PDA

View Full Version : Quest for a gigging keyboard

Monkus
April 1st, 2011, 10:38 AM
My faithful 15 y.o. PSR-740, needs to retire comfortably to my home studio.

Criterion:
1. 1500 US or under
2. Portability, 73 keys
3. Great standard pianos, organs and strings.

Suggestions?

hubberjub
April 1st, 2011, 12:27 PM
B-3 with Leslie 122. That was simple. You did mean under 1500 pounds, right?

Monkus
April 1st, 2011, 12:34 PM
:rollover i wish ...

hubberjub
April 6th, 2011, 06:57 AM
On a serious note, the Nord Electros are great. I know five or six gigging keyboardists who use them.

kidsmoke
April 6th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Korg is currently trying to give one away (http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/211972/ff8ee8464b/184004895/f7a6321d2f/). Not affiliated, just on their email list.

Monkus
April 12th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Thanks for the responses, I think I've narrowed it down to either:

Nord Electro 3 (71 keys)
Korg SV1 (71 keys)

or maybe a controller keyboard and module(s), but still researching those...

Monkus
March 17th, 2013, 11:16 AM
After two years of trying different boards, I've finally found her !!! Presenting the Korg Kronos X 73. Beautiful, just beautiful, ...sniff...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VQ40etABsc

No affiliation ...

Spudman
March 17th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Korg makes some really nice synths. Congrats (he says enviously) Either this or the Nord would have been a good choice. Why did you go with the Korg?

Monkus
March 31st, 2013, 08:21 AM
Korg makes some really nice synths. Congrats (he says enviously) Either this or the Nord would have been a good choice. Why did you go with the Korg?

It just felt right. I've always been a yamaha guy, having owned a few including the S90 and 740, which I still have. So it was kinda difficult to choose the Korg.

The pianos in the Kronos are incredible and the aftertouch is amazing. The ability to layer 16 patches, 9 seperate and coherent sound engines, and the ability to assign your own split points. I've had her for about 2 months now and I still haven't gotten past the pianos.

Did a gig recently and Jump and Tom Sawyer was in the setlist. The KronosX nailed it. We also did Bruno Mars' Locked out of Heaven and Jump into the Fog by the Wombats. As close to the original tones as I've ever gotten. Including the Cuica in the Bruno Mars. The setlist is another thing. You can assign the patches to a setlist feature and call them up by touching the screen. The previous patch will sustain until you play the new patch, so there's no latency or cutoff. I can also assign other patches like pads or organs to a controller via midi, so rather than taking two full keyboards I can just slap in a small midi controller , or nanopad.

I'm only still scratching the surface. :)

Tig
March 31st, 2013, 10:12 AM
Cool! I missed this thread in 2011 as well as 2013. I demo'ed the Kronos and was impressed in no time.

I had a really nice Korg in the past and wish I still had it. I'm GASing for their SV-1 for the uber-authentic modeling.

Monkus
April 4th, 2013, 06:59 AM
I was gas-ing something fierce for the SV-1 about a year ago. Now that I have the KronosX, it hasn't abated. My left shoulder angel is trying to justify it for church but I'm not listening.....yet ... :)