PDA

View Full Version : Digitech Main Squeeze

kidsmoke
April 6th, 2011, 09:49 AM
this is one of many inexpensive mass produced compressors out there. Found one for sale and would like to try it, to see if it's any improvement over my Boss CS-3, which I don't like. It reduces overall out put too much. The Boss could be a faulty pedal, as I bought it used some time ago. Unless somebody tells me Digitech is junk, I'll probably give it a shot for comparison purposes.

tunghaichuan
April 6th, 2011, 02:50 PM
this is one of many inexpensive mass produced compressors out there. Found one for sale and would like to try it, to see if it's any improvement over my Boss CS-3, which I don't like. It reduces overall out put too much. The Boss could be a faulty pedal, as I bought it used some time ago. Unless somebody tells me Digitech is junk, I'll probably give it a shot for comparison purposes.

I don't know anything about the Digitech pedal, but I will say that it sounds like something is wrong with your Boss compressor. I've owned at least three over the years and none of them reduced the output. Just for comparison's sake, you may want to try another out in a local guitar store just to see.

deeaa
April 8th, 2011, 09:28 PM
I for one always disliked the Boss for just that reason - it eats away at sound and volume like pac-man, like all traditional compressors - I prefer more like a compressor/expander that can be used as a boost rather than a compressor only.

Best cheap comp I've tried is the Marshall ED-1, it doesn't reduce the volume like the boss at all&works real well as a booster pedal as well. I haven't tried the main squeeze so can't comment on that but I've never come accross a digitech pedal I'd like which has made me leery of them.

kidsmoke
April 9th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the feedback, I'm gonna pass on it. And tung, I should be able to play a friends CS-3, just to confirm whether or not mine is acting abnormal. the "eats away at sound" comment sounds about right.

deeaa
April 9th, 2011, 10:30 AM
BTW the tendencies of pedals eating sound varies greatly from setup to setup.

Just today I was testing the wah pedal placement again; I don't like it so much 1st in the chain any more, as I've grown tired of too 'neat' a wah sound but putting it after OD's sucked tone, seemed to me the sound was worse off even when it's off.
BUT then I put it in a loop after ID but before delay etc - I guess it's a buffered loop - and voilá it works like a charm. Go figure. Despite my CS3 sucked tone in front of _my_ amp it might not do that in other setups, hell, might not do it in the loop like wah.