PDA

View Full Version : In praise of the Peavey Classic 30

stingx
November 18th, 2006, 07:45 AM
I bough a C30 off Ebay last year. I was looking for a small, tube combo with balls and all signs pointed to the C30. Well, I have since re-tubed the amp with Eurotubes. I had a hard decision to make...did I want early or mid breakup, high headroom, etc? In the end I went with a custom solution that gives me the headroom needed at louder volumes and still can dirty it up quite nicely.

I then started contemplating replacing the stock Blue Marvel speaker. I was looking at Celestion Vintage 30s and G12H models. A friend pointed me towards the Emminence Red Coat but, in the end, I decided I liked the stock tone. I used my Shure Beta 57A and mic'd my amp direct into my 8-track. I wanted to capture a nice, very clean tone and I was using this to gauge feedback.

Anyway, I thought I'd share this little clip in case anyone was looking at obtaining a C30 and wondered just how clean it can sound. This is just purely my JV Strat into the C30...no processing added.

Peavey Classic 30 + JV Strat Test Clip (http://www.stubble.org/music/test_clip001.mp3)

Robert
November 18th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Nice tone! What pickup position were you using?

oldguy
November 18th, 2006, 08:19 AM
That is indeed a wonderful clean tone. I bet that little monster rocks when it's cranked, too. Your strat through it sounds great! I was waiting for Jimi to start singing at some point in that clip.:D
Thanks for that, it can really help when a bargain pops up on the 'Bay, a pawnshop special, or a yard sale.
Just curious, Sting, is you JV stock, and what type/gauge strings are you using? I asked because those PU's sound killer and I wondered what setting you used for that clip.
Glenn

SuperSwede
November 18th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Stingx, those JV strats are really nice guitars. And that classic 30 has a wonderful sound.

sunvalleylaw
November 18th, 2006, 09:25 AM
I bough a C30 off Ebay last year. I was looking for a small, tube combo with balls and all signs pointed to the C30. Well, I have since re-tubed the amp with Eurotubes. I had a hard decision to make...did I want early or mid breakup, high headroom, etc? In the end I went with a custom solution that gives me the headroom needed at louder volumes and still can dirty it up quite nicely.

I then started contemplating replacing the stock Blue Marvel speaker. I was looking at Celestion Vintage 30s and G12H models. A friend pointed me towards the Emminence Red Coat but, in the end, I decided I liked the stock tone. I used my Shure Beta 57A and mic'd my amp direct into my 8-track. I wanted to capture a nice, very clean tone and I was using this to gauge feedback.

Anyway, I thought I'd share this little clip in case anyone was looking at obtaining a C30 and wondered just how clean it can sound. This is just purely my JV Strat into the C30...no processing added.

Peavey Classic 30 + JV Strat Test Clip (http://www.stubble.org/music/test_clip001.mp3)

Thanks Stingx! That sounds awesome. Can you post a clip of it "dirtied up"? I am just a beginner and am shopping still. I have been playing at my lessons through my instuctor's Peavey and really like it. My first, and only electric, so far, is a 60th Ann. Std. Strat which I understand is a little similar to your JV. This place is awesome, keeps me inspired and practicing so hopefully one day I can make some tones like you, and the others here are dealing out.:DR

Steve

warren0728
November 18th, 2006, 09:56 AM
nice tones....i am going to retube my classic 20 with jj's from eurotubes....probably going to go for more headroom and warmth and less gain....that combo with a bad monkey in front should be perfect!

ww

stingx
November 18th, 2006, 10:18 AM
nice tones....i am going to retube my classic 20 with jj's from eurotubes....probably going to go for more headroom and warmth and less gain....that combo with a bad monkey in front should be perfect!

ww

Excellent idea. I use a Keeley modded TS9 but I am heading over to Sam Ash today to pickup the Bad Monkey and the Hot Head. A friend at work has the Bad Monkey and I like the extra flexibility it offers.

