PDA

View Full Version : Your guitar sucks!

syo
April 19th, 2011, 07:39 PM
I don't know about any of you, however if there is ever a product, service or vendor (P,S, or V) that I'm unsure of and want to find out more, I often google "________ (P,S, or V in question) sucks". I have found this a good way to discover potential issues with a particular P,S,V. It is of course an inelegant way to say that someone doesn't like something and is often said by people that don't know what they're talking about. But if I find lots of comments pointing out similar issues I tend to take notice. Often too, more intelligent comments in support of a P,S, or V can show an intense loyalty which is also good to know.

I raise this topic because I was recently doing this with guitar makers. Mostly for research to help me in marketing my guitars, to discover what is important to people and what are some issues that people often have.

I typed in the names of maybe 15 makers. I would look at a few pages of results for each. It seems that all the guitars I searched sucked for someone EXCEPT Reverend guitars. They were actually the first one I searched because I know there is quite alot of brand loyalty amongst Reverend owners. This didn't surprise me. On the other hand, quite a few people think that Gibson sucks which didn't surprise me either.

Anyway, chances are that your guitar sucks. Unless it's a Reverend...:D

FrankenFretter
April 19th, 2011, 09:44 PM
...Or a Hell guilar!

syo
April 19th, 2011, 10:25 PM
...Or a Hell guilar!

Nice of you to say, Sean. We'll see how it goes but sucking seems to be something everyone does for at least someone. I'm sure there must even be a Reverend hater or two out there but they weren't so easy to find. All a company can hope for is that their anti-sucking contingient is much more numerous than the sucking camp. Otherwise..well that would suck! :D

otaypanky
April 19th, 2011, 11:15 PM
No guy could hate this one ~

http://www.guitar.com.au/guitars/electric/bc_rich/*****.htm

Spudman
April 19th, 2011, 11:31 PM
I wish people would unload their sucky guitars then for prices I can afford. I really don't mind certain sucky guitars. :D

I'll bet you can Google money or food and find out it sucks too.:thwap

syo
April 20th, 2011, 12:51 AM
I'll bet you can Google money or food and find out it sucks too.:thwap

Or vacuums...
http://www.thesevacuumssuck.com/

mrmudcat
April 20th, 2011, 09:15 AM
:rollover.......^^^^^^^^^........yep they definitely suck!!!!!:D

Brian Krashpad
April 20th, 2011, 10:01 AM
:thwap

Oh noes! I have some Gibsons and no Reverends (yet).

As lousy as my playing is, nobody ever notices how much my guitars suck. They seem stellar by comparison.

Tig
April 20th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Reverends do suck in one way... No belly or arm rest cuts. A deal killer? No. But I wouldn't want to gig with one digging in my ribs for too long, especially the big body size of the Club King.

My guitars don't suck at all... until I play them!

duhvoodooman
April 20th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Apparently, 8 of my 9 guitars (89%) suck. Fortunately, that's a Reverend in the middle:

http://www.duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/nineway.jpg

I suck at playing them, a fact that I was already aware of, but now am ACUTELY aware of after watching that Danny Gatton instructional video. My right-hand technique sucks SPECTACULARLY, while my left-hand technique sucks more mundanely.

SYO, you suck for bringing this up. Hopefully, your new guitars don't suck, thought the above web study you conducted seems to make this a virtual certainty. However, Renman says they DON'T suck, and since his guitar playing sucks less than my own by several orders of magnitude, I will give you the benefit of the doubt until someone on the web says differently. Apparently, it only takes one disgruntled customer. That sucks, huh?

By the way, the rest of you who commented in this thread probably suck, too, given the laws of probability and all. Not to mention your non-Reverend guitars.

The weather here in Schenectady has sucked for several days and is forecasted to suck for a couple more at least. But no tornadoes have come by and blown my house off its foundation, which is something to be thankful for. That would really suck. Seems to have happened a lot down in the Southeast this spring.

Fortunately, I'm an upbeat, optimistic guy, or all of this could get really depressing....

Brian Krashpad
April 20th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Tig-- body cuts become a non-issue once you wear your guitar slung appropriately low!

DVM-- I will say this, the weather here in Hogtown does NOT suck. Thus, I've been stuck inside all day working on the brief from hell. Didn't even bother opening the blinds.