PDA

View Full Version : Picking forms - Video lesson

Jimi75
April 2nd, 2011, 03:42 PM
Hey friends,

I have put up a new lesson concentrating on string transitions, inside and outside picking, and main picking forms of the right hand. Again I have tried to cover a topic that seems not to be well covered so far. There is tons of lessons regarding alternate picking, but nobody seems to take care of the the "little" things going on between two strings.
Would be glad to get some feedback from you guys :-)

Hopefully, you like the stuff....

HlfUvvmSxcM

tjcurtin1
April 3rd, 2011, 05:58 PM
Hey Jimi - once again, a really interesting topic that I never would have known about - thanks for clearing up the 'inside/outside' question. This will really help make me more conscious about what the right hand is doing; till now, I've only given it thought when I run into difficulty, or to practice being conscious of alternate picking. Only suggestion is that a clearer/closer view of the right hand here might have been useful.

Best, Ted.

Jimi75
April 3rd, 2011, 11:45 PM
Hey Jimi - once again, a really interesting topic that I never would have known about - thanks for clearing up the 'inside/outside' question. This will really help make me more conscious about what the right hand is doing; till now, I've only given it thought when I run into difficulty, or to practice being conscious of alternate picking. Only suggestion is that a clearer/closer view of the right hand here might have been useful.

Best, Ted.

Thanks TJ. In fact it was your feedback on my last video that brought me to the idea of sharing some ideas on inside and outside picking. I have to say thanks to you!
I'll keep in mind bringing my right hand closer to the cam the next time.

Tig
April 5th, 2011, 08:03 AM
I finally got to watch this (youtube is blocked at work). This is a nice detailed subset of your Core concepts of economical playing (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php/18090-Core-concepts-of-economical-playing) lesson/thread. By accident and occasional intension, I use some of these picking techniques. When learning a new lick that just isn't working right, I have to alter the picking pattern to fit the selection. Thanks to your lesson, I'll utilize a more thoughtful method of picking patterns instead of muscling my way through!

This also reminds me a little of snow skiing, motorcycle/bike riding, or driving...
In order to hit a series of turns in the most economical or quickest way, each turn must also set you up to attack the following turn, etc.