PDA

View Full Version : Gold Plating

player
April 15th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Someone asked me yesterday if they could Gold plate a Floyd Rose that was Chrome.
being I really do not know I thought I'd ask here although to the best of my limited knowledge Gold Leaf over Chrome I would think would not hurt anything or break their bank. I think it's on a Peavy axe now. thinking Leaf might not last too long

player
April 16th, 2011, 09:39 AM
strange no input on this topic.I do know plating anything with moving parts aka a Floyd the parts would soidify to make it an expensive bookend instead of the tail piece wanted.

oldguy
April 16th, 2011, 03:18 PM
OK, I did a quick google search for you.............gold plating is not doable over chrome, at least not with good results. It can discolor, may not stick, at least that's what I saw.

marnold
April 16th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Even if it was feasible, you'd probably be better off just getting a gold colored one from Floyd Rose. You certainly wouldn't want any plating on the knife edges.

player
April 16th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Thanks guys.at least I have more info on and about it than before so a recommendation can now be made instead of an I dunno. :AOK

mrmudcat
April 17th, 2011, 03:13 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=sr0gNJ090JA

Just get a gold unit as suggested .Is it a floyd copy or true F.R.??

I have several gold copies ......and would give one away if shipping is paid!:AOK

player
April 17th, 2011, 07:55 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=sr0gNJ090JA

Just get a gold unit as suggested .Is it a floyd copy or true F.R.??

I have several gold copies ......and would give one away if shipping is paid!:AOKThank You mrmudcat,I will have to find out more about the F.R. which could prove difficult being in the move transition right now but it sounds like it is real and they are not real happy with Chrome.personally subscribe to the ''if it ain't broke don't fix it'' philosophy.guessing some just are aesthetics buffs.
me? if it plays and sounds right I do not mess with anything not being big on any trem setup anyway.all I can do is promise I will try to find out passing the information you gave along if found out OK?