PDA

View Full Version : New Steve Earl Album

tunghaichuan
April 20th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Steve Earle is one of my all-time favorites.

His previous album Townes (a tribute to his mentor and long-time friend Townes Van Zandt) was spectacular.

Here the newest one, I'll Never Get Out Of This World Alive here:

http://www.npr.org/2011/04/17/135378149/first-listen-steve-earle-ill-never-get-out-of-this-world-alive?sc=fb&cc=fp

Good NPR article on him as well.

Earle is truly a national treasure. He is one of a few artists whose music I'll buy without hearing first. He just seems to get better as he gets older.

R_of_G
April 21st, 2011, 06:36 AM
Thanks for the NPR link.

I'm also willing to give any of Earle's new output a listen and am usually pleased with the results.

He's also a pretty good actor, at least in his small recurring role as Walon on The Wire.

tunghaichuan
April 22nd, 2011, 01:21 PM
He's been consistently good throughout his career, even when he was a drug addict. Going to prison probably saved his life, he was able to get clean and stay sober. His songwriting has acquired a new depth since his release from incarceration. Not that his previous work was bad, per se, but his post prison work is much better more polished and thoughtful. I'm definitely getting this new one when it comes out.

R_of_G
April 22nd, 2011, 03:42 PM
I agree, while I enjoy much of his work from his pre-prison/pre-sobriety era, I feel his songwriting after that resonates on a deeper level.

It obviously also informed his acting work as well, at least with regards to The Wire playing Walon, a recovering addict and NA sponsor to one of the other characters. I'm not sure a more experienced full-time actor could have done any better with that role than Earle did. Though he's a rather minor character on the show (he's in less than 5 episodes of a five season series) I think he brought so much to the role that all of Walon's scenes stand out to me because they're so compelling.

Also, did you know he's written a novel with the same name as this new album which will be published in May? If it's half as good as this album is, I can't wait to read it.

tunghaichuan
April 22nd, 2011, 04:01 PM
Also, did you know he's written a novel with the same name as this new album which will be published in May? If it's half as good as this album is, I can't wait to read it.

Actually, I found out about his new album from a review in Publisher's Weekly. I recommended that my library buy Earle's new book. :AOK I didn't bother recommending the new album though, they're too busy purchasing the newest Justin Bieber et al. :thwap

R_of_G
April 22nd, 2011, 04:48 PM
Actually, I found out about his new album from a review in Publisher's Weekly. I recommended that my library buy Earle's new book. :AOK I didn't bother recommending the new album though, they're too busy purchasing the newest Justin Bieber et al. :thwap

Public libraries should be required to stock a full catalog of Earle's work as he's a national treasure.

Katastrophe
April 24th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Listening to "Little Emporer" right now. It's raw, spare, and good. Thanks for turning me on to this. I've gotta admit that I haven't listened to much of Earle's work since the Copperhead Road days, pre prison. I did enjoy his earlier work, though.

Speaking of Copperhead Road:

uhMO9azmKNU

I just dig this tune... It tells a helluva story.

tunghaichuan
April 24th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Listening to "Little Emporer" right now. It's raw, spare, and good. Thanks for turning me on to this. I've gotta admit that I haven't listened to much of Earle's work since the Copperhead Road days, pre prison. I did enjoy his earlier work, though.

Speaking of Copperhead Road:

uhMO9azmKNU

I just dig this tune... It tells a helluva story.

"I volunteed for the army on my birthday
They draft the white trash first 'round here, anyway"

:applause

Great turn of a phrase.

For his pre-prison stuff, Copperhead Road, Exit 0 and Guitar Town are essential.

If you like acoustic guitar music, you might like Train A Comin' or Townes.

For bluegrass fans, The Mountain, which he made with the Del McCoury Band is great.

For his post prison music, Transcendental Blues, Jerusalem, The Revolution Starts Now, and Washington Square Serenade are all fantastic.

Be warned though, without getting into specifics, Steve Earle's politics are a big part of his post-prison music and can be off-putting to those who don't agree with him.

Katastrophe
April 24th, 2011, 09:27 PM
I have a rule about politics and music. If I listened to only those who agree with my personal views, then there would be very little to listen to. I try not to let politics get in the way of good music.

R_of_G
April 25th, 2011, 06:47 AM
I have a rule about politics and music. If I listened to only those who agree with my personal views, then there would be very little to listen to. I try not to let politics get in the way of good music.

Well said.

Perfect Stranger
April 26th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Just went and grabbed it. Thanks!

R_of_G
April 26th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Just put in a hold request at my library for the book. Hoping nobody else has done so yet and I can grab it first when it comes in.

tunghaichuan
April 26th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Well said.

+1, Agreed.

scruff
April 27th, 2011, 09:26 AM
While I agree that you can't let someone else's politics get in the way of enjoying their art (ahem Sean Penn), there's a limit.

I went to a Steve Earle show once in Houston and the man spent 10 minutes lecturing us about the Marxist labor movement (that's what he called it). Songs like Copperhead Road and Johnny Come Lately made a huge difference in my life and my music, and I would have bought a lot more of his work if it hadn't been for this experience.

While it's not necessarily rule #1, one of the top ten rules should be, NEVER MAKE YOUR AUDIENCE RECOIL IN HORROR. He's a groundbreaking musician, one of those whose work actually makes a difference to the art itself. Too bad I can't stand him.