PDA

View Full Version : Anyone play a Cornford?

guitartango
April 25th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Hi Guys

I'm looking for a 5-10W amp for bedroom use and came across the Cornford Harlequin. (http://www.cornfordamps.com/harlequin.htm)

Looks like a perfect amp to me, or i could get the Marshall Class 5

Anyone played one before?

hubberjub
April 25th, 2011, 01:28 PM
I know a guy, Chris Michetti, who used to use a Cornford of some variety. It was one of the 50 or 100 watt heads. He played with a band called Raq and is now on tour with Conspirator (an offshoot of the Disco Biscuits). It's a real high gain amp. If you were comparing a Cornford to a Marshall, I wouldn't think that they were direct competitors. Isn't the Class 5 Chinese made components that have been assembled in the UK? I just read a couple of reviews that did not seem overly impressed by the build quality. The Cornford is a handmade amp. Unfortunately, it's probably next to impossible to find a place to try one out.

mrmudcat
April 25th, 2011, 02:31 PM
cornford are great amps!!

Jimi75
April 25th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Yeah, I have tested/played plenty of them. Not exactly the Harlequin, but other models and I can tell you they sound amazing.

guitartango
April 26th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Thanks Guys, looks like this will be my next GAS purchase. Point to Point amp for only £650....$1,070.20 !!!.

mrmudcat
April 26th, 2011, 04:38 PM
I might pick up one also as you got me to spend atleast an hour looking at vids and sound clips!!! I also want to pick up a bogner shiva then ill be set!!!!:socool The harlequin are about $1500 in the states

oldguy
April 26th, 2011, 06:49 PM
They sound killer, but I just got my Super Reverb rebuilt by Vintage Amps, so no cash for awhile.......:(

markb
April 27th, 2011, 03:47 AM
I've played through a Harlequin and the next one up (name escapes me). They're really nice amps.

Mac Morganfield
September 19th, 2011, 06:31 AM
I may be a little late into this but, as much as they are great amps, you'll only love it if you have a bedroom the size of a small club or understanding neighbours! The Harlequin is a superb amp, really great sound with plenty of headroom and built like the proverbial MBT. The only thing is, it is LOUD. I tried a couple of amps looking for the bedroom/home practice amp and the Cornford was the best sounding out of all of them (probably the most expensive as well) but you have to crank it to make it really sing and, for that reason, i would'nt recommend it for a home practice amp. I thought the master volume would enable me to crank up the Volume dial which is really a gain 1 and gain 2, yet lower the actual volume but still it's a wall shaker.

I may have considered it if it was cheaper but i went with the Vox Lil Night Train instead and that is a great deal cheaper and gives me what i want.