PDA

View Full Version : Happy New Pedal Day, Digitech Bad Monkey, American Made

tunghaichuan
April 17th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Just got this pedal in the mail yesterday:

http://www.thefret.net/album.php?albumid=14&attachmentid=2268

http://www.thefret.net/album.php?albumid=14&attachmentid=2269

This is the American-made version. It came will all the box candy, warranty card, pedal guide, handbook, even the plastic wrapper.

It also came with a broken battery snap. I took the pedal apart and found that none of my battery snaps had long enough wires, so I improvised: I've been taking apart 9 volt batteries for a while now. I save the top clip and bottom spacer. So I cut the broken battery snap apart and soldered the wires to a recycled clip from an old battery. I then used some hot melt glue to attach the bottom spacer as an insulator. It ain't pretty, but the pedal now has a battery snap, and it is much more robust than the cheesy one that came stock on the pedal.

So save all those old battery clips from 9v batteries. I find the ones that work the best are Eveready and Duracel. They have the fiber clips. Some cheaper batteries use plastic and aren't as durable.

marnold
April 17th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Have fun monkeying around! Har! I kill me!

Spudman
April 17th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Those are great and stack very well with other pedals. HNPD to you.

sunvalleylaw
April 17th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Cool! I love my ZYS, but i still also really love my Monkey. I have no idea if mine is american or not. It came with no materials. How does on tell?

tunghaichuan
April 18th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Cool! I love my ZYS, but i still also really love my Monkey. I have no idea if mine is american or not. It came with no materials. How does on tell?

I used to own one of the Chinese-made Bad Monkey pedals a while back, but sold it off with most of my other pedals last year to purchase parts for my new computer. It should say on the back of the pedal where it's made.

FWIW, I can't tell any sonic difference between the two. They sound exactly alike to me. I would think that the only difference is that one was made in America from Chinese parts and the newer version is made in China with Chinese parts. :rollover

duhvoodooman
April 18th, 2011, 09:04 AM
...I would think that the only difference is that one was made in America from Chinese parts and the newer version is made in China with Chinese parts. :rolloverProlly more than a bit of truth in that! It's a heckuva good OD, though, esp. at the price. Congrats on the pickup....

Commodore 64
April 18th, 2011, 09:08 AM
I've been using my Bad Monkey more than my Blues Driver (BD-2 with Allum Blues Stack) lately. It's the BM I got from Eric, never looked to see where it was made.

Eric
April 18th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Cool. Since I traded away my Bad Monkey, I bought another one about a month ago for $20. I've found it to be a really nice boost/lead pedal. HNPD!