stingx
November 18th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Thanks Stingx! That sounds awesome. Can you post a clip of it "dirtied up"? I am just a beginner and am shopping still. I have been playing at my lessons through my instuctor's Peavey and really like it. My first, and only electric, so far, is a 60th Ann. Std. Strat which I understand is a little similar to your JV. This place is awesome, keeps me inspired and practicing so hopefully one day I can make some tones like you, and the others here are dealing out.:DR

Steve

Thanks, Steve. I should be able to find time to produce a dirtier clip over the weekend for you. Your 60th Ann Strat is a great instrument. Keep practicing. I started playing in the early 80s and stopped for a while and then got back into it again full force in the late 90s. I should be much better than I am for the amount of time I've been at it. :o

stingx
November 18th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Just curious, Sting, is you JV stock, and what type/gauge strings are you using? I asked because those PU's sound killer and I wondered what setting you used for that clip.
Glenn

Hello Oldguy. The pickups are completely stock. I saw no need to replace them. I know some do but I cannot understand why. I ditched the stock 9s for 10s. I believe I use 10s on all my electrics except my old Kramer w/Floyd. I prefer D'Addario 10s.

Also, I recorded that using only the neck pickup, amp kinda turned up with the volume rolled back on the guitar a bit.

Tone2TheBone
November 18th, 2006, 10:41 AM
I don't complain at all about my Classic 30 (JJs also all around). :) And that is saying something.

warren0728
November 18th, 2006, 10:44 AM
I don't complain at all about my Classic 30 (JJs also all around)
tone...did you get a special set from eurotubes or just pick some up locally or online. I've heard eurotubes is THE place to get jj's because he hand picks the tubes according to the basic sound you are looking for.

ww

Tone2TheBone
November 18th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Warren - There's a shop here in town that sells them and thats where I go. They're a highly technical bunch of people there so I trust their stock. If I didn't have them so close I'd definately go with Eurotubes though. I'm not sure if the JJ tubes I get locally are hand selected but heck they sure sound like it to me. Anything is better than Chinese tubes man!

PS - I didn't know Les Paul was your dad. +1

warren0728
November 18th, 2006, 11:03 AM
yeah i got the tubes for my valve jr locally but i think i'm going to get the tubes for my classic 20 from eurotubes.

hey mr. paul is a super nice guy...thats a pic of when i met him at the iridium jazz club in nyc a couple of years ago!! I got one of his picks off of his mike stand (which he signed for me)!

ww

Tone2TheBone
November 18th, 2006, 11:10 AM
How many guitar players have a photo like that one. Well maybe a few but that is just awesome.

Oh I wanted to also add that I tried one of the speakers out of my Marshall Jubilee combo (a Celestion Vintage 30) with the Classic 30 and while those speakers sound excellent in the Marshall...I thought the stock Blue Marvel speaker sounded best. It compliments the cabinet better with sweet round mids (lower mids) and makes the amp sound like a vintage Fender amp.....or a nice Dr. Z Carmen Ghia.....or a.... The Blue Marvel works well in the amp IMHO.

warren0728
November 18th, 2006, 11:33 AM
How many guitar players have a photo like that one. Well maybe a few but that is just awesome.

here's a little larger version....truly a musical highlight for me. You can see his pick on the table that he signed for me.

http://warrenworld.com/les_and_me.jpg

oh and to stay on topic....i think the peavey classic line of amps do not get the respect they deserve!

ww

Tone2TheBone
November 18th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Warren that is just an incredible photograph. Made me feel good seeing that. I've yet to make it up to the Iridium and I hope that it will be soon.

My Classic was a direct result of GAS acquired in this forum along with a good streak of shear luck. After lusting over photos of yours and Nel's I just had to have one. This series of amps are secret weapons of sweet tone. A serious chunk of the 'tone puzzle'.

stingx
November 19th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Hey Warren, that's a very cool picture with Les Paul.

SuperSwede
November 19th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Yeah! He still can play too! Really nice pic Warren.

warren0728
November 19th, 2006, 10:14 AM
his arthritis is pretty bad...mostly plays rhythm barre chords...if you ever get to nyc definitely hit the iridium on monday night...go to the late show and chances are you will get to meet him after the show.

my son wants me to take him because he really wants to meet him (gotta love that coming from a 10 year old!) I am going to take him soon i hope....flights from florida to nyc are cheap and we can stay with a friend of mine!

