definitely a nice item. I'm out of town right now, but will give it some more time once I arrive back home.

stingx
April 9th, 2011, 08:02 AM
That's a really nice bass you scored, Eric. Enjoy it.

NWBasser
April 9th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Luckily, I'm already married to an amazing woman, so the chick attraction isn't too big of a concern to me.

Ditto here.

That pic was pretty darn funny though.

I should post a copy on one of the bass player forums.

NWBasser
April 15th, 2011, 03:45 PM
So Eric, have you had a chance to get to know the new bass yet?

Eric
April 15th, 2011, 04:10 PM
So Eric, have you had a chance to get to know the new bass yet?
Sadly, no. The last few weeks have either involved me A) being out of town, B) working overtime, or C) doing house projects.

I am slated to get my bass amp back tonight though, so I'll be able to better appreciate the bassocity of it. I'm considering trying to join some group as a bassist, just to see how I like it, but I'm not sure if my schedule will allow.

scruff
April 27th, 2011, 09:04 AM
That's been my experience. "Sorry, I like guitar players." LOL

NWBasser
June 21st, 2011, 04:07 PM
Hey Eric, please tell me you've played the new bass a bit and have a tone report for us.

Eric
June 21st, 2011, 08:43 PM
Hey Eric, please tell me you've played the new bass a bit and have a tone report for us.
Nopers -- sorry. I'd like to say I have played it, but I just don't have much occasion to do so right now. If I was to give you a report at this point, it would be the same meaningless hyperbole that anyone who tries one in a store would give you.

Eventually...

NWBasser
June 22nd, 2011, 12:05 PM
Nopers -- sorry. I'd like to say I have played it, but I just don't have much occasion to do so right now. If I was to give you a report at this point, it would be the same meaningless hyperbole that anyone who tries one in a store would give you.

Eventually...

Either that, or the useless drivel that I spout on about when reviewing an instrument.

Ah, I'm just not so great with adjectives in describing music gear.

Pickngrin
June 22nd, 2011, 06:16 PM
Wow, Eric. Congrats. It might sound a bit redundant now, but that is a beautiful bass. I've heard great things about those pickups, and of course that model Ibanez. It sure would make me want to play more bass. Please let us know how the urgent safety inspections go after you receive the bass back from our kind soul Fretters ;-)

progrmr
June 24th, 2011, 12:15 PM
$400...!!!! :face_shock

That's a STEAL - SWEET Bass! Those Ibanez neck-through basses look great and play awesome too.