PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep up with the forums?

Pickngrin
May 5th, 2011, 07:04 PM
I'd like to ask you folks how you manage to keep up with many of the discussions on The Fret (or any other board, for that matter). When I log in, it can be difficult for me to get a good overview, with the multiple subforums. Granted, I hadn't been logging in much over recent months, but still. If I subscribe to too many threads, it becomes overwelming to my inbox. I'd like to be able to participate a bit more without getting too bogged down.

Thanks.
PnG

Ch0jin
May 5th, 2011, 07:29 PM
I usually hit the "subscribed threads" link first, then hit the "what's new" link and browse from there.

Katastrophe
May 5th, 2011, 07:41 PM
I look at the home page for the latest posts, then go under the "Forum" tab and click on "New Posts." I don't subscribe, I just remember the ones I'm following...

Tig
May 5th, 2011, 08:15 PM
From any page, click "Settings" in the upper right to see any new posts in the threads you have added to/subscribed to.
and/or
Click "New Posts" near the upper left once you are in the forum.

Sometimes the Home page has something new or interesting in the left column.

Spudman
May 5th, 2011, 09:19 PM
On my browser (Chrome) just under the logo is a "what's new". That's usually what I click on. And I check in often just so things don't get so out of control that I can't get caught up. I seldomly subscribe to any threads.

sunvalleylaw
May 5th, 2011, 10:41 PM
I usually hit the "subscribed threads" link first, then hit the "what's new" link and browse from there.

I do like that. But i gave up on keeping up with everything all the time. I got too busy the last year or two. Sometimes I just let some stuff go.

sunvalleylaw
May 5th, 2011, 10:43 PM
I seldomly subscribe to any threads. You are subscribed automatically every time you post in this newer format. Just go to "subscribed threads" and you will see if there is activity on threads where you posted.

Eric
May 6th, 2011, 09:55 AM
I usually just go to the user control panel ("settings") to see what's happening in threads I've posted in or subscribed to (no email subscriptions though). Once those threads die down and I'm bored, I'll go to the new posts to see if anything interesting has come up.

If it's been awhile, I'll just find the highlights. Like SVL said, sometimes I just let things go if it's too much. It's supposed to be fun, after all.

Pickngrin
May 7th, 2011, 07:58 AM
Thanks, guys. I think the problem I have is that sometimes I am easily sidetracked by interesting-sounding thread titles, or links in one thread to something else. Like you said, Eric, it's supposed to be fun...

kidsmoke
May 9th, 2011, 10:16 AM
On my browser (Chrome) just under the logo is a "what's new". That's usually what I click on. And I check in often just so things don't get so out of control that I can't get caught up. I seldomly subscribe to any threads.

yep, that's me. I'm sure I miss or forget something from time to time, but I forgive myself this infraction. It's a guitar forum after all, much as I love and value this place.

Tig
May 9th, 2011, 04:20 PM
I tend to post at all hours due to my work schedule.

My secret is airplane model glue. Now, the forums have to keep up with me!

http://carpetbaggery.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/sniffing-glue.jpg

Pickngrin
May 9th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Hehe I love that scene from Airplane. Lest anyone think that I am overly obsessive, I just find that it's very easy for me to lose track of threads if I don't log in often, and there are always other posts that interest me. Ok, maybe I am a bit obsessive.