OH YEAH...keeping on topic: I STILL love my classic 20! :D

ww

sunvalleylaw
November 19th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Is this version the same as you are talking about? The face seems a little different, but I believe it is just a newer version?

Tone2TheBone
November 20th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Is this version the same as you are talking about? The face seems a little different, but I believe it is just a newer version?

I have the old style

The top is different...the new versions have the knobs upside down so you can adjust without looking at the amp standing on your head and levitating over it.

sunvalleylaw
November 20th, 2006, 09:07 AM
I have the old style

The top is different...the new versions have the knobs upside down so you can adjust without looking at the amp standing on your head and levitating over it.

This one I am looking at does not come with the foot pedal. I am told aftermarkets work fine. That is interesting about the controls. Functionally it should be the same? I understand the chassis changed a little but the sound stayed the same.

tot_Ou_tard
November 22nd, 2006, 09:25 PM
Man O Man StingX Y & Z that was chillingly beautiful.

More! We want more!

BJunior
December 21st, 2006, 08:26 AM
I now have a brand new Classic 30 Sitting under the Christmas tree in a box.... unopened.. (well I did take a look at it....).

Can't wait until Christmas Morning..

I'm really looking forward to using it...it was listed at $469. and I got it for $450.00.

Picked up a Boss Delay at the same time to go along with my Chorus.

sunvalleylaw
December 21st, 2006, 11:40 AM
I now have a brand new Classic 30 Sitting under the Christmas tree in a box.... unopened.. (well I did take a look at it....).

I'm really looking forward to using it...it was listed at $469. and I got it for $450.00.

Excellent!! I hope to join you in C-30 ownership in the not too distant future! Congrats! :DR

Justaguyin_nc
December 21st, 2006, 02:51 PM

BJunior: Under the tree? Can't you make like two little holes for input and powerchord? would be one rocking x-mas box!... Congrats.. look forward to hearing some clips from it...

Stingx: thanks for the clip... sounds so sweet...

Warren: thats a picture to last a lifetime.. very fortunate indeed

stingx
December 23rd, 2006, 12:59 PM
I remember someone wanting to hear the C30 "dirty". I was a bit busy for a while with work but I finally got the time to run a few guitars through the amp and capture some different tones that the C30 is capable of producing.

00:00 - 00:34 Yellow Ledbetter-ish clean tone using an Ibanez RS140 (neck single coil) - Nice breakup when you really hit the strings.

00:39 - 00:57 Angie intro clean tone using a Schecter PT (bridge humbucker) - Just for another clean example uses humbuckers.

01:02 - 02:09 A little drum, rhythm, and lead...both guitars are my Schecter PT (rhythm part uses the bridge humbucker and lead (right speaker) uses bridge 'bucker) - Various "dirtiness" here!

02:10 - 02:45 Lonely is the Night intro/riff (Schecter PT; bridge 'bucker)

02:46 - end Back in Black Riff (a la Robert!) I used the Schecter yet again.

No effects were used on this recording except some compression during mastering. Every take/part is simply a guitar into the amp and mic'd with a Shure Beta 57A straight into my Zoom MRS-8 multitrack recorder.

Here's the clip: http://www.box.net/public/91d1lryz7s

To keep your amp sounding its best, re-tube every two years. :)

warren0728
December 23rd, 2006, 02:00 PM
To keep your amp sounding its best, re-tube every two years. :)
there a new set of jj's from eurotubes "from Conner" under my tree right now for my classic 20!

BTW...nice playing....you got a nice variety of tones from that c30! :DR

ww

sunvalleylaw
December 23rd, 2006, 04:42 PM
Thanks StingX! I was the one who asked to hear the "dirtied up" tones. As Warren says, and as always, nice playing. I hope to pick up a C-30 just after the first of the year. This helps confirm my choice. Then, finally, I'll be able to change the "Shopping for my amp" in my sig line. Thanks again.

r_a_smith3530
December 25th, 2006, 12:21 PM
I hope to pick up a C-30 just after the first of the year. This helps confirm my choice. Then, finally, I'll be able to change the "Shopping for my amp" in my sig line. Thanks again.

