PDA

View Full Version : SG cravings

deeaa
April 13th, 2011, 12:14 AM
Well,

I have this strange craving after an SG. I almost pulled the trigger on an Epi G400 Gothic, thinking I could mod it some towards a more normal SG style...it was 150€ ($200) and local. But, the necks on those G400's are reported to be too lax so I passed at least for now. Any ideas on that issue? I have a buddy who has both the epi and the gibson, and he says the only things he considers as big differences, since he's swapped to Seymours on both anyway, are that the neck is much softer and lax on the epi and the frets wear significantly quicker.

There's plenty of Gibson SG's used for $1200 or so, but that's outta my league, although I'm even dreaming of maybe getting one some day if I sell some excess gear or guitars.

But, nowI went to see a new one in store and it struck me real odd - it was certainly genuine with real case and all, but sheesh, the bridge was SO high off the body it seemed ridiculous to me. I mean, the bridge pup was so high up from the pickguard I doubt there was any string there underneath, it pretty much showed entirely, and the stopbar was like 1/2 inch off the body and STILL it had a normal angle over the bridge.

What's with that? How come the Gibson had so much steeper a neck angle - is that common on Gibson SG's or is it just another example of a lemon from Gibson?

Duffy
April 13th, 2011, 03:43 AM
I've got two Epi SG G400's.

The '66 copy of the Gibson Standard with the full pickguard is probably built more sturdy. It has a more C shaped neck than my other one and has a beautiful heritage cherry gloss finish with great wood grain showing thru. Personally I like the stock pickups and have left them in for the few years I've owned the guitar. It is a nice guitar that is fun to play and sounds different than an LP, moreso than you might think.

The other one I just got a few months ago and it was less expensive. It's a G400 Faded in heritage cherry satin finish, with the small tear drop pickguard below the strings, and the pickups mounted in pickup rings to the mahogany body. I really like the finish, but it is more layed back and less strikingly beautiful than the gloss one. The pickups on it sound great too and are probably the same as the other one although the plastic on them when I got it said they were "Ceramic 8's", which I doubt on a guitar as inexpensive as that, but who knows. This one has a thin, shallow C neck on it compared to the '66 SG copy, "School of Rock" limitted edition gloss one.

Going by my experience I would say that if you are looking for a more heavy duty guitar to get the more expensive '66 copy Epi with the full pickguard, but I think you would have lots of fun with either of the guitars. Both of them are set neck guitars. There are some other G400's that are heavy duty that have the small tear drop pickguard. One of them would probably be heavier duty than the Epi SG Faded, seemingly.

I don't know how they would take real heavy strings, but I have them strung with nines. They bodies are nice and thin and comfortably sculpted. They are nice and light compared to my heavy LP's, but I like a heavy guitar.

I just bought a used PRS SE Singlecut tremolo tobacco sunburst flammed maple top guitar that resonates acoustically so nice. It is light and sounds and plays great, not to mention that it looks great. A lot of guys replace the stock PRS pickups but I like them and they have a sort of distortion to them that hits the preamp real nice, and sustains forever with my Peavey 6505+ combo high gain amp. I just ordered Grover mini locking tuners for it and they should make using the tremolo a little more stable in the tuning area. The tremolo on it is nicer than the Fenders six screw type in my opinion, and the trem arm doesn't look out of place like it does on so many LP type guitars.

Anyway, a Gibson Standard SG would be a beautiful thing to have as long as you got a good one without the tail piece being jacked all the way up and the pickup raised sky high. There must be some problem there. I like to see the stop bar pretty low, starting out. I wouldn't be surprised if there is something wrong with the neck on that one, like a back bow or something - but it could be something that a good set up would correct.

If I get a Gibson SG Standard I'm going to get it from a place that I can return it to if I'm not happy with the quality control. I also want to be able to bring it back and have it set up right, or even better, have it set up right, right there at the store before I take possession of it.

The "School of Rock" '66 one is an awesome inexpensive guitar in my opinion. I think you could be happy with a G400, considering the price difference and your majorly developed guitar engineering abilities, as so well evidenced by your awesome guitar projects. I could see you producing a real cool SG.

