PDA

View Full Version : Tribute to a great Southern rocker

Duffy
April 8th, 2011, 10:21 PM
I happened to find this tonight and thought some of you that love Southern rock might like this.

I play drums as my main instrument and love to play to "Can't You See", written by him. One of the greatest Southern Rock guitarists, songwriters, and singers in history. I saw them open for the Allman Brothers in '71 or '72. Couldn't decide which band was better. In fact we got to Saratoga a little late and I actually thought they were the Allman Brothers until the Allman Brothers came on later. Spectacular night of music.

If you haven't listened to the Marshall Tucker Band you might want to find one of their old albums that had the original lineup. The more recent versions are supposedly generally considered masquerades and unrepresentative of the original band. Most of the original lineup had disbanded or died by the mid '80s. Several of the original members served in the military between approx. '66 and '69 and Toy Caldwell served in Viet Nam. They hailed from Spartanburg, South Carolina, near the Southern Appalachian Mountains in the Southern hardwood forest. Very fine furniture is now manufactured in the area. Wet Willie and the Allman Brothers were instrumental in their rise to fame.

Some of the early albums are: The Marshall Tucker Band (album); Searchin' for a Rainbow; Carolina Dreams; and Running Like the Wind. Toy Caldwell wrote most of the songs and played most of the leads on a Les Paul. Many consider him to be one of the finest guitar players in history.

These are the real lyrics of the tribute to Toy Caldwell written by a fellow original member. It might hit home pretty squarely if you were a fan and haven't read it. I hope you find it interesting:

The Journey Home
by George McCorkle

I didn't want to believe it
When I heard the news
Another old friend was gone
Those of us who loved him
All gathered around
And started singing those old sweet songs
With our backs to a Carolina wind
We watched a chapter come to an end
Chorus There's another free bird in the southern sky

Can't you see he's searching for a rainbow
The sky is crying can't you hear them guitars moan
Another midnight rider has made the journey home

We were chased off that hillside by a driving rain
We scattered like ashes across the sea
But tears fall from heaven when the good die young
Some things are just meant to be
Like there was no tomorrow
That's how he chose to live
He gave it all, there was nothing left to give

There's another free bird in the southern sky
Can't you see he's looking for a rainbow
The sky is crying can't you hear them guitars moan
Another midnight rider has made the journey home.

guitarhack
April 9th, 2011, 07:12 AM
I saw them while I was in college, around '75, with the original lineup. It was an awesome show.

piebaldpython
April 9th, 2011, 12:53 PM
The amazing thing about Toy Caldwell as a guitarist is that he just did it all with a bare thumb!! No fingers, no picks, damn.....the boy can play some mean guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEOV5vWfSgI

msteeln
April 9th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Never got to see the Caldwell brothers but been a big fan of Toy's for all those decades. Thankfully there are plenty of MTB shows available and Toy's solo studio CD with Willie Nelson and Gregg Allman cameo'ing is still killer http://www.amazon.com/Son-South-Toy-Caldwell/dp/B00003XAR7 Let's hear it for the thumb!

McCorkle was hardly a slouch on the gitbox either!

The current version of MTB, still with Doug Gray, can only do what they can and I've heard good from the gigs of years late.

Duffy
April 9th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Piebald, I wonder if he is using his fingernail or just the flesh of his thumb?

piebaldpython
April 9th, 2011, 11:52 PM
Flesh.....I imagine at times some nail may slip in there, but for the overwhelming majority of the time, FLESH!!