As nice as the Classic 30 is, the Classic 50 is just that much better, and before making your decision, I recommend that you give one a test drive. IMNSHO the Classic 30 has two minor shortcomings. First, the way that the tubes are mounted, they tend to rattle. There are several aftermarket solutions out there to correct this. It is well documented. The other shortcoming is the lack of a standby switch, so that if you want to unplug and plug an instrument in, you should shut the amp down. That pop, snap, or whatever that you hear when you disconnect or connect an instrument in to a valve amp is something the valves do not like. The Classic 50 incorporates a "standby" switch that separates the input circuitry from the power circuit.

As a bonus, you get 20 extra watts to do whatever you would like with! BTW, this is not to diss the Classic 30, as it has the same circuit design as the other members of the Classic family.

sunvalleylaw
December 25th, 2006, 12:37 PM
As nice as the Classic 30 is, the Classic 50 is just that much better, and before making your decision, I recommend that you give one a test drive. IMNSHO the Classic 30 has two minor shortcomings. First, the way that the tubes are mounted, they tend to rattle. There are several aftermarket solutions out there to correct this. It is well documented. The other shortcoming is the lack of a standby switch, so that if you want to unplug and plug an instrument in, you should shut the amp down. That pop, snap, or whatever that you hear when you disconnect or connect an instrument in to a valve amp is something the valves do not like. The Classic 50 incorporates a "standby" switch that separates the input circuitry from the power circuit.

As a bonus, you get 20 extra watts to do whatever you would like with! BTW, this is not to diss the Classic 30, as it has the same circuit design as the other members of the Classic family.

Good thoughts. The guy who sold me my strat performs through a 50. However, I am just a home and garage/basement player and want the slightly easier portability of the 30 me thinks. Should have it in a few weeks. I don't mind shutting down to unplug at this point. The unit I am looking at does not rattle much, and I will just have to live with a little I think, or buy the ebay fix.

r_a_smith3530
December 25th, 2006, 05:32 PM
The 50/410 is just a shade over 62 pounds, and just for the record, mine spent more time in my bedroom than on any blues club stage. I did add a set of Ernie Ball casters to it though. It fit fine in the back seat of any car I've owned over the past decade, including my Shelby GLHS, a Dodge Omni on steroids. Before buying my current Neon Sport Coupe, I had looked at a Geo Metro (gas mileage, you know), and it fit fine there too. Now that I have my bass "stack," I am certainly glad I didn't get the Metro!

If you do a Google search on the Classic's and add "mods," you will find several sources for a fix to the Classic 30 tube issue. In fact, Bob at Eurotubes may even have a fix.

stingx
December 25th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Just to clear up any misconceptions and to add my two cents regarding points that have been brought up. Here's a quote from a person from a technical board I frequent. I consider him knowledgeable but, of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

"Many manufacturers these days don't fit standby switches.
Technically, if the amplifier is cathode biased (as mine, Selmer Zodiac 30, Vox 'AC' types, some Ampegs & many other 'vintage' valve amps etc. are) , then it's not neccessary.
But... with grid biased amps (as most are now), having no standby switch is a problem - in so much as when the amp is switched on, the H.T. voltage can rise before the bias voltage does & this gives rise to a condition, where the output valves are run way too 'hot' (under-biased)for a short while - this can reduce the working life of the output valves.
Some amplifiers which do have a standby switch suffer the same problem - on some older Marshalls, etc, the standby swich also turns off the bias supply (bad idea) but these can be easily modified to cure the problem.

In a well designed, well built amplifier this problem would never arise.