I had a Gibson Faded SG in worn brown that was quite nice, that was stolen from me. I think the '66 School of Rock version Epi sounds just as good, plays as good, and looks better. Both have full pickguards.

otaypanky
April 13th, 2011, 07:57 AM
It's probably only a matter of a little time before you fall victim to your SG gas attack Deeaa

where was your SG stolen Duffy?

tunghaichuan
April 13th, 2011, 10:33 AM
I've always wanted an SG. This is reason enough for me:

http://www.top40db.net/img/person/T/Tony%20Iommi.jpg

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/img/interviews/tony_iommi/TonyIommi158A-LisaSharken.jpg

Duffy
April 13th, 2011, 11:11 AM
A relative I took in that was in trouble over his head ripped me off for that and a real nice Fender Hwy One, plus a lot of other things and other vandalism amounting to a few thousand dollars. It happened in Pennsylvania at my old marital property during my separation, prior to my divorce and moving in with my fiance Charity farther up North in the state. It was a miserable time, one burgulary of my house after another, and the police, of course, were useless even though they told me they knew who did it. I finally had him prosecuted for assaulting me only a month or so after my last surgery - 14 inch belt line incision and deep surgery. I let him plea bargain but the judge wanted to hammer him hard. I guess it was something like assaulting a disabled person. The judges don't like that type of thing and I had Emergency Room reports.

Insurance got me a new Fender American strat and a Michael Kelly Patriot Custom, but I still don't have a Gibson. Maybe some day. One thing I have though is a new happy and peaceful life, after my moving on and getting a divorce.

I still worry about getting burgularized though, but I live in a rural neighborhood now with more people around. Before I lived in a semi isolated area.

The thieves only take your best stuff.

ZMAN
April 13th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Well,

I have this strange craving after an SG. I almost pulled the trigger on an Epi G400 Gothic, thinking I could mod it some towards a more normal SG style...it was 150€ ($200) and local. But, the necks on those G400's are reported to be too lax so I passed at least for now. Any ideas on that issue? I have a buddy who has both the epi and the gibson, and he says the only things he considers as big differences, since he's swapped to Seymours on both anyway, are that the neck is much softer and lax on the epi and the frets wear significantly quicker.

There's plenty of Gibson SG's used for $1200 or so, but that's outta my league, although I'm even dreaming of maybe getting one some day if I sell some excess gear or guitars.

But, nowI went to see a new one in store and it struck me real odd - it was certainly genuine with real case and all, but sheesh, the bridge was SO high off the body it seemed ridiculous to me. I mean, the bridge pup was so high up from the pickguard I doubt there was any string there underneath, it pretty much showed entirely, and the stopbar was like 1/2 inch off the body and STILL it had a normal angle over the bridge.

What's with that? How come the Gibson had so much steeper a neck angle - is that common on Gibson SG's or is it just another example of a lemon from Gibson?
I recently succumb to the SG spell. I have owned one for 42 years and I really learned to play on it. It is a 1968 Sg speicial. I really don't play it a lot and sort of got side tracked with LPs and Strats. After playing my ES335 one day I decided to pull out my SG. It played so nice and i love the easy acces to the upper frets. I was looking for a guitar to leave at my vacation home and decided on a G400. I found one for 200 and after a pro set up which included a new nut, a fret levelling and some solder work I have a really sweet playing and sounding guitar, total cost 100 dollars. The only complaint I would have is that it is slightly neck heavy. A nice 3 inch strap took care of that.
I like that guitar so much I decided to look for a newer SG Standard. I found a 2004 in mint condition for 850 with a case.
I also got a pro set up done and that one only cost me 35 bucks. I have all my guitars set for a really low action. I have no issues with the bridge or tail piece. I notice that all of my Gibsons are set higher than the Epis, but have a much lower action, so it is just the nature of the beast.
I really love the new SGs and I only play them now. I really feel this was the guitar that I had been searching for and I had one all along. An excellent choice for your next guitar.

tunghaichuan
April 13th, 2011, 07:45 PM
The only thing that gives me pause about the SG is that the one I tried a while back at GC was a neck diver. That drives me absolutely batsh*t. I know a strap helps, but a neck diving guitar is a deal breaker for me. Are they all like that?

marnold
April 13th, 2011, 09:37 PM
The only thing that gives me pause about the SG is that the one I tried a while back at GC was a neck diver. That drives me absolutely batsh*t. I know a strap helps, but a neck diving guitar is a deal breaker for me. Are they all like that?

