PDA

View Full Version : Demo of an Orange head that doesn't suck...??

progrmr
April 26th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Seriously I've been trying to "get" the hype around Orange amps - particularly the tiny terror. Seems like every youtube video I've seen of them just sounds terrible

The Blackstar vids seem to sound great, as do the VOX vids...is it really just the videos or are Orange amps an "acquired" taste ?? Maybe the sound just doesn't work for me, but it sure seems like EVERYONE thinks they are the shiznat! :socool

progrmr
April 26th, 2011, 12:57 PM
hmmm...I guess this one sounds pretty good -

mIgFtvcOSVg

Still not sure I'm down with the tone. I'm gonna have to go try one out.

mrmudcat
April 26th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Orange has the dark terror coming soon also!! Most demos are recorded using the crappy camera/vid camera mics also.It is hard to capture real tones unless in person:socool

sunvalleylaw
April 26th, 2011, 03:41 PM
I heard one in GC when I was picking my CV tele that sounded great with the American strat this blues player was using. I think it was the tiny terror head through a cab. Maybe you have to go check one out yourself and see if it is what you are looking for.

Eric
April 26th, 2011, 03:48 PM
I watched a few demos with that guy after you posted your initial post, and I feel like he's not tuned quite right. Things sound a little off intonation-wise to me, which definitely doesn't help things.

All I really know about Orange is that the Tech 21 character series pedal based on them (Oxford) sounds pretty awesome; it's one of my favorites of the series based off of the demos I've heard.

mrmudcat
April 26th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Eric I thought the same thing !!! Sounds he is outta tune or something maybe detuned or some kind of alternative tuning!!

Katastrophe
April 26th, 2011, 06:13 PM
I dunno... I played on an Orange amph with a number of guitars when we lived near Austin, and just couldn't find a tone that I liked. That said, there are a number of guitarists I like that play Orange, and they get good tones.

For the price, I don't get the hype, either.

oldguy
April 26th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Folks, just remember.........a bad or poor player will make any amph sound bad. A good picker can make most rigs sound good. A good rule of thumb when trying to demo a piece of gear is use the K.I.S.S. method.
I'm guilty of not always doing that, but if you get the thing dialed in and keep it simple, the tones usually work.