The problems with standby switches are:
1/ that many players will not observe the correct routine for switching on & off if the amp has too many switches & then the standby switch becomes superfluous. It's also an additional build cost & isn't a particularly effective selling point (from the point of view of the larger manufacturers), who will want to fill a piece of equipment with as many gadgets, whistles & bells as they can & still retain the market price at which they want to sell.
2/. Higher power (50watts +) amplifiers run at voltages which exceed the safe working voltage rating of many of the switches that the manufacturers use! And suitable switches cost a fortune.

I personally like to have a standby switch fitted even on the cathode biased amps (if there's enough space for one) - just so that the amp can be silenced during breaks but leaving the valves heaters on ready for instant action when you re-start.

Given that most 'built to a price' amplifiers have many more serious problems to address, the lack of a standby switch is not usually the major issue.
Whereas transformers which are too small for the given task & therefore 'saturate' too early and wild claims of high wattage outputs from a set of output valves incapable of delivering the claimed power, are a much bigger problem."

As mentioned, there are many sites you can visit to perform very simple mods on any amplifier, the C30 being no exception. There is no such thing as a perfect amp in the normal price point we are discussing here. You can even spend thousands of dollars on boutique amps and still someone will find a shortcoming to ***** about.

stingx
December 25th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Good thoughts. The guy who sold me my strat performs through a 50. However, I am just a home and garage/basement player and want the slightly easier portability of the 30 me thinks. Should have it in a few weeks. I don't mind shutting down to unplug at this point. The unit I am looking at does not rattle much, and I will just have to live with a little I think, or buy the ebay fix.

Just get the tube tamer off ebay for 20 bucks and the rattle is a non-issue. I installed it in under 5 minutes and added the metal guard in the back to protect the tubes when transporting. Minor stuff to stew over.

It's all about what you want. In all seriousness, even the Classic 30 is too much for home use...it gets frickin' loud. The whole point of having a tube amp is to enjoy the breakup of the tubes at high output BUT to achieve this with even a 15-20 watt amp at home isn't always easy because of the loudness.

This is why a lot of folks turn to modelers. I have gone back to the basics though because I have found modeling sterile in comparison to a great tube setup. I am looking to go very low wattage and build or buy an amp rated at no more than 2 watts to get that coveted tone and use it for home recording and practicing. I am not one for many effects. I love the sound of a well crafted and set up guitar through a tube amp with reverb. Perhaps a little tremolo and chorus to taste.

warren0728
December 25th, 2006, 09:40 PM
I am looking to go very low wattage and build or buy an amp rated at no more than 2 watts to get that coveted tone and use it for home recording and practicing.
i am right with you...i am moving to lower and lower wattage amps too!

A 1/2 Watt Gilmore Jr Kit from guytronix (http://guytronix.com) just might be my next amp....

ww

sunvalleylaw
December 25th, 2006, 11:13 PM

A 1/2 Watt Gilmore Jr Kit from guytronix (http://guytronix.com) just might be my next amp....

ww

I hear you guys. More good points. At a certain point, I just have to buy something, and it is what I want right now. I am going to start here, and maybe add a Vox AD modeler later for my son, and for me to use after the kids are in bed. Kind of a reverse of my old plan, but so be it. Thanks all for the advice and Sting for the great clips.

BJunior
December 27th, 2006, 07:47 AM
To post a couple of questions about the classic 30 to some owners...

I just unpacked my Classic 30 on Christmas morning and have been test driving it... and I've noticed a few things that really bother the crap out of me and I would like to know if this is normal.

First of all when the amp is on it has quite a lot of noise to it, I say that because my blues Junior you would never really know is on until you play through it. The noise is always there and gets prominent when you crank it up past 5. A constant hum, the amp will be miced and I know this will be an issue with the sound man... I'll find out tonight for sure... hope I'm not being to picky here...

The reverb adds more noise to it when you crank that up, that can't be normal. Is anyone elses reverb noisey?

Turning the unit off adds a loud pop if you have the second channel engaged, anyone else have that problem?

Should I take this back for a replacement?

Spudman
December 27th, 2006, 08:45 AM
BJ
The C30 does pop a bit when you turn it off. I think it is less apparent when it is on the clean channel. Try turning the volume down completely just before you switch it off.