I haven't tried that many, but that is their reputation. I like them in general, but neck dive would drive me nuts.

Eric
April 14th, 2011, 05:54 AM
You know, an interesting note (to me, anyway) about neck-heavy/ankle-biting guitars...

I have a friend with whom I was closer a few years back. I knew him exclusively as an acoustic guitar player, but once when I was helping him move, I saw that he had an electric guitar. I borrowed it, and it was one of the first electric guitars I ever played. It was an Ibanez that looked a lot like an SG, and I also did not like how the weight was balanced in that guitar. Here's the weird thing: it was body heavy. It was hard to have it be balanced because it always wanted to point the headstock to the sky.

I guess the point is that weight balance is something I rarely think about in guitars, but having a body that's too heavy is something I NEVER think about. If something like a Les Paul doesn't have a heavy butt, I just tend to assume that nothing will.

I should try to borrow that guitar again to see what I think of it now...

deeaa
April 14th, 2011, 07:20 AM
That's the thing that has kept me off SG's so far - neck heaviness. But I know they aren't all neck heavy, I've played one with super thin neck and it wasn't neck heavy to speak of. I do dislike neck heaviness a lot, whenever I have a guitar even a little like that I find a new spot for the strap button to rectify. Or shave the neck thinner and/or change to lighter/smaller tuners.

I have been thinking, maybe, if I could find a nice G400 I could do just that, shave the neck, find light tuners...small stuff like wider strap and even the 9v battery as far right as possible helps (need to route a small cavity for it though...

Thing is, if I fall for a used Gibson - which I doubt right now - I would hesitate to mod it much. So maybe I keep on looking for a nice G400.

Duffy
April 14th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Dee, the G400 Faded have thinner necks, depth of cross section wise, and they are less expensive 299 US. You can spot them by the dull satin finish. I like mine a lot. Very nice guitar.

Katastrophe
April 14th, 2011, 06:54 PM
I've played two Epi SGs, and while fit n' finish were outstanding, they both were so neck heavy that I just couldn't play them, even sitting down. I'd love to find a non-neck heavy model, though.

deeaa
April 14th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Well for the neck heaviness, I'd guess that it could be rectified rather well by routing a little bigger cavity for the 9V battery than necessary and filling it with lead. I have plenty of lead bullets around, so I could just use a bunch of those hidden somewhere in the very end of the body, or use tire lead, I have some of that lying around too. Not too sure I'd leave the neck pickup there either, which would also help a little. And maybe I could shave the headstock end a little and indeed change the tuners for some lighter/smaller ones. There should be ways in any way.

Nice to know about the faded ones...there seems to be plenty of offering for also cheaper SG's but not one right now that makes me crave too much. I will want to play before play anyway so I expect it to take a while...

Duffy
April 14th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Yeah, I was thinking shotgun slugs or something.

A real good idea might be to get a "steel" Bigsby vibrato, not the cheaper alluminium one. They make a steel one and an alluminium one. That would add usable weight and I've heard that the more heavy metal you have in the string path, it will have an effect on your tone. Supposedly Neil Young added a lot of extra weight to his old black LP and is a believer that adding substantial metal to the guitar affects the tone.

I don't see the SG as being a problem and think it handles real well with a four inch wide strap with the rawhide down. I made two from scratch myself. The average SG has its own characteristics, like a strat or tele - you love it, live with it, or mod it, if you even get one to begin with or decide to keep the one you have.

This first thing is like you said: finding one that you "crave", then you groove on it and maybe try to customize it.

mrmudcat
April 14th, 2011, 11:39 PM
Moving or adding a strap button on the upper horn might help on neck heavy sg's.

I personally have nada problems on my sg.:AOK

marnold
April 15th, 2011, 07:05 AM
Well for the neck heaviness, I'd guess that it could be rectified rather well by routing a little bigger cavity for the 9V battery than necessary and filling it with lead. I have plenty of lead bullets around, so I could just use a bunch of those hidden somewhere in the very end of the body, or use tire lead, I have some of that lying around too.

