PDA

View Full Version : Jam Sessions - Backing Track Solo #1

Justaguyin_nc
December 10th, 2005, 12:14 PM
I've seen this on a few other forums and it is interesting to see what people come up with on the same Backing tracks...I asked in Suggestions if it would be an Idea for these Forums.. Robert seems to like the idea.. So here is the first backing track to solo over with more to come... Everyone with recording equipment (A mic/line-in and a sound card qualifies you) from beginner to pro is welcomed to download this track and upload whatever you come up with. It's kinda strange how everyone will have something different ... this is not a contest... it's an improv... no time limit.. just enjoy it... This Jam session does not close.. Upload your track tonite or a year from tonite...

First Backing Track.. Simple.. 2 minutes.. Cm-Fm-Gm-Cm.mp3

oops..Upload error.. hmmm.. lol already exceeded my limit... Ok fixed that.. Just deleted an older clip I had on here someplace...
(Umm you might hit a limited size error in upload, in which case talk with Robert Renman)
:R

SuperSwede
December 10th, 2005, 01:58 PM
Have you recorded something over this backing track?
Would be nice to hear :)

Justaguyin_nc
December 10th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Me personally..not yet.. but..you go for it swede... thats the idea...:)

SuperSwede
December 11th, 2005, 08:22 AM
Well I might just do that when I get some time...
Upload your recordings as well.

SuperSwede
December 11th, 2005, 09:37 AM
I want to support your idea so here it comes ;)

It was really a strange backing track JustaGuy, but rather cool (even if I am not into that style of music at all :)

I actually recorded two solo tracks (one with my strange AC.sim) I hope that is not considered cheating , ho ho.
Sounds really crappy, but what the hell :R

Guitar-Chris
December 11th, 2005, 12:31 PM
I actually recorded two solo tracks (one with my strange AC.sim) I hope that is not considered cheating , ho ho.

Very nice tone, very smooth an well played.

Can you give us some Information about the equippement you played?

SuperSwede
December 11th, 2005, 12:35 PM
My Squier Tele > Apple Garageband with Guitar Rig 2 (Native Instruments).

Justaguyin_nc
December 11th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Nice Swede... Yeah, I know it was kinda strange.. if thats not your style... but it moves ya.. .. and I am sure there will be more to come in a variety of styles.. Nice sounds out of that squier and guitar rig 2! ... thanks for joining in.. Im in the middle of re-doing a computer so will be a bit for me..hopefully more (Robert...tone.. tim. Chris... Nel... etc etc) will be adding some soon..

SuperSwede
December 11th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Yeah come on guys and post :)

Guitar-Chris
December 11th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Yeah come on guys and post :)

At first, we have to record something, then we will be able to post.

But you set the level high :) perhaps I find the time in the next days...

SuperSwede
December 11th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Well its no competition and as JustaGuy said : Post today or a year from today :)
It is really fun to hear other people play, especially since it was a long time since I had the time to play with a band.

Matt
January 3rd, 2006, 09:45 AM
hey guys. ive recorded something, but my pc wont let me upload it- its spends ages uploading and then comes up with a DNS error page. any ideas on what to do? i could e-mail it to someone and see if they can. im just looking for feedback on a cheesy solo :P

regards

Matt

SuperSwede
January 3rd, 2006, 05:06 PM
I have no idea what is causing your dns problem, but you can always try to turn off the firewall, that usually helps.
Try a different browser as well, especially if you are on MSIE which can behave quite strange sometimes.

Matt
January 3rd, 2006, 05:13 PM
no such luck. so i'll either have to e-mail it to someone, or try another browser as you suggested.

cheers for the help

Matt

Tim
January 3rd, 2006, 07:47 PM

Super Swede – That was awesome. If only I could play that good. But then if I stay tuned to this forum, I believe I will some day. I love that sound you produced. It is a nice clean and clear tone. Basically something I could get very addictive to.

Ok guys, I have a special request that my benefit others who are new to the site. When recording on top of backing tracks can there also be include the steps followed to make the recordings? Sort of a narrative on the recording and how it was done.

For example: As a newbie I would like to know the scale(s) played. Were there two recordings made to achieve the sound? Type of guitar and amp used. What effects were used in the recording? What software was used? How did it get into the computer?

Basically anything a new person would need to know to learn the process to recording at home.

SuperSwede
January 4th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Thanks Tim...
I will try to describe more next time I post a clip.

Tim
January 4th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Swede,

My wife loves the song. She could listen to that style of music all day long. When are you going to debut the song/album?

