PDA

View Full Version : Tuner Pedals

marnold
April 5th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Yeah, yeah, but you can't tuner fish.

Anyway.

My Korg CA-20 seems to be heading for the last round-up. The power button only works occasionally and it will sometimes turn itself off when I put it down. I'm looking for suggestions for a tuner pedal. Ideally, I'd like a Strobostomp, just because it's a PITA to set intonation properly with my Korg. They are awfully expensive though. True bypass and mute would be nice, but not necessarily deal-breakers (especially the "mute" part).

Spudman
April 5th, 2011, 07:05 PM
I've been very happy with the Ibanez LU20. Easily found for less than $30 and will do all that you require. I liked my first one so much I bought another...mainly because it was a killer deal...and works very well. It also comes in silver.
http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php/17741-Ibanez-pedal-good-deals?highlight=ibanez+lu20

http://www.dv247.com/assets/products/60223_p.jpg

Duffy
April 6th, 2011, 05:48 AM
I picked up a B stock Ibanez Hardwire tuner and it is my favorite so far. Very visible and effective. Make precision tuning faster and easier, for me at least. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a great tuner.

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/4/9/3/564493.jpg

Eric
April 6th, 2011, 05:49 AM
Most people will probably tell you either the Korg Pitchblack or TCE Polytune. I have the Pitchblack and it's quite nice; I like it a lot. I think you can get 'em from Amazon for $75 or something. It also has a strobe mode if that's your thing.

Honestly though, since getting a Snark tuner (http://www.amazon.com/Snark-Products-SN1-SN-1-Tuner/dp/B003VWJ2K8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1302090026&sr=1-1)for Christmas, I use that 90% of the time. I'm kind of an OCD tuning junkie, so I put it on whatever guitar I'm using for practice and away I go, including when I'm playing "for real". I don't know the specs of it, but it seems to be as accurate as the Pitchblack, which is really saying something for a clip-on tuner.

The only thing I'll say against it is that once my bass friend was trying to use it to tune down a half-step, and the thing would not give him a straight reading. I didn't understand, since it usually works fine for bass.

Anyway, good luck in your search.

Duffy
April 6th, 2011, 06:01 AM
I was surprised that I like the Hardwire way better than the pitchblack, but I use them both; and they are both the best tuners I've ever had.

marnold
April 6th, 2011, 06:16 AM
I was surprised that I like the Hardwire way better than the pitchblack, but I use them both; and they are both the best tuners I've ever had.

Minor point, but the Hardwire is actually made by Digitech.

Along those same lines, I've been looking at trading my delay for/towards a Hardwire Delay. It's true bypass and has a looper you could actually use.

Duffy
April 6th, 2011, 09:51 AM
I had taken it for granted that the Hardwire series was digitech made. I should have included that connection for those that are not aware of the connection.

The Hardwires are very nice in my opinion. I also have the reverb pedal and it is very nice. I use it all the time it seems.

marnold
April 6th, 2011, 11:10 AM
I had taken it for granted that the Hardwire series was digitech made. I should have included that connection for those that are not aware of the connection.

The reason I said that is because you called it an "Ibanez Hardwire" in your original post.

Duffy
April 6th, 2011, 11:58 AM
I didn't even notice that. Thanks for the correction. That's what can happen when you take things for granted. I have an Ibanez delay that is a pretty cool pedal though.

Spudman
April 6th, 2011, 12:29 PM
For what it's worth the Ibanez tuner is true bypass and has the same output options as the Digitech.

bcdon
April 21st, 2011, 04:49 PM
TC polytune vs Hardwire poly (ht-6) vs Korg pitchblack ? They all look pretty good, which one do you think I should get? I saw that the TC polytune doesn't work in poly mode for drop-d but they'll have a software update.

Eric
April 21st, 2011, 09:09 PM
TC polytune vs Hardwire poly (ht-6) vs Korg pitchblack ? They all look pretty good, which one do you think I should get? I saw that the TC polytune doesn't work in poly mode for drop-d but they'll have a software update.
There's also a relatively new one: Sonic Research Turbo Tuner ST-200. I think that's the most accurate of the bunch IIRC.

bcdon
April 21st, 2011, 09:41 PM
Thanks, Eric. Maybe I'll just stick with my little Korg TM-40... I was thinking about getting a stomp box version
but I think I talked myself out of it. ;)
http://www.korg.com/uploads/Images/TM40PW_1000_634189309458920000.png

otaypanky
April 22nd, 2011, 06:04 AM
I'm a bit like Eric, a little OCD about tuning, so I have a number of tuners hanging around.
I had a Strobostomp. It was cool, worked well and registered a note almost immediately. You get the hang of a strobe display pretty quickly and it's quite accurate. It was a pretty large pedal and not the most easily read display around. It was an older model. I sold it and don't miss it.
Sonic Research Turbo Tuner ~ I like this one a lot **** Sturdy construction, small size, easily read and bright display, very fast and accurate ~
TC Polytune - I won it in a raffle and thought it was "gimmicky" until I received it and started using it. Well constructed nice size pedal, easy to read display, one large fastener to access battery compartment (good design), poly string function is convenient. It has power in and out jacks if you are using a One Spot or daisy chaining your pedals. If I remember correctly it also has a strobe mode but I don't use it.
This is the one I stick in my case if I'm heading out to a jam.
I have an old boss TU-3 pedal tuner and it's a dependable tuner. Reasonably fast and pretty accurate, power in and out jacks. Big boxy size and shape ~
Fishman clip on, gets you close, that's it. But it is small and convenient for some situations.
Ibanez, Korg, and Boss TU-12 small tuners. The TU-12 is good, the Korg is ok, and the Ibanez is poor~

Eric
April 22nd, 2011, 06:26 AM
Thanks, Eric. Maybe I'll just stick with my little Korg TM-40... I was thinking about getting a stomp box version
but I think I talked myself out of it. ;)
If you were looking for something a bit more convenient, I truly would recommend you at least look at the Snark Tuner I mentioned earlier. It's 10 bucks and is amazingly useful.

I was never a huge fan of clip-on tuners because I thought they were inaccurate and too expensive, but the Snark has made a believer out of me. It's very accurate, cheap, and works great.

Just an idea if you're looking for a convenient tuner and want to buy yourself a cheap toy...

marnold
April 22nd, 2011, 06:52 AM
I've been looking at the Turbo Tuner. Everything I've seen online about them seems to be overwhelmingly positive, which almost never happens. I've just got to save up a bit for it. Having played my bass a bit more recently, I've been reminded of how badly my Korg handles my bass.

barber76
April 22nd, 2011, 10:32 AM
I've got myself Morley Accu-tuner.
Pluses:
- Morley is usually in 1% of brands NOT excluded from GC discount coupons. :D
- very big LED display, good for such semi-blind mole as me.
Minuses:
- battery cover door is on screw, so you can't change battery without screwdriver.

Commodore 64
April 22nd, 2011, 01:25 PM
I use a Snark and a TC Polytune. Snark is great at Jam parties where you can't here your guitar to tune it amongst the ruckus.

markb
April 22nd, 2011, 03:43 PM
Tuners? For me it's a blue Snark in the guitar case, a PitchBlack on the board and a Boss TU12H for intonation adjustments.

Ch0jin
April 25th, 2011, 02:39 AM
I use the GFT-90 (http://www.guitarfetish.com/IN-STOCK-GFS-Electronics-Digital-Tuner-single-Footpedal-Space-SUPER-BRIGHT_p_1084.html) from Guitar Fetish. $39, Mute out, True Bypass and extremely visible display. Works for me.