I know a guy around here who routed out part of a Tele for that purpose except that he used a big hunk of brass. It wasn't because of balance but because the guitar had otherwise no sustain.

ZMAN
April 17th, 2011, 05:45 AM
As I mentioned I have three SGs. One Epi and Two Gibbies. The Gibbies, even the 68 with baseball bat neck are both perfectly balanced. The G400 is a little neck heavy. I talked to my tech about it and he said it is probably the grovers.
I thought about getting a set of lighter tuners but with the suede backed thicker strap took care of it.
He also mentioned putting one of those small workout strap weights on the bottom of your strap. He said he had another neck heavy guitar, not an SG that the workout weight did the job. He said it is only a few ounces that makes a difference.
That approach would save you shaving the neck or routing out the guitar. The workout weight woul not add much weight overall to a 7 pound guitar, that would make playing it a chore.
Maybe we could talk Brookwood into coming up with a weighted strap with removeable weights!

mrmudcat
April 17th, 2011, 07:04 AM
One of OTAYPANKY'S thick leather straps with some conches or silver medalions should be all he needs!!!

mapka
April 18th, 2011, 11:59 AM
I have an SG Classic with P90s in it. Yes, it is a little neck heavy and I have been told that the guitar overall is not as heavy as the original 60's SGs but it is a great guitar to play. Sounds good. has a nice 60's profile neck and was not overly expensive. I paid like 800 for mine about 2 years ago off of eBay and it still had the protective film on the plastic bits. Like a brand new guitar. Here is a youtube video of a friend playin it at a jam night. Little Fender amp is being used

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNNwOB46kfY

hubberjub
August 6th, 2011, 08:51 AM
I'm also in the middle of a serious SG GAS attack. Currently my tastes are steering me more in the direction of a late 60s early 70s SG jr. or Special. Something with P90s.

mapka
August 6th, 2011, 10:32 AM
I'm also in the middle of a serious SG GAS attack. Currently my tastes are steering me more in the direction of a late 60s early 70s SG jr. or Special. Something with P90s.

As I said in my post above, I have a '08 SG Classic with P-90s in it. It is suppose to be a copy of a late 60's SG. Not sure how accurate it is but it does sound good and play good.

ZMAN
August 6th, 2011, 10:37 AM
LIke this?
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/1968GibsonSG-1.jpg
I have owned it since 1969.

mapka
August 6th, 2011, 03:56 PM
LIke this?

Yes very simiiar to this. Mine does not have the vibrato but is the same color. You can see it in the video in my first post to this thread. BTW very nice guitar!

hubberjub
August 7th, 2011, 07:20 PM
LIke this?

Holy crap. That is beautiful.

Bookkeeper's Son
August 7th, 2011, 07:27 PM
I had two SGs when I was a kid (late 60s/early 70s), a Standard and a Special. Since I got back into electrics in the past 4 years, I've noticed the claims of neck-heaviness on the forums I joined, yet I have no recollection whatsoever of that phenomenon. Strange....

ZMAN
August 7th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Holy crap. That is beautiful.
It is a 1968 SG special with the P90s. It is a very basic guitar. It has the compensated bridge, without saddles, and the vibrolo tail piece. The Standards had the Chrome piece that went to the bottom strap button. chicklet type truners and dot neck. Completely stock.
A true baseball bat neck, and probably the lowest buzzless action I have ever seen. I have sold a lot of SGs from guys trying this one and then going directly to the shop to buy one!

mapka
August 7th, 2011, 10:01 PM
I had two SGs when I was a kid (late 60s/early 70s), a Standard and a Special. Since I got back into electrics in the past 4 years, I've noticed the claims of neck-heaviness on the forums I joined, yet I have no recollection whatsoever of that phenomenon. Strange....

From what I have told the older SG used a different wood then mine does. My body is lighter and therefore the guitar is a little neck heavy. Not uncomfortably though.

ZMAN
August 8th, 2011, 06:26 AM
Both my 1968 and my 2007 Gibson SGs are perfectly balanced. My G400 is a neck diver. I think the reason is the Grover tuners on the G400. A lot of guys will say that there is no difference but I found a site that actually measured the Grovers VS the Keystone orginal style and the Grovers were heavier. On a well balance guitar that would be an issue.