Noise? Some but not a lot. Try rotating your tubes. Pull them and put #3 in the #1 spot, #2 in the #3 spot and #1 in the #2 spot. Try that with both pre and power tubes. Seems like it helped my noise problem.

If that takes care of the problem and it is a used amph, then order a new set of JJ tubes and after they arrive take the unit and the new tubes in to be biased, unless you can do that yourself.

A little hum is normal, but annoying persistent hum is not. Check your cables and try different guitars if you can too.

stingx
December 27th, 2006, 09:04 AM
You should not have any excessive or annoying humming coming from your C30. I record with mine and I would never tolerate having what you describe going on. The popping is another matter and is best handled as Spudman said, just turn the volume down before powering off. Even if you don't you won't harm the amp.

The first thing I would check as to why you have hum is to make sure all the tubes are properly seated and that the clips are fastened securely to the tubes. This will help to alleviate any rattling or hum. Also check that you are not using the amp next to florescent lighting or CRT.

The only time I get hum is when I am either using an unshielded single coil guitar and have it cranked very loudly on the dirty channel or if I use a bad cable from the 80s (I throw nothing out, sadly) and it picks up TV broadcasts :)

One last thing to consider, and possibly the most import one...if your amp was purchased used, the tubes may have gone microphonic on you. A simple re-tubing will then solve your problem.

Tone2TheBone
December 27th, 2006, 03:56 PM
I notice that when plugged into my powered up pedal board I don't get that pop from the amp when I power it off. I only get it when I run straight into the amp with cable and guitar. Aren't all Class A amps hummy anyway? I kinda like that hum myself. For recording purposes though I can see why it would be a drag.

BJunior
December 28th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Update on the amp,

Apparantly there was something wrong with the amp that I purchased... (bad pot or something..)

Took it back to where it was purchased and they ordered another one right from Peavey. The Classic 30 is one of their biggest sellers and they just happened to be out because of the Holiday rush.

To clear up a few things that I've read thus far about this amp. The new design has incorporated a fix for the tube buzz.

I was tempted while I was there to pick up another amp. I'm not sure if anyone has any experience with the Fender Blues Deluxe. IT seemed like a nice amp, incorporated a standy switch with would make it a bit easier for instrument changes and it added 10 watts (although I can't imagine at this point why 30 would not be enough, the classic 30 can get extremely loud). Nice Clean sound from the blues Deluxe from what I could tell.

Haven't decided yet about the Blues Deluxe, I was assured that the classic 30 would be quiet when I got the replacement. I highly respect the persons opinion that I bought it from, I've been shopping there quiet a while and he's extermely knowlegable and a killer player and he recommended the classic 30 to me in the first place...

BJunior
December 30th, 2006, 08:38 PM
r_a_smith3530,

Great Advice,

I had to check out the Classic 50 while I was waiting on my 30. I couldn't believe the tonal options available. What a great sounding amp.

What sold me over the 30 was the Standy Switch, the Master Volume which allows me to play at any level I want to, And what a great 4x10 sound incredible.

Just with the amp alone and no pedals it was amazing!

My new christmas present.:D

tot_Ou_tard
December 30th, 2006, 10:14 PM

ww
When is that 1/2 watt Gilmore Jr gonna show up at the IHOP?

sunvalleylaw
January 1st, 2007, 05:23 PM
Ok, here are a couple shots of my first amp! EDIT: DELETED. SEE SHOT BELOW. Should get here by the end of the week. I will post some "as delivered" shots to replace these when it comes. EDIT: DONE. Has the dust cover, footswitch, and seems to be well taken care of. :D :DR :D Excitement is an understatement.

stingx
January 1st, 2007, 05:48 PM
Ok, here are a couple shots of my first amp! Should get here by the end of the week. I will post some "as delivered" shots to replace these when it comes. Has the dust cover, footswitch, and seems to be well taken care of. :D :DR :D Excitement is an understatement.

Ah, a thing of beauty!

warren0728
January 1st, 2007, 06:08 PM
you are gonna love that amp...i have it's younger brother (c20) and it is great (and tonight i am going to replace the tubes in the c20 for a set of jj's i got from eurotubes).

