PDA

View Full Version : New LP style Truss Rod Cover design

syo
April 25th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Since my recent experience designing/creating a truss rod cover for one of my guitars went well, I'm planning on designing some for other guitars as well. While I was designing my Hell TRC, I also did a quick take on a Les Paul style cover. I just put it in a layout and it doesn't look half bad. Must say I always disliked the shape and unrefined look of the original. I know custom covers aren't for everyone but I'm looking forward to having some time to design and create some more. I'm thinking to make these out of either zinc alloy or pewter. Please, anyone, let me know what you think. Does anyone out there use custom TRCs?

http://www.rotatingparts.com/test/TRC_LP1_mockup.jpg

FrankenFretter
April 25th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Very nice, Syo. Are you planning on doing Gibson covers only, or will you do the Epi style as well?

Katastrophe
April 25th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Very cool, syo! Combined with the right finish, (like a solid black Studio, for example), a pimped out pickguard would look killer, too!

otaypanky
April 25th, 2011, 09:10 PM
BOO TEE FUL ! Really tasty Syo.

syo
April 25th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Thanks gentlemen. Kat, a TRC/pickguard set is a nice idea. Since these will be made of metal the pickguard might add some unwanted heft to a LP. Maybe I could try to cast it in aluminum and see if there's a way to plate it. Would be cool. Maybe a matching toggle switch ring too. Hmmm....

Very nice, Syo. Are you planning on doing Gibson covers only, or will you do the Epi style as well?

Yes Sean, planning Epi flat bottom bell covers too. Generally I can use the same designs for both since they're so close.