PDA

View Full Version : The Commodore 64 is making a comeback

FrankenFretter
April 7th, 2011, 07:10 AM
This (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12997245) is kind of cool.

Fans of retro computing will soon be able to buy a modern PC clad in a classic case.

Commodore is making a Windows PC that fits inside a boxy beige shell that looks exactly like its original C64.

The 8-bit machine was released in 1982, had 64 kilobytes of memory and became one of the best-selling computers ever.

Commodore's updated version will run Windows 7 but also has an emulator capable of playing games written for its ancestor.

Commodore has started taking orders for the C64x, priced at $595 (£364), and said the machines would ship between May and June. It is expected to appear in shops later in the year.

The machine's internal hardware will be based around a dual-core Intel Atom D525, a chip typically found in notebook computers. The 1.8Ghz chip is far faster than the 8-bit 1MHz MOS 6502 processor used in the 80's original.

The C64x will also use an integrated Nvidia graphics chip and buyers have the option of equipping a model with a Bluray DVD player. All the hardware for the machine fits inside the keyboard case.

The first models will sport the same taupe colour scheme as the original along with a "clicky" keyboard familiar to anyone who used the older C64 or its predecessor, the Vic 20.

Eric
April 7th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Cool, even if I never had a Commodore 64. Come to think of it, I didn't have a video game system until the Sega Genesis. I was way behind the times.

Katastrophe
April 7th, 2011, 06:31 PM
I had the C64's competitor, the Atari 800XL... With a 800 baud modem, I could fly down the information goat path, calling BBS boards and making posts. It was heady stuff back then, I tell ya...

I think it's kinda cool that computing is getting retro... Just as long as they don't start up the whole relic thing.

FrankenFretter
April 7th, 2011, 06:53 PM
I think it's kinda cool that computing is getting retro... Just as long as they don't start up the whole relic thing.

Oh, you mean like crumbling up Cheetos all over the keyboard and then spraying it with Mountain Dew?

Jimi75
April 8th, 2011, 01:47 AM
I've seen that before and I liked what I saw. MAN those were still great times, playing California Games and Test Drive on the C64, staying up all night being on an 8Bit trip ;-)

The C64 was a great device.

deeaa
April 8th, 2011, 03:26 AM
Yeah! I got a C64 right when it was available...with a cassette player, and after two years finally a disk drive for it.
For the first six months I only had one game, SuperScramble, and slowly they started to accumulate...
Decathlon, Summer/Winter etc. games were the most played, my favorites were Wizard of Wor for 2-player and Bruce Lee...in the end there were hundreds of games. Must have gone thru at least a dozen game controllers, they always broke up in no time at all.

Then came Amiga 500, and later PC's...those were the times...

I actually bought an old C64 set from my then workplace, with disk drive and everything in 2001 or so, and played it for a week or so, reliving the past for a while, and then sold it on for a nice profit.

syo
April 8th, 2011, 04:59 AM
Oh, you mean like crumbling up Cheetos all over the keyboard and then spraying it with Mountain Dew?
:rollover :AOK

deeaa
April 8th, 2011, 05:08 AM
Relic'd computers...yea that's a riot...for just a $100 more you can have a harddrive that wheezes like it's in its death throes for that unique feeling you had with your 386 in the past...and not forgetting those bright LED displays to show off the speed of the CPU :-)

Damn, now that I think of it, how cool it would indeed be to build a modern computer into the 386 box I had in the early 90's...man, that's look RETRO :-)

Commodore 64
April 8th, 2011, 08:39 AM
http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_C64.aspx

Pretty cool.

syo
April 8th, 2011, 09:12 AM
http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_C64.aspx

Pretty cool.

I agree, however why am I not surprised that you think so? :D

Tig
April 8th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Better than the ol' Trash 80 (Radioshack's TRS 80). My first home system was an Apple 2e.

I remember working on 8088 and 8086 PC's and clones, back before hard drives and color monitors.

FrankenFretter
April 8th, 2011, 06:58 PM
My first computer class in high school back in the 80s, they were using TRS 80s. Boy was that boring.

marnold
April 8th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Actually, I skipped the C64. I had a VIC-20 and then eventually upgraded to the C128. I wrote games for both of them. I think of that tape drive and 300 baud modem every time I'm tempted to complain about speed. I almost wish I could go back to talk to my 15 year old self and blow my mind at the power I'd have in freaking phone in 2011.