The only thing i am going to do is get an external cab for it (and a few other projects i have in mind! :DR ).

I would like to find a peavey 112e that matches the old tweed 20's and 30's that we have and love. I keep checking ebay....

ww

duhvoodooman
January 1st, 2007, 06:33 PM
Almost as purty as my Delta Blues 1x15! You're gonna love it....

stingx
January 2nd, 2007, 04:23 PM
http://www.stubble.org/temp/guitars/peavey_c30-001.jpg

sunvalleylaw
January 2nd, 2007, 05:17 PM
Well StingX, that's REAL purdy! The run down on the pedals is your Hao pedals, the Sonic Maximizer, the TS9, and ________? Not in that order of course. I kind of like the amp with the Peavey grill logo pulled off. When mine gets here, I will have to give it a week or two and see if I pull it off too.

stingx
January 2nd, 2007, 05:21 PM
Well StingX, that's REAL purdy! The run down on the pedals your Hao pedals, the Sonic Maximizer, the TS9, and ________? Not in that order of course. I kind of like the amp with the Peavey grill logo pulled off. When mine gets here, I will have to give it a week or two and see if I pull it off too.

Thanks, Steve. I took it off when I had screwdriver in hand installing the tube tamer and tube saver. I was curious to see how it would look and I ended up liking it much better without it. It looks much cleaner.

Oh, here's a closer view of the pedals:

http://www.stubble.org/temp/guitars/bcb-60-001.jpg

-Pete

sunvalleylaw
January 3rd, 2007, 11:09 PM
The amp got here! In good condition, with the footswitch and dust cover. I am very happy with this Craigslist deal, semi long distance from Provo, UT. The seller was great. Here is a shot of the amp at home with its new friend, in my normal playing area.

We went over to someone's house for dinner, so only had a chance to play around a little with clean channel, no preamp, levels set to 5, volume to 3. Love at first chords!

Tone2TheBone
January 3rd, 2007, 11:23 PM
Welcome to the club Steve. Get up tomorrow and have some quality time with your new amph. :)

r_a_smith3530
January 4th, 2007, 12:53 AM
Congrats on your new amp's arrival. Play it with love!

warren0728
January 4th, 2007, 01:27 AM
you gotta love the peavey classic series of amps....enjoy!!

ww

Spudman
January 4th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Congrats. I'm sure you'll agree it was worth the wait and taking a chance on. Play on brother.:)

Algonquin
January 1st, 2008, 10:35 AM
http://www.stubble.org/temp/guitars/peavey_c30-001.jpg
That's a great clean looking setup you've got there Pete!

Well, it's New Years Day and I've been spending some quality time here at the Fret reviewing posts of different amps and such. I've just finished reading all 55 previous posts in this thread... Man there's a lot of 'Classic 30' fans on board!

I've priced these new at about $620 in my area, and have seen them listed used for about $400. I like the idea of buying new, but the thought of saving some coin buying used is tempting. The used one I was just looking at had some photos and has the a tube guard installed... maybe they're standard now.

There really is a tremendous amount of info here in the older posts! It pays big time to do a little bit of searching.

And Pete... Awesome Planet Waves 'Satch' strap you've got there in the background! :AOK:

sunvalleylaw
January 1st, 2008, 10:41 AM
Had mine 'bout a year now. Still love it! Lots of room for me to grow with it. Keep looking, you should be able to find a good used one. I did.

stingx
January 1st, 2008, 11:03 AM
I bought mine used on Ebay for under $300. The seller also happened to be less than 15 miles from my home so I saved money on shipping by picking it up from his place. He threw in the tube tamer, tube guard, and footswitch.

