PDA

View Full Version : If you were wondering how that Tele is s'posed to be played....

duhvoodooman
April 28th, 2011, 07:26 PM
....check out Albert Lee in this live performance of the classic "Luxury Liner" by Emmylou Harris and the Hot Band on the Old Grey Whistle Test back in '78. The extended outro solo starting about 2:10 is just freakin' AMAZING:

Jn77ZraSZ8A

mapka
April 28th, 2011, 08:41 PM
WOW! What great playin, what great Tele sound, and I love the Hagstrom bass!

msteeln
April 28th, 2011, 09:56 PM
If that doesn't justify my lifelong love affair with her, nothing will!

jpfeifer
May 3rd, 2011, 11:59 AM

I couldn't agree more, EmmyLou is a looker, I'm suprised that she wasn't a bigger star with talent and looks like that.

Albert Lee plays some incredible stuff on this song. This is one of those songs that I always go back to for my "benchmark" of what great Tele chicken pick'n is. He just burns on this song and it never gets boring no matter how long he solos. The ideas just keep flowing. Guys from England aren't supposed to play like this, he's a freak of nature :-)

--Jim

R_of_G
May 3rd, 2011, 12:14 PM
I couldn't agree more, EmmyLou is a looker, I'm suprised that she wasn't a bigger star with talent and looks like that.

Couldn't agree more with both of you. Not sure how someone wouldn't be mesmerized hearing such a voice come out of such a beautiful woman.

Eric
May 3rd, 2011, 02:05 PM
Funny...when I read "If that doesn't justify my lifelong love affair with her, nothing will!", I assumed he was talking about "her" as in his tele.

jpfeifer
May 3rd, 2011, 02:17 PM
That's funny. I didn't think of it the other way but you could be right. Maybe I misunderstood msteeln's post.
Here's one way to find out. Watch the video clip and see which one you fall in love with first, Albert Lee's vintage Tele or EmmyLou. :-)

duhvoodooman
May 3rd, 2011, 02:18 PM
Funny...when I read "If that doesn't justify my lifelong love affair with her, nothing will!", I assumed he was talking about "her" as in his tele.
Spoken like a true gear nerd! :thumbsup ;)

helliott
May 3rd, 2011, 02:51 PM
Albert is a freak, in the most wonderful way. And Daniel Lanois is putting together a concert in a local conservation area this summer, with Emmylou headlining. Haven't seen her, but have always loved her music, including one I have of her and Knopfler which is at times stunningly beautiful. Suffice it to say, I'm there at Christie this summer to see her. Maybe she'll bring Albert? S-h-s--w-i-n-g!!!!!!

R_of_G
May 3rd, 2011, 03:50 PM
Ha, you're right Eric, he could have been talking about a Tele and not the lovely Ms. Harris. Still, I've had a crush on that woman for so long there's no point stopping now. :)

jpfeifer
May 3rd, 2011, 04:23 PM
R_of_G -- your eyesight is perfect :-)

oldguy
May 3rd, 2011, 06:49 PM
Both my Telecasters are for sale now.......thanks DVM. :cry::cry::cry:

sunvalleylaw
May 3rd, 2011, 11:06 PM
That is great!!! But to me, a tele is supposed to be played like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16u0wwCfoJ4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQIChg4bzJo&playnext=1&list=PLF782A65F55D183AC

They just beg to be thrashed. :AOK:AOK

Albert is amazing though!

oldguy
May 5th, 2011, 04:09 AM
Thanks, sunvalley!!! Tele's no longer for sale!!! :) ;)

duhvoodooman
May 5th, 2011, 07:50 AM
64 years old and still freakin' GORGEOUS:

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTY4OTkxMjExNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDM5OTY1._V1._ SX327_SY400_.jpg