PDA

View Full Version : *NCD* (New Capacitor Day) With a PHOTO! You know you want to look...

FrankenFretter
April 28th, 2011, 07:24 AM
First off, let me just state for the record that I don't think that caps affect tone that much. I do think that upgrading from the factory brown chicklets may improve tone by a bit. Now with that out of the way, I present my Mullard Tropical Fish caps that came yesterday:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_NPlyZiLy0Pw/TblnTJlw5RI/AAAAAAAAA38/ia-ZgYpcEwk/s800/100_2233.JPG

According to the seller, they're new old stock. Any experts out there that can tell me if these are genuine NOS, or just hand painted replicas? They were pretty inexpensive, about as much as a pair of Orange Drops, so even if they're not vintage, I won't feel too bad. I plan on putting them in my HSB Agile AL2000, along with some different pickups (I've not yet determined which ones yet). Hopefully they'll play well together, but if they don't, I have other options in my capacitor trunk.

Go ahead...ogle my beautiful capacitors. Just don't let the wife catch you!

syo
April 28th, 2011, 07:51 AM
I wonder...
Has anyone here ever said on the subject of new caps, "pics or it didn't happen"?

Congrats Sean! Fine pair of mullards you got there. Umm, I mean...yeah!

progrmr
April 28th, 2011, 08:48 AM
When you install them I'd be interested in hearing how they affected the tone. I've got a lot of cheapies in my guitars and I was thinking about upgrading to orange drops if the tone is better.

EDIT: Here's a cool youtube video on the subject

92G-jw4TqS4

FrankenFretter
April 28th, 2011, 10:39 AM
When you install them I'd be interested in hearing how they affected the tone. I've got a lot of cheapies in my guitars and I was thinking about upgrading to orange drops if the tone is better.

EDIT: Here's a cool youtube video on the subject

I've seen that video. Pretty interesting.

I suppose I could change out the caps before I change the pickups. That would tell me if there's really a difference between the stock caps and these little fellas.