SuperSwede
January 4th, 2006, 11:54 AM
haha, well that is NOT going to happen ;)

Anyhow, Justaguyin_nc recorded the background, and I just laid down some leads to support his idea ( I really like the idea of several people recording on the same backing track, and hear how other players interpret the song).

Tim
January 4th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Hey, I'm talking money. You can quit your day job. I'll be your manager.

Just joking. If figure if I watch this thread long enough, I too “may” be joining in on the fun. That’s why I was asking for all the details on how it all done.

For those who are also following along, I have the 2004 version of Band-In-A-Box. I was told that backing tracks can be created from this software. Trouble is … you need to have a Masters in English to understand the manual.

SuperSwede
January 4th, 2006, 04:09 PM
I have band in a box but have never made anything useful with it either, it´s very "messy" and it certainly aint user friendly!
I plug my MK-61 midi keyboard into my sequencer and make my own "backgrounds", I find that to be best for me. And there is several good midi files on the net as well.

tremoloman
January 7th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Guys, this is an AWESOME idea! I'm setting up my recording studio today, so I'll post my take on this soon. (Disclaimer: My solo may suck!)

tremoloman
January 7th, 2006, 11:47 AM
I want to support your idea so here it comes ;)

It was really a strange backing track JustaGuy, but rather cool (even if I am not into that style of music at all :)

I think you did a great job! What kind of guitars did you use on this track? If that's your B&C Tele... I'm getting one! :)

SuperSwede
January 7th, 2006, 12:13 PM
That is my Squier Tele (Black & Chrome), played through Native Instruments Guitar Rig 2 plugin for VST/Garageband. The tele is really nice, and only about 500USD (or that was what mine costed).

[update] I saw that you american dudes can buy the guitar for 200usd, that is quite a steal :)

http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?ItemID=29384

Justaguyin_nc
January 9th, 2006, 02:02 AM
I swear I didn't duck out on this.. heh... My new motherboard and CPU should be in the mail now... then I will put up a solo over this one too.. Letting you all hear the true meaning of the word Amatuer.. or the phrase "He can't play time" or tone deaf which ever may come to mind first.. heh.. Remember this is all in fun.. from Beginner to Pro.. Put it up for the farts and giggles if nothing else fellers.. Hopefully Robert will have the MP3 upload problems solved soon.. Once again good take on that swede ..

SuperSwede
January 9th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Motherboards and that stuff...... you really should look at a Macintosh justaguy ;)
Just plug and play, and great direct recording software available at first bootup.

Hmm, well enough of the Mac evangelism for a while... I just get so excited when thinking of how great it actually works ... hehe

Adam
January 10th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Wow i listened to what your "latin Tango" SuperSwede, very nice.. great playing ;)

SuperSwede
January 10th, 2006, 03:44 PM
thanks adam ;)

Matt
January 11th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Well, changed browsers and now i can upload :D

All comments welcome on the jammy solo that follows

A bit samey I know, but I only know the minor pentatonic proficiently enough to solo with.

regards

Matt

Adam
January 11th, 2006, 02:28 PM
yours was also really cool Matt, nice style! :)

Matt
January 11th, 2006, 02:34 PM
cheers adam. welcome by the way :D

SuperSwede
January 12th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Nice one Matt!

I liked your spacey guitar tone, what equipment did you use?

Justaguyin_nc
January 12th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Nice addition Matt..thanks for stepping up to the plate... Hey, what was your gear setup? I heard a bit of Carlos Santana Hiding in the background there...

Robert
January 12th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Cool sound Matt, good job!

Katastrophe
January 12th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Okay, I just figured out how to download this stuff (Save FIRST, then open, duh!). Very tasty contributions from both Swede and Matt, from two different points of view. Matt, love the tones you were getting... very cool. And it was great listening to the Squiers in action!

And Matt, don't worry about soloing only in minor pentatonics... Watch Eric Johnson play sometime!

Now, I just gotta figure out this computer thing to make my own contribution... Gonna need some help with that.

Matt
January 12th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Well i have a confession to make- I didnt use my '51. I had left it at my drummers house, and so I had to make do with my VS6 SG copy. I put it through my Zoom GFX1 on BG Drive with a healthy amount of gain and added some delay for good measure, as well as having reverb on my amp. I simply put a mic next to my amp and recorded using audacity (nice free recording/mixing software).