Bookkeeper's Son
August 8th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Both my 1968 and my 2007 Gibson SGs are perfectly balanced. My G400 is a neck diver. I think the reason is the Grover tuners on the G400. A lot of guys will say that there is no difference but I found a site that actually measured the Grovers VS the Keystone orginal style and the Grovers were heavier. On a well balance guitar that would be an issue.
I know that Grover Rotos are indeed heavy, because I noticed the difference when I installed a set on my A & L dread, which already had full sized cast tuners. The Grovers were heavier, the neck tended to fall more, which was something I didn't anticipate..

Commodore 64
August 10th, 2011, 09:04 AM
If I can do some appropriate financial planning, I'm going to get an ESP Viper 256.

http://www.espguitars.com/images/guitars/VIPER-256P_STBC.jpg

Duffy
August 10th, 2011, 10:51 AM
I have played a few Viper Deluxe's with the Seymour Duncan pickups; most with the JB/59 combination, but one especially nice one in antique white with covered alnico II pros and another super nice one with the Custom 5 and 59. These were some of the nicest feeling guitars I've ever played and I expect the 256 would feel the same. The above humbucker guitars sounded really really good, I don't know how the P90 would compare.

I have a cheap Viper 50 that feels and plays great and surprisingly has a good sound, but it doesn't begin to compare to those Deluxes's. The new Deluxe Viper with the heritage cherry transparent finish is really nice looking.

Those LTD's are half way decent guitars. I saw one of the best guitar players I've ever seen in the shop the other day playing a like 300 dollar LTD explorer type and it sounded really great - I don't know if it had ESP or EMG pickups, but it sounded great and most of that was in his hands I'm sure. He was playing thru a Peavey 6505 halfstack and then a top of the line Marshall halfstack, so that didn't hurt his tone either.

I think you'd love that Viper, if you like P90 sound. I have two P90 guitars that I don't play much, but they do sound good, especially when turned up a little, if not cranked.

Good luck with making that happen. The color of that is nice and I can just imagine how well it feels in the hands.

Have you played this 256 C64?

Commodore 64
August 10th, 2011, 12:01 PM
I haven't played that particular model of Viper. I've only played whatever Vipers are at Guitar Center...which are the low enders (50) or the high enders with the EMGs. I like them a lot. I don't want active PUPs and I'm looking ot spend about $400, and I like the SG body style. Nothing wrong with the Epi 400 series, I just think the ESPs are better for the money. Actually, I'm in the process of refinishing a jagmaster type Samick which has P90s so i'm not dead set on the P90s, as I think one P-90 guitar will be enough.

As of now, I want the ~400$ Viper 256 series and I'm leaning towards a guitar with 2 humbuckers. The ones with regular 'buckers are "distressed" finish. I actually like the black one, but I'm not enamored of the gold hardware.

http://www.espguitars.com/images/guitars/Viper-256_AVB.jpg

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars/ltd-distressed/viper-256_avb.html

And I do have to admit, that the ESP Strat clone is looking pretty good too.

http://www.espguitars.com/images/guitars/ST-203_BLK.jpg

Less than glowing reviews for the ESP-256 back in 2009 here: http://bbs.espguitars.com/showthread.php?t=45883

Eric
August 10th, 2011, 01:39 PM
I haven't played that particular model of Viper. I've only played whatever Vipers are at Guitar Center...which are the low enders (50) or the high enders with the EMGs. I like them a lot. I don't want active PUPs and I'm looking ot spend about $400, and I like the SG body style.
Here's your friendly question: you like 24.75" now? I've seen you go through a number of perfectly nice G-scale guitars on here, so before you plop down money I figure it's worth a quick review.

Commodore 64
August 10th, 2011, 01:45 PM
I can deal with both. My Ibanez hollow body is 24.75 and I've had that for over a year (amazing, I know).

