PDA

View Full Version : Gibson Melody Maker being offered in Explorer, SG, V, LP, and traditional MM styles

progrmr
April 13th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Minus the P-90 which has been replaced by a ceramic humbucker:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=gibson+melody+maker

$549....not for me since I just got my V, but interesting.

MAXIFUNK
April 13th, 2011, 05:11 PM
I saw this and was hummmmmmmmmm only one pup would that really work for me or not?

oldguy
April 13th, 2011, 06:28 PM
The fact that these are a "preorder" item that is in the "clearance" section (the explorer and V), plus no way to set intonation makes me say "no" rather than "hmmmmmmmm", no matter who's name is on them. :(

Jimi75
April 14th, 2011, 07:49 AM
plus no way to set intonation makes me say "no" rather than "hmmmmmmmm", no matter who's name is on them. :(

That's what I think, too. I have played several Melody Makers and the intonation was horrible.

marnold
April 14th, 2011, 07:55 AM
How would that V be better than this Epiphone, other than "Gibson" on the headstock?
http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/Guitars/Electric-Guitars/Solid-Body-Electric-Guitars/Korina-Flying-V-1958-Electric-Guitar.site1sku518235000000000.sku

Actually, I like the looks of the Epi a lot.

Katastrophe
April 14th, 2011, 08:50 AM
I've been intrigued by the MMs for a while, but haven't had a chance to play one. The body looks to be incredibly thin. I'ts cool that Gibby is giving MM fans more options, but I think I'll confine my GAS to Les Paul Jr. singlecut models for now.

MAXIFUNK
April 15th, 2011, 12:06 AM
The fact that these are a "preorder" item that is in the "clearance" section (the explorer and V), plus no way to set intonation makes me say "no" rather than "hmmmmmmmm", no matter who's name is on them. :(
it was more a HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM not really digging these one pup axes I've seen a lot of lately.

oldguy
April 15th, 2011, 04:18 AM
it was more a HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM not really digging these one pup axes I've seen a lot of lately.

Ha ha..... Maxi, I was thinking of the Arsenio Hall "things that make you go 'hmmmmmmmmmmmm' ", more than your hummmmmmmmmmm, but I get where you're coming from.

I'd take that Epi V the Rev linked to any day over one with no tune-o-matic and one pickup.

MAXIFUNK
April 15th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Ha ha..... Maxi, I was thinking of the Arsenio Hall "things that make you go 'hmmmmmmmmmmmm' ", more than your hummmmmmmmmmm, but I get where you're coming from.

I'd take that Epi V the Rev linked to any day over one with no tune-o-matic and one pickup.

You know I keep seeing this one pup guitars by every AXE vendor but I have never seen anyone use them in person.
And I have seen one heck of a lot of artists over the years. Yeah your right the EPI would be a much better buy That is for the guy that wants "Gibson" on headstock. LOL on the Aresnio comment that leads to a story ah but another time LOL.

marnold
April 15th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Metal guys use one pickup guitars all the time. I used to have one. Since I can only have a very limited number of guitars (right now: one), I need them to be as flexible as possible. If it had a neck pickup I'm sure I would still have it today.

oldguy
April 16th, 2011, 03:23 PM
LOL on the Aresnio comment that leads to a story ah but another time LOL.

He used to crack me up on his late night show.......and I laughed so hard at "Harlem Nights" my sides hurt.