Thanks for all the compliments

Matt

Justaguyin_nc
January 14th, 2006, 01:33 AM
Computer back...so I guess I need to add sumptin... I wont say sorry for the bad playing..nuff of that stuff.... I'll just close my eyes and enjoy what I can do...

this was done thru adobe audition software... trying to just stay inside a blues C scale with fender MIM 60's strat with Neck and middle pickups, tones turned to 7... output thru a Cyber-Champ set on stock preset named Stadium Rock.. suppose to imitate a High Gain Brit Combo but umm I turned the Gain down quite a bit.. 300 ms Tape Delay and Arena Reverb... from there into a Behringer MIC connected to a Berhinger Mic200 preamp and back to the soundblaster card.. no wonder my last puter blew...heh... best finish this..if I don't hurry I wont have the nerve to upload it..

:R

Guitar-Chris
January 14th, 2006, 03:31 AM
Haven't had the time to record to the posted backing, but here is one Solo i recorded a few weeks ago:

http://www.jvdl.de/Blue_Jam.mp3

I will try to record something to the posted backing this weekend.

Christian

Nelskie
January 14th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Hey Justa - Cool track - has a real Peter Green (Fleetwood Mac) feel to it, maybe even a little early Santana. I may have to session on this a bit later today. Your Cyber Champ sounds really good on this clip. Now that you've had the amp for a month or so, it would be interesting to hear what your take is on it. You've been one of the few to resist the lure of the Vox ADVT series amps.

Matt
January 14th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Wow, justaguy and guitar chris: both awesome tracks. Both pretty mellow and sound great. Guitar Chris, was this done on the Vox? if so im definately going to have to get one :D

regards

Matt

Justaguyin_nc
January 14th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Thanks guys... Nelskie as far as the Cyber-Champ.. Im still on the honey moon.. Im in awe of this amp.. I'll never play as good as it sounds.. Had a player come over and think he is now getting one also.. and he is a pedal/tube guy.. It's better for me to listen to someone play this then me actually playing... I may have missed the boat as far as the VOX goes but I found the Ship IMHO... I'm still thinking of getting that new DA5 Vox though.. why?haven't a clue... I guess it's getting into the blood..heh.. I know I have a winner here in the Cyber-Champ plus a couple of great guitars... its up to me now to practice practice practice...and just enjoy it!

Guitar-Chris
January 14th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Wow, justaguy and guitar chris: both awesome tracks. Both pretty mellow and sound great. Guitar Chris, was this done on the Vox? if so im definately going to have to get one :D

To be honest, no this track was played with the Digitech GNX1, but the Vox even sounds better :)

When recording this track i was just playing around a bit. And suddenly there were two "first take" tracks. I put them together - ready. There was no cutting or so, so you hear all the mistakes i made, but i think, that mistakes are well done :o

I will record something on the vox this weekend. In the moment i am testing with recording via line out and recording via microphone. Let's see what the next session will bring.

Guitar-Chris
January 15th, 2006, 10:30 AM
So here's my backingtrack with the "Vox-Solo"

There are three different settings i tried:

1. Tweed-Model, Telecaster, neck-pickup, no EQ, reverb from Vox
2. AC30TB Modell, Telecaster, full volume, but very low gain, reverb from Vox, a little delay from recording software
3. UK80s Model, Dean Vendetta, Bridge pickup, Reverb from Vox, Delay from Recording Software.

All recorded via line-out into a Behringer UB802 mixer, then into an audiophile 2496 recording card.

I wanted to test recording via microphone, but my 3 children were to loud :R .

In my opinion the UK80s is problematic via linout. If you connect the lineout to the vox, speakers are turned off, so you only hear it from my monitor boxes ore headphones. And i don't like set sound over this way.

I think, for overdriven sounds, less is more, and miking will be better.

Justaguyin_nc
January 15th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Now thats another good example of the VOX for me to hear... gave the backing a nice feeling.. thanks chris...

SuperSwede
January 16th, 2006, 05:53 AM
Justaguy & Guitar Chris, Great recordings guys. Two more different approaches to the same backing track. :)

marnold
January 22nd, 2006, 05:35 PM
First Backing Track.. Simple.. 2 minutes.. Cm-Fm-Gm-Cm.mp3
I just wanted to thank you for posting this. I've been enjoying noodling over it. I'm no SRV or anything, but you can actually tell that I'm trying to play something bluesy. My fingertips hurt now--but in a good way. As soon as I can figure out this recording business I'll post something.

marnold
January 22nd, 2006, 05:36 PM
In my opinion the UK80s is problematic via linout. If you connect the lineout to the vox, speakers are turned off, so you only hear it from my monitor boxes ore headphones. And i don't like set sound over this way.

I think, for overdriven sounds, less is more, and miking will be better.
When going through the line out, beside bypassing the speaker it also bypasses the tube power amp. All you are hearing is the solid state preamp.

Can I just add that this is, in fact, my 100th post?