Off the top of my head, I've had, and subsequently offloaded, the following 24.75 scale guitars since I started playing guitar ~2 years ago:

Michael Kelly LP Style (Shoulda kept that one)
Samick Artist Series LP Style
Epiphone LP Special
PRS Custom SE (Probably shoulda kept that one too)
Epiphone Dot (Good Riddance)

Eric
August 10th, 2011, 01:51 PM
I can deal with both. My Ibanez hollow body is 24.75 and I've had that for over a year (amazing, I know).
Well in that case, the Viper looks pretty cool. Sorry -- I wasn't trying to bust on you; just making sure you're not going to regret buying one later.

Duffy
August 10th, 2011, 06:17 PM
I had heard that the LTD EC 256 distressed LP style was a great guitar for the money. I played one that they had used at a shop near me and it was really nice. They wanted like 175 for it and it was brand new, the guy just bought it and returned it on consignment. I would have bought it but I had to make a decision: the beautiful flammed tobacco burst very lightly distressed 256 or the mint used tobacco burst flammed PRS SE Singlecut Tremolo that I got for 250 out the door, perfectly mint. That PRS SE Singlecut tremolo is an awesome guitar. The LTD EC 256 was sold within a week of it being on the used stand.

I would think that the Viper would have the same quality construction and great feel with the really good sounding ESP pickups. That 256 looks a lot better than the bolt on Viper 50, stock, that I have. I got my Viper fifty for half price used, but I don't think they are worth the price they ask for buying new. I think the 256 is worth it, probably, but the Rondo Valkyrie III is about the same price I think and I wouldn't be surprised if it is even a better value. Admittedly I don't know much about the Valkyrie, but you could check it out on the Agile forum.

http://www.agileguitarforum.com/showthread.php?tid=9445 A Valkyrie thread.

This Valkyrie is cool:

http://www.rondomusic.com/product4430.html

I don't know about the ceramic pickups though, but they might be just fine and are probably pretty hot.

I would probably go with the LTD but I don't know much about these Valkyries. They have ebony boards and if they are anything like the LP copy Agiles they should be good values.

Duffy
August 10th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Here is a Valkyrie III review from a guy that had just received his new one.

http://www.agileguitarforum.com/showthread.php?tid=6914&highlight=valkyrie

I hope you find it interesting. I kind of like the flammed maple burst top one or the black one though.

deeaa
August 10th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Guys,

Those guitars are *NOT* ESP's...they're LTD by ESP and it's a whole different story. A real ESP Viper costs around $2300 here while the same looking LTD Viper can be bought for $230...any ESP owner would be very pissed if someone called their LTD's ESPs...it's kinda like you'd call an Audi a Skoda because they're both made by VAG...

ESP's are usually considered very good guitars, made in Japan, but LTD's are their 'Epiphone' line and 1/5th the price of a real ESP and made in Indonesia (models up to roughly 400 series, so 256 also) and slightly better ones in Korea.

I haven't had much experience but from one; still both LTD's I've played were pretty bad; see my LTD100FM review from a while back...good player, nice neck feel, but for instance can't set the intonation right, and lifeless junker sounwise...not to say all LTD's must be bad, just that I would not expect marvels. Sub-100 series at least are largely outright crap guitars but I do hear they get better fast.

But it's not 'real' ESP and should be called LTD instead.

Duffy
August 10th, 2011, 10:30 PM
True Deeaa. Corrected. But some of thoses LTD Deluxes sound nice for the price paid.

deeaa
August 10th, 2011, 11:26 PM
No doubt about that...I always find real gems in even very cheap guitars...might well come accross a great entry level ltd as well and really doubt an esp is really worth the tenfold price anyway.... But I'd not buy an ltd sight unseen while I might an esp.

Duffy
August 11th, 2011, 12:35 AM
Probably so.

Around here you can get an ESP Eclipse II for about 1600US. The LTD EC-1000 Deluxe with either the Custom Custom bridge and 59 neck or the JB bridge and 59 are about the same 799+/-US as the EMG 81/60 or 81/90's, and they feel real good. The Viper Deluxe in a similar passive or active version is about 700US. Both of these LTD top of the line models feel and play and sound very good; plus some of them look real good. I especially like the cream white Viper Deluxe with gold hardware and alnico II covered HB's; but the new heritage trans cherry Viper Deluxe with the Custom 5 and 59 also looks real good. Seven or eight hundred can buy a half way decent guitar around here, brand new, and imagine what you could get for that used.

