PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Reed 1977

Spudman
November 15th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Jerry Reed was certainly a master of the guitar. Often overlooked and forgotten. Here he is in 1977 proving that he's no slouch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqq1N1Ez0z0&mode=related&search=

Hang on!

Hogfullofblues
November 15th, 2006, 04:16 PM
This is the guy from the Burt Reynolds movies! I had no clue who he was.

Spudman
November 15th, 2006, 04:34 PM

Roger that good buddy. He was an extremely talented guy.

t_ross33
November 15th, 2006, 04:34 PM

Jerry was chicken pickin' and grinnin' long before he was a famous "movie star". He sang the theme for Smokey and the Bandit, "East Bound and Down" (recently covered by Canada's "the Roadhammers"). When I was a kid, we had an 8-track of a live country show that featured Jerry and Chet together. THAT was some amazing pickin'!

Thanks for the link! :DR

Trev

jpfeifer
November 15th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Thanks for posting that. Jerry Reed is a great player. One of my grade school friends' dad was really into Jerry Reed when I was a kid. He would play these records of Jerry Reed and Chet Atkins playing together. What a great player that guy is. I remember reading an interview with Eric Johnson and he mentions Jerry Reed as one of his influences.

-- Jim

Plank_Spanker
November 15th, 2006, 05:29 PM
He's a monster player, for sure!:D

...............................but never seems to get the props the he so justly earned.

Tone2TheBone
November 16th, 2006, 11:04 AM
He's one of my all time favorite old school pickers! I used to think he slayed back when I was a kid. I was always amazed at his talent. I remember watching Smoky and the Bandit in the theater when it came out and thinking they should have made his character a gigging musician just so that he could play.

SuperSwede
November 16th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Very impressive!
He had a really weird cutaway on his guitar, but the guitar sounds really good.

Btw, I havent seen smokey and the bandit in ages.. He was the truckdriver, right?

Tone2TheBone
May 17th, 2007, 02:23 PM
I saw Smokey and the Bandit again the other night on DVD and it reminded me of this thread. For us old guys (damn I never thought I'd ever say that)...here's Jerry again with the help of the incomparable Mr. Chet Atkins. AND Chet was sweep pickin' arpeggios long before Yngwie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni8KBhnebwE&mode=related&search=

guitartist
May 17th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Good ol'Jerry Reed! Wow, I hadn't thought about him in a while...when I was in the 6th grade I bought his album that had "The Claw" on it....used to listen to it all the time back then. He can definitely play!

I didn't even know he was in Smokey & the Bandit, I've never seen it. One of these days...!

sunvalleylaw
May 17th, 2007, 03:38 PM
They apparently just pulled the vid. :-(

tot_Ou_tard
May 17th, 2007, 06:13 PM
They apparently just pulled the vid. :-(

That's completely idiotic. It would only increase the desire to get his albums.
There's waaaaayy too many screws loose in the music biz today.

I had the Preacher & the Bear single when I was young. I was the only kid in my town who had even heard of him.

I must'a bought it at a garage sale.

Boy! I was weird...still am. ;)

Love Jerry Reed.

Spudman
May 17th, 2007, 10:00 PM
The video worked for me and it's friggen awesome!
My brain will never work the way it takes to play like that.
So pay attention kids...head trauma is NOT a good thing.:o

Big_Rob
May 18th, 2007, 11:08 AM
*Sings*

East bound and down, loaded up and truckin! We gonna do what they say cant be done.

We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there.

Im east bound, just watch ole Bandit run.

Hells yeah!

Tone2TheBone
May 18th, 2007, 11:52 AM
The Snowman rides again. *honk honnnnk* :)