PDA

View Full Version : Do you cut your own hair?

Robert
April 22nd, 2011, 01:06 PM
Do you cut your own hair?

I use an electric hair trimmer and do it myself out on the deck. :)

My next video (coming soon) will feature my 1/4 inch rock'n roll hairdo! :D

tunghaichuan
April 22nd, 2011, 01:10 PM
Yes, I do.

I've been shaving my head for 3 or 4 years now. I use the clippers without any guard and it leaves about 1/16" of hair. Much easier to take care of that way.

Jimi75
April 22nd, 2011, 01:23 PM
Count me in :-)
I cut my hair with a Philips hair trimmer.
1/4 inch Rock n Roll!

FrankenFretter
April 22nd, 2011, 01:50 PM
I've been cutting my own hair for over 15 years. Just think of how much money I've saved! It's 1/8 of an inch for me. In fact, I just got done cutting my hair. I'm 40% more aerodynamic now!

Eric
April 22nd, 2011, 01:56 PM
No. Whether long or short, my wife cuts it. Works for me.

jasongins
April 22nd, 2011, 02:10 PM
A friend of mine has one of these...

http://www.bestofasseenontv.com/flowbee1/flowbee.jpg

FrankenFretter
April 22nd, 2011, 02:20 PM
A friend of mine has one of these...

http://www.bestofasseenontv.com/flowbee1/flowbee.jpg

Those always seemed like a good idea in theory, although I've heard that in practice, not so much.

omegadot
April 22nd, 2011, 02:59 PM
My wife is finishing up a year and a half love cosmetology school and being in the military I need frequent haircuts. Since I support her through school 100% I get free haircuts out of the deal.

Retro Hound
April 22nd, 2011, 02:59 PM
My wife cuts my hair and the kids' hair, and lately, I've been cutting hers.

Tig
April 22nd, 2011, 03:17 PM
After a bad haircut at a chain hair place, I cut my own. The longest guard for most, then the next to longest along the bottom edges. It take scissors to clean up the edge and I'm done. Shorter would be quicker, but I don't like skin showing up there.

sunvalleylaw
April 22nd, 2011, 03:42 PM
No, not yet. I have not gone for the "Matt Lauer" cut yet. Though I may soon enough. With longer hair, cutting it myself is not an option.

omegadot
April 23rd, 2011, 08:38 AM
I always thought the scene in Wayne's World was funny until I went to boot camp and they had the suck cut things. It was actually rather effective for all the buzzing.

poodlesrule
April 23rd, 2011, 08:46 AM
Didn't we have this discussion before?

I think I remember the large number of Fretters cutting their own, so to speak -as well as the similarly large number of us making limited use of cell phones/television...

deeaa
April 23rd, 2011, 09:43 PM
Didn't we have this discussion before?

I think I remember the large number of Fretters cutting their own, so to speak -as well as the similarly large number of us making limited use of cell phones/television...

Hm, I dunno how those two are related :-) ?

I cut my own hair (and my boys' hair too) with a Philips trimmer/cutter that is adjustable from 3mm to 26mm and anything in between (I'm approximating its like 1/10 to 1 inch) and I cut the sides and the back with the 3mm and going higher I progressively leave it a little longer and on top of the head I leave something like half an inch most of the time.

I do go to a barber maybe 2-4 times a year as when I do it myself for enough times, it kinda loses the cut too badly/becomes too hard to trim myself, so I need someone to make a nice cut now and then, so I can follow that and keep it nice for months myself.

Now I've let it grow some though, I'm checking out how thin it'll become over the summer, if it seems too flimsy I'll keep it short but it'd be fun to be able to have a little more hair for a change again.

But, I also make extreme use out of my cell phones and TV's :-)

otaypanky
April 24th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Since '96 or so. There sure were a few uh-oh moments during the learning curve ~
More money left over for gear, right?

poodlesrule
April 24th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Hm, I dunno how those two are related :-) ?
But, I also make extreme use out of my cell phones and TV's :-)

Those two are related in the sense that Fretters are somewhat outside of mainstream, IMO, a good thing ™.

Katastrophe
April 24th, 2011, 09:30 PM
I tried to cut my hair once. The guard slipped, and I cut out a nice "patch" in the front, just little off center. Had to give myself a buzz cut. Not a pretty sight. :(

Teleman77
April 25th, 2011, 10:46 AM
I've kept my head shaved since 1990, low maintenance indeed!

otaypanky
April 25th, 2011, 08:29 PM
I tried to cut my hair once. The guard slipped, and I cut out a nice "patch" in the front, just little off center. Had to give myself a buzz cut. Not a pretty sight. :(

I did the same thing when I started Kat. I had been lucky and had pulled off half a dozen home cuts with no bloodshed. One day I wanted a haircut but only had about 20 minutes before I had to leave for a class. Heck, I can do it.
In my rush I must not have secured the guard well enough and just as I ran a cut down the middle of my head, off it fell.
I'm more careful now ~

Robert
April 25th, 2011, 08:52 PM
My rock hairdo is fresh and home made -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhOdYpsCAGw

FrankenFretter
April 25th, 2011, 09:09 PM
I did the same thing when I started Kat. I had been lucky and had pulled off half a dozen home cuts with no bloodshed. One day I wanted a haircut but only had about 20 minutes before I had to leave for a class. Heck, I can do it.
In my rush I must not have secured the guard well enough and just as I ran a cut down the middle of my head, off it fell.
I'm more careful now ~

Sweet, a reverse Mohawk!

Perfect Stranger
April 26th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Me or my wife has been cutting my hir for 15 years now. I'd feel weird going somewhere to have it cut now.

warren0728
April 27th, 2011, 06:39 AM
not lately....

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq75/ww0728/misc/me2.jpg

Robert
April 27th, 2011, 07:27 AM
Wow Warren! Wow! I am at a loss for words.

sunvalleylaw
April 27th, 2011, 10:30 PM
Lookin' Good Warren! Jest don't get any in the pancakes! :pancake

stingx
April 27th, 2011, 11:37 PM
I have been going to a local barber for 12 years. Get my hair cut every 3 weeks and let him take the straight-edge to my face once a month. That's my mini vacation - very relaxing. He's a great barber who came here from Italy as a young man and has been at his business 40 years. He's the only guy I trust using a straight-edge on me.

I do my own manscaping though if that counts.

deeaa
April 28th, 2011, 12:08 AM
The thing about barbers is, I hardly ever go downtown, and I truly hate the idea of having to arrange a time to be there. It kinda ruins the whole day rhythm for me if I have to pre-set a time to be somewhere. Makes for all kinds of logistics problems; who's gonna get the kids from kindergarten, who's got the car and who cycles, etc, etc...

4 instance, I'll book a haircut at 4:30 p.m. so I can cycle downtown from work, and arrange for the wife to do the kid's rounds. Then as luck would have it, I happen to get off work already at three, so I have 1,5 hours to kill into cycling there. Then the cutting, then drive back, and I've wasted probably at least 2,5 hours for a thing I can do in 5 minutes flat at home. Just seems stupid to me.

I always do my best NOT to have any scheduled meetings or anything like that besides working hours/at work and of course band practice etc...and when I go to barber I just try to walk-in when I happen to be in town anyway. Most often they don't have a slot, and I end up checking 3-4 barbers before I find one who can fit me in just then, and that's when I have a haircut at a barber.

stingx
April 28th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Sounds too complicated. I just walk in and usually, at most, there's 2 people waiting. In and out in no time.

Brian Krashpad
April 28th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Actual haircut, no. Trims around the edges when it's getting really long, yes.