The problem where I live is that you "rarely" see real good guitars used, and if you do they want ridiculous prices - like the 2K used PRS at the shop by me on consignment. I don't think the guy will get close to that. I almost never see local used American Fender anythings around here, except at prices that are almost what you can get them for new. American guitars almost never show up locally, used; and Mexicans are very rare as well, although I picked up a perfectly mint MIM Fender P bass for 200, a very nice bass as well.

I have never seen a used ESP guitar around here, locally.

deeaa
August 11th, 2011, 12:41 AM
This is where I look for guitars:

http://muusikoiden.net/tori/index.php?id=1&location=all&type=all&view=full

It's in Finnish but you can see the pics and prices OK...just multiply euros by 1.44x to get the price in dollars.

These 27 are within a few miles from me:

http://muusikoiden.net/tori/haku.php?keyword=&title_only=0&location=all&province=&city=297&type=all&price_min=&price_max=&category=1&with_image=0

Duffy
August 11th, 2011, 01:31 AM
Seemingly somewhat more expensive than around here, if you can find one. But I'm sure everything is relative too, considering the two distinctly different countries and economies - wages, cost of living, etc.

I wonder how much he wants for that Eclipse II Snow White, just out of curiosity. I didn't see a price stated. Fishing?

deeaa
August 11th, 2011, 01:57 AM
Oh, that's a WTB. Eclipse II is usually ~1500$ used. I have a buddy who has one of those in lefty.

And yeah, well, everything here is a bit more expensive than in the US...but because dollar is of lower value it's a good time for us to buy overseas - that is if we can get around the customs which gets their hands on everything over 50€.

But, I just ordered a new battery for my wife's laptop and it was $40 shipping included...here it would have been 150€ plus shipping...that's like $200. Insane.
Makes more sense to buy everything separately...it's crazy, if I buy, say 500€ worth stuff in one package, I'll have to pay 25% or so customs plus handling fees etc...but if I can order the same stuff each in under 50€ packages, no costs, free shipping...

But, yeah, USA seems very cheap for us. If we do make the move over there for a year, I'll get a loan for at least $20-30K or so and bring back a full container of stuff, guitars, motorbikes, snowmobiles and at least one or two cars. I can easily sell them for twice the money here then and make a sweet bundle.

I guess I've already mentioned cars often, but can you imagine for instance a Grand Cherokee Jeep with a hemi might cost round 140K here, even slightly used? I don't know what it costs in the US but can't be nothing like that. It would indeed be pretty sensible to ship one here, as it'd be tax free after a year abroad...

Duffy
August 11th, 2011, 02:34 AM
I've got a hemi Dodge four door three quarter ton heavy duty four wheel drive pickup, a nice one. It cost 37K, new. I would guess that the hemi Grand Cherokee's are a little more, maybe 42 or so, new. Plus they have cool Durango's.

deeaa
August 11th, 2011, 02:56 AM
Heh, yeah, well that's under 30K€. Roughly a quarter of the price here. ~30K ($43K) Buys you a basic VW Jetta here. Yep no wonder everyone brings in at least one of those big Dodges, Jeeps or whatever if they stay in the U.S. a while.

Imagine if your Dodge had cost you 9.250;- brand new ...that's exactly how cheap cars over there feel for us. Same ratio.

Duffy
August 11th, 2011, 03:58 AM
That would amount to one super heavy duty, highly functional vehicle for a very small price. One that would be capable of intense work and be of high durability and extreme power, plus very comfortable and well excuted in terms of ergonomics and functionality.

Commodore 64
August 11th, 2011, 07:39 AM
Whatever, we can call it a "Dogturd by AXL" for all I care, as long as it meets my expectations. And I'm too lazy to go back and change all the ESP to LTD.

And I will almost certainly going used if I choose to get an SG style guitar.