Algonquin
February 11th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Look what followed me home... ;)
http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/72147ab4d8e90fdd.jpg
I bought this new just over a week ago and would have to say I'm very pleased with the purchase. I tried many other great sounding amps before I chose this one, some more expensive, some less. This one had a great combination of size, sound, watts, and looks. I've run my Tele into this, with the Fishman piezo's into my JC and it really is impressive! I have to keep my eyes peeled for some type of A/B box so I can run my other guitars through both amps as well. Reverb on this amp is fine for my needs, I have been keeping the verb faily low though... it kind of gets away from you if set too high. I have no immediate plans to tinker with this amp. I liked the sound of it and will wear the tubes out before I replace them. When I do I'll go for some that give it a bit more clean headroom. Nothing wrong with the way it is, it's just a personal preference.

Overall, I'm a pretty happy camper! :AOK:

Robert
February 11th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Congrats, you can never go wrong the that amp! I really like it.

sunvalleylaw
February 11th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Yeah, congrats! I think it can do a lot of things. I have been very happy with it as my first amph, and I don't see myself getting rid of it, even if I add something else some day, like a Vox modeler to throw in the trunk. Even if I were to get a bigger tube amph, I think I would keep it. Glad you joined the club!

Spudman
February 11th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Welcome to the club.:AOK:
Now all you need is...a 4x12 for the big gigs and an extra 1x12 for the intimate clubs and a 2x12 just cause they sound cool at home and then...you'll need another C30 so that you can run in stereo and...another 4x12 for the big gigs.............:poke:

stingx
February 11th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Congrats. Avatar makes a really nice 1x12 for it if you can't find the 112E that's been long discontinued.

Algonquin
February 11th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Congrats. Avatar makes a really nice 1x12 for it if you can't find the 112E that's been long discontinued.

Thanks... I've been searching the Net to see if there are any 112E's floating around, none that I could find though.

I've seen some 1x12 cabs that use almost identical tweed covering, but they're a bit narrower than the C30. Not sure if it's a good idea to stack them, but that's what I was thinking.

Algonquin
June 4th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Well I've had this amp for the last four months and I am still 100% happy. What a great sounding little amp!... Thanks so much to all here who brought it to my attention by their reviews and such.

The drive channel is so good my for needs, that I have'nt used my OD pedals much since getting it. I pretty much plug straight in, and have delay and verb running through the effects loop... this makes a noticable difference to my ears.

The clean channel has a wonderfully warm compressed sound when I run the Tele though it. Whether you shell out the coin for a new one, or purchase one second hand... the value is hard to beat!

Thanks again Folks :AOK:

stingx
June 4th, 2008, 12:48 PM
I'm so satisfied with my C30 combo that I have stopped looking at combo amps altogether. I love the gain channel too and I find the clean has lots of warmth and sparkle. Did you ever hook up an extension cabinet to it? Wow!

Spudman
June 4th, 2008, 01:00 PM
I've been taking my C30 to open mic gigs and have no complaints. It performs very well. I usually use the clean channel with some dirt pedals in front. At home I really love the gain channel because I can hear the nuances more clearly than I can with a drummer banging away right next to me.

For gigs I prefer the Delta with it's 15 inch speaker because I get a little more bass from it, but it is essentially the same amp with just a different cabinet and speaker.

I haven't got to try the C30 with an extension cabinet yet. The little sucker is loud enough without one.:rockon:

sunvalleylaw
June 4th, 2008, 01:06 PM
I love mine! I need to spend time with the drive channel and using just the amph and guitar to find tones. I love the Bad Monkey driving it, and the DS-1 helping it cut for leads, and also the Little Big Muff Pi Fuzz alone for tones. Algonquin, I just use the spring verb that is in it. Do you prefer a pedal verb to the verb that is in it?

Algonquin
June 4th, 2008, 01:51 PM
The verb is great on the C30, but I picked up a Digiverb when a shop I frequent was clearing out a bunch of pedals. I had gone to pick up a chorus, but they were cleared out when I got there. The Digiverb was $60, and I felt compelled to leave with something :D The pedal verb has a lot of cool settings, so I get a lot of use out of it.

I haven't used the C30 with an extension cab yet, and it's probably going to have to wait a while. I just did some fancy footwork to justify getting a new canoe :bravo:, so I think I'm done spending money for now... at least that's what I've been told :rolleyes: