PDA

View Full Version : Rhythm blues development - need some ideas/insight

progrmr
April 23rd, 2011, 09:43 PM
I'm working on my blues rhythm chops - I want to get good at hearing a beat and put a nice blues progression on top of it.

I love me some Albert King and lots of his songs have a strong lead and bass but there's a lot of opportunity to practice put down some rhythms.

One of my favs is "Oh Pretty Woman". Song has a strong driving main riff that's a bit funky. Goes like this (8th note sub-division):

--------------------------------
--------3--3--------------------
--5-----------5-----3--5--------
-----------------5--------------

So super cool riff - problem I'm having is coming up with a rhythm that sits behind it but adds to the flow.

Most of the blues progressions stuff that I've been working on (truefire.com) shows a lot of standard 7th's and 9th's. But with a strong riff like this - those chords just don't sound right. Here's what I'm tweaking but it's got a way to go:

---------3--3-------------------
--7------3--3--7-----3--4-----
--5------------5--5--3--4-----
------------------5-------------

So power chords and double stops that follow the riff chords. Truth be told this isn't very inventive IMO - I've got some ideas floating around in my head about making more of a "stabby" sound by only working certain beats like the downbeat on one and the upbeat on two, then maybe the four/four and...adding some syncopation but following the main riff.

Any ideas on how to expand on the main riff with chords that don't take away from it??