Commodore 64
August 12th, 2011, 06:26 AM
The local store where I take lessons is Samick dealer. He quoted me a price darn close to wholesale. So I'm having him bring in 2 guitars for me to try. The

TR2: Mahogany
Double cutaway sculpted body, High Tech quilt top, bound, mahogany set neck, rosewood fingerboard, Grover tuners, stop tailpiece with adjustable bridge, HH Duncan Design pickups
http://www.samick.co.kr/eu/Data/Product/1_1184931519.jpg

and the TR3
Double cutaway alder body with bound, carved, High Tech quilt top, bound, mahogany set neck, rosewood fingerboard, Grover tuners, stop tailpiece with adjustable bridge, HH Duncan Design pickups
http://www.samick.co.kr/eu/Data/Product/1_1184931669.jpg

Eric
August 12th, 2011, 06:32 AM
The local store where I take lessons is Samick dealer. He quoted me a price darn close to wholesale. So I'm having him bring in 2 guitars for me to try. The

TR2: Mahogany
Double cutaway sculpted body, High Tech quilt top, bound, mahogany set neck, rosewood fingerboard, Grover tuners, stop tailpiece with adjustable bridge, HH Duncan Design pickups

and the TR3
Double cutaway alder body with bound, carved, High Tech quilt top, bound, mahogany set neck, rosewood fingerboard, Grover tuners, stop tailpiece with adjustable bridge, HH Duncan Design pickups
What's the difference? Just the body wood and the 4 knobs vs. 2 knobs?

Commodore 64
August 12th, 2011, 07:10 AM
And the inlays. I think the TR3 is their attempt to entice the PRS crowd. I have to pay off some stuff, so realistically I'm about 1-2 months from doin' this.

Duffy
August 12th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Personally I like the looks of the more traditional Samick with the mahogany body, but, of course, it's your choice completely.

I am definitely wondering how those Agile Valkyrie's are, considering how nice the LP copies are. If the build quality, feel, and playability is like the LP copies I think it would make a nice guitar, definitely a platform for hot rodding, possibly super nice the way it is.

I have a Samick strat type HSS with duncan designed pups but they don't seem to me to sound nearly as good as the duncan designed humbuckers I have on a different guitar. I'm not sure how that duncan designed deal goes down, if they just purchase the name and have to make the pickups within certain SD specifications, open to some discretion and variation in the production at any of many production sites. Anyway, the ones in the Samick strat-ish are not half way decent pickups, in my opinion. But I suppose you would immediately replace the pickups anyway, so it's probably irrelevant.

It would be really interesting to hear from someone that has or has had an Agile Valkyrie.

Eric
August 12th, 2011, 02:34 PM
It would be really interesting to hear from someone that has or has had an Agile Valkyrie.
http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php/15497-Epiphone-Limited-Edition-1966-G-400-Electric-Guitar

deeaa
August 12th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Hard to say from those photos, but first impression is the Tr2 is kinda trying too much...the Tr3 looks pretty classy. Of course, in real life the TR2 might look just right, can't say based on those photos.

I still haven't gotten an SG. I'm likely selling my V though...it just feels too big for me. The downside is, I'm selling it to my best friend, so I'm asking only the bare minimum for it, which is at least $300 less I've put into it. But, the truth is, that's what it's worth in open market and I'm not gonna ask my friend for any more that he wants to pay. I've told him I think it's worth 350€ in open market and that I've put more like 600 in it, but he can have it for whatever he feels is appropriate, and I'll be happy with 350, estatic with 400.

Anyway, I just had to upgrade my computer and I'm way too deep in creditcard debt, so if he's gonna buy it soon, it'll likely just go towards paying for my credit, but...might be an opportunity to get me some SG as well. I'm certainly quite interested in an epi 400 series SG...but a part of me is itching to get a faded Gibson even. If I sell the V I'll only have one Gibson scale axe...

But, I'll also miss the V...I might rip apart the weird 'X' guitar I built from scratch and make it a V shape, but more like the original, small-body V rather than the 67 model...we'll see...I can certainly see myself getting into building some guitar thing next winter...

marnold
August 23rd, 2011, 12:20 PM
You could win a Gibson SG from Premier Guitar . . . assuming you live in the U.S. of A.

http://www.premierguitar.com/Survey/292/survey.aspx

Commodore 64
August 23rd, 2011, 02:32 PM
Yeah but the Samick is probably a better instrument than that Gibby, even if I did win it.