PDA

View Full Version : Valve Jr. tube swap project

oldguy
November 18th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Not sure it would be considered a "mod", but I got around to a project I've been wanting to do for a while. I replaced the tubes (all 2 of them) in the Valve Jr. head with a couple of JJ's. The EL 84 is a cooler "28" grade and the 12AX7 is the JJ ECC803S gold pin.
My impressions:
The amp "warmed up", notes seem "tighter" both low and highs seem clearer and less muddy. The amp seems (to me, at least) to have a bit more headroom before breakup begins, and when it does start breaking up, it's more harmonically "in tune" with itself. Notes seem more even, less ghost notes. When bending strings and using finger vibrato, the amp "follows" what you're doing better than before. And it sounds overall better, as long as you play cleanly. I think it's less forgiving of mistakes than before. What you play is what you get, you play sloppy, you hear it plainly. OOPS!:D
I also ordered a warmer grade EL84 (36 grade), an ECC83S gold pin, and an ECC 81, and will be doing more swaps later to see what results they yield. But for now I'm leaving it like it is so I can PLAY it since I finally have a weekend off!
Glenn

Spudman
November 18th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Nelskie posted a pretty lengthy description of some tube swaps that he did with his Jr. I'm not sure where it is on here exactly, but that post would be a good combination to have along with yours. Plenty of good info for us Jr. owners.

Tone2TheBone
November 18th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Play that puppy. I tried an entire set of JJs for the first time when I got my Classic 30 (EL84s, ECC83Ss) and picked up some ECC83Ss for my Marshall yesterday (V2, V3 postion...Groove Tube Mullard stays in V1). I like these tubes. Very musical and warm with the nice harmonics you want to hear. I think the 803S gold pin is a good choice for the Valve Jr. Warm them babies up and play them hard they'll be good to you. :)

warren0728
November 18th, 2006, 10:51 AM
i just put a set of jj's in my valve jr....ecc 83s for the 12ax7 and jjel84. It definitely made a difference....much less harsh with a warmer more balanced tone.

ww

tot_Ou_tard
November 22nd, 2006, 09:28 PM
I've got a JJ Gold pin 803s in my Tonelab with my future valve jr head's name on it.

Any other suggestions? I've gotta dig up Nelskie's posts on this subject.