PDA

View Full Version : OT: Interesting quote for Friday (Carl jung)

poodlesrule
April 7th, 2011, 08:02 AM
"There are as many nights as days, and the one is just as long as the other in the year's course. Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word 'happy' would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness." Carl Jung.

There gotta be someone, somewhere who put this to music?

You can respond with a quote of your own.
Remember... ZZ-top quotes gets extra points...!!

On a more serious note, I vaguely recall that Mr.Jung, in his old age, was foreseeing a dark era coming to humanity. I think we are just sitting on its threshold...

tunghaichuan
April 7th, 2011, 09:12 AM
"There are as many nights as days, and the one is just as long as the other in the year's course. Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word 'happy' would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness." Carl Jung.

Sound like he is paraphrasing verse 2 of the Daodejing (http://academic.brooklyn.cuny.edu/core9/phalsall/texts/taote-v3.html#2). In Taoist philosophy polar opposites aren't polar opposites, they are merely two different sides of the same coin and cannot exist without each other.

On a more serious note, I vaguely recall that Mr.Jung, in his old age, was foreseeing a dark era coming to humanity. I think we are just sitting on its threshold...

IDK, people have been predicting the end of the world as far back as written history, and most likely way before. There has always been darkness and evil in the world. When apocalyptic predictions inevitably don't come true, people do what they've always done: they tell themselves that the prediction was misunderstood and reinterpret it.

My favorite Jung quote:

Your vision will become clear only when you look into your heart. Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakens.

Katastrophe
April 7th, 2011, 06:17 PM
I see your Jung, and raise you a Maslow:

“A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write, if he is to be ultimately at peace with himself.”

Childbride
April 7th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Billy Gibbons: Muddy Waters taught us "You don't have to be the best one, just be a good 'un." That just about says it all, always strive to be a good 'un.