PDA

View Full Version : Sitting with the Guitar

mark wein
April 26th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Here is this weeks blog...I'm not feeling very coherent today but I think I got the idea across...let me know what you think. http://markweinguitarlessons.com/forums/images/smilies/s.gif

This was inspired by a thread here in String Theory: http://markweinguitarlessons.com/forums/showthread.php?24860-Thesis-When-it-comes-to-sitting-positions-there-are-no-advatages...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNLcAEMoSUI

Remember that this weekly blog can be automatically delivered to you either via iTunes or RSS feed for free!

iTunes

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/mwglforums-com-string-theory/id432020611

RSS Feed

http://markweinguitarlessons.com/forums/external.php?forumids=58

(http://markweinguitarlessons.com/p/6chordlick.gp5) (http://markweinguitarlessons.com/p/6chordlick.gp5)

tjcurtin1
April 26th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Thanks, Mark - useful tips to consider, as usual.

mark wein
April 26th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Thanks, Mark - useful tips to consider, as usual.

:thu:

Thanks!

For some reason I've been a little less than coherent with my lectures this week....I'm glad you were able to understand it :p

sunvalleylaw
April 26th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Like I said over at your place, cool, and nteresting in a couple of ways. I do sit and play a lot. Always have. But I have pretty much always worn a strap, worn fairly high, except maybe with my acoustic. I, like you, have a similar position for the guitar standing and sitting. Both are fairly high, and I keep the neck up pretty high. However, I have worn my strap so the guitar hangs more swung around the side, more like most people's sitting position, but higher. This ends up pointing the neck out front farther, and creates some of the other issues you mentioned. But it is fairly consistent between sitting and standing. Still not ideal by a long shot. I will start moving it more over to the front to see if it opens up and relaxes my hands, arms and back more.

My acoustic is different, as it is a big dreadnought, and does not hang well whilst sitting. Sometimes I play it more in front, semi-classical style. Other times, I just use poor posture. Different issue really with the acoustic. I will have to use a different approach for that guitar.

BTW, I thought you were perfectly coherent. I just cracked up when you cut yourself off at the end. ;-)

jasongins
April 26th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Good video, perfectly coherent. The visual demonstration of standing up and showing the guitar to remain in the same relative position to the upper body is what sells it. The cut-off at the end is funny now that Sunvalleylaw mentions it...

When I first started playing, I went to see a teacher after a few months of trying to learn on my own and the first thing he changed was for me to put the guitar on my left leg, the way Mark is showing in his video. It made an immediate difference in my playing. With the weight of the guitar being taken out of my fretting hand, I was able to move around the fretboard much better, my reach became longer, barre chords came to me very quickly, and standing up become much less of a transition. Having a footrest for the left leg really helps. Occasionally I get lazy and put the guitar on my right leg, but after seeing this video I will be policing that behavior much more.

Tig
April 26th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Good stuff, Mark. I'm not very coherent after working the weekend, so it was all clear to me!

I tend to keep the guitar up high (not quite early George Harrison high). I always play with the neck up around 40-45 degrees, but sitting, I have to rest it on my right thigh. At 5' 7" (think Brian Setzer height), placing it on the left knee makes my upper body twist. I have to push the right shoulder forward to get the right hand in the best position.

On the right leg, it fits much more comfortably and feels natural. Almost exactly the same as standing. Different body types have different geometries, I guess. Then again, I'm a mutant. :messedup:

Retro Hound
April 27th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Wow, that was really helpful for a beginner like me! I nearly always sit and have noticed that for some things my left wrist is twisted and very difficult to use. Thanks Mark.

mark wein
April 27th, 2011, 08:21 AM
double post

mark wein
April 27th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Good video, perfectly coherent. The visual demonstration of standing up and showing the guitar to remain in the same relative position to the upper body is what sells it. The cut-off at the end is funny now that Sunvalleylaw mentions it...

When I first started playing, I went to see a teacher after a few months of trying to learn on my own and the first thing he changed was for me to put the guitar on my left leg, the way Mark is showing in his video. It made an immediate difference in my playing. With the weight of the guitar being taken out of my fretting hand, I was able to move around the fretboard much better, my reach became longer, barre chords came to me very quickly, and standing up become much less of a transition. Having a footrest for the left leg really helps. Occasionally I get lazy and put the guitar on my right leg, but after seeing this video I will be policing that behavior much more.

Wow, that was really helpful for a beginner like me! I nearly always sit and have noticed that for some things my left wrist is twisted and very difficult to use. Thanks Mark.

Thanks guys! It's been pretty interesting to read the feedback on this particular video since it is a subject that all guitarists have to deal with regardless of style and there isn't a "right" way of doing it....

Ch0jin
April 28th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Wow Mark! That lesson was actually quite an eye opener for me. I'm one of those hacks that taught themselves (hence why after 15 years I can only bust out three chords and a blues scale) and I play, almost always, sitting down (I take my favourite milk crate to jams too). I just naturally started playing with the guitar on my right leg (same as strumming hand) but I've just now tried resting it on my left leg and it really does feel quite different, in fact, as you mention, I immediately felt I should be playing Jazz or Classical guitar because of the positioning. I don't know if it's going to work out better for me or not, but I am certainly going to give it a go!

To take it to the other extreme though, is there actually a technique for playing (standing up) with a nice low slung style? I know people probably only sling 'em low for cool factor, but I can't deny it looks cool ;) I see guys playing low slung guitars all the time, but when I try it after playing in a seated type position, my fretting hand just feels like it's at a completely wonky angle.

Ch0jin
April 28th, 2011, 10:20 PM
....... At 5' 7" (think Brian Setzer height), placing it on the left knee makes my upper body twist. I have to push the right shoulder forward to get the right hand in the best position.

On the right leg, it fits much more comfortably and feels natural. Almost exactly the same as standing. Different body types have different geometries, I guess. Then again, I'm a mutant. :messedup:

Are you saying you use your right leg because at 5'7" your too tall, or too short to play it Marks way? Just curious because I'm 6'3" and have always played with the guitar resting on my right leg which results in my left forearm extending almost straight forward for the top of the fret board. If I switch to my left leg, obviously my fretting arm goes out and up quite a lot to get to the same place on the fret board.

Tig
April 28th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Are you saying you use your right leg because at 5'7" your too tall, or too short to play it Marks way? Just curious because I'm 6'3" and have always played with the guitar resting on my right leg which results in my left forearm extending almost straight forward for the top of the fret board. If I switch to my left leg, obviously my fretting arm goes out and up quite a lot to get to the same place on the fret board.

Too short, plus I have some damaged joints, tendons and ligaments. I've tried many times with the left leg rest, but it causes more problems for me that way.
Maybe I should stick to short scale guitars? :rollover

sunvalleylaw
April 28th, 2011, 10:35 PM
Too short, plus I have some damaged joints, tendons and ligaments. I've tried many times with the left leg rest, but it causes more problems for me that way.
Maybe I should stick to short scale guitars? :rollover

Or a uke? :AOK