PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Gigable Tube amp that I can play at home

Lev
May 6th, 2011, 04:50 AM
Lately I've been considering a change of amp, I've had my (USA made) Fender HRDlx for about 12 years now and it has servered me well but it has it's faults. On the plus side it is loud enough to bring to any gig and cut through against the loudest of drummers. It also stays very clean at gig volumes meaning I can play a wide variety of funk, pop, blues, rock music at gig levels with a loud drummer without any breakup on the cleans.

On the negative it's too god damn loud to play at home even on 1 and the drive channel is truely awful to my ears. Ok I can put a dirt box on the clean channel but I've never been completely satisfied and I've tried a lot of pedals over the years. I think the concensus is that the stock speaker just can't do decent gain sounds. Everything in the amp is stock including the tubes - I'm a little clumsy and try not to open up electronic devices that can potentially kill me!

I could try new tubes and new speaker and pay someone who knows what they are doing to upgrade my amp without really knowing what it will sound like in the end. Or I could sell it, add a little cash and get something really sexy!

So I excitedly went researching the net for someting new and sexy to find the only amps that really met my criteria were the HRDlx III or the Blackstar HT-40 Club.

Here's what I'm looking for:
1) Clean Headroom to gig with - I think that means at least 30W

2) 2 channels with a useable overdrive channel - would be nice if I could trun the gain knob from the Rolling Stones up to ACDC - I rarely need heavier sounds than that.

3) Assuming it has a good overdrive channel then I'll be needing an FX loop for my M13.

4) It'd be nice if I could get good sounds at low volume so a good master volume control or variable power switch would be nice

5) Budget is about $700 which puts the Egnater Rebel out of my price range.

So I'm left with the HRDlx or Blackstar HT40.

The new HRDlx does appear to overcome much of the pit falls that my current version has; an upgraded speaker, tapered volume pots to give better control at low volumes, a redesigned overdrive channel (although it's not hard to improve on the existing one). However it doesn't hit me with GAS desire coz it's for the most part the same as I have.

The Blackstar has some amazing features like independent tone control for the clean channel, 2 voicing modes on each channel, ISF tone shaping control, 2 reverb modes, emulated out for recording/PA and by all accounts a fantastic overdrive channel that will go from Rolling Stones to death metal if required. It also looks very nice and is €100 cheaper than the HRDlx.

What's not to love? Well, call me an old cynic but how can you bring in so many features on a 40W tube amp and not comprimise somewhere? Is labor in Korea really that cheap? At least I know from experienece that the Fender will last forever, I have a feeling that I may be a little nervous with the Blackstar.

My next step is to find a store that stocks both and try to do a side by side comparison but have any fretters tried either of these models? Or have I missed anything else out there?

Spudman
May 6th, 2011, 09:06 AM
You may not want to hear this but I'm going to mention the Bugera V22. I've put my HRDlx away in the basement since getting the V22. Master volume and pentode/triode switch makes playing at home not too loud. I love my M13 in front of it too. I have zero complaints about the sound or construction. I've had no issues with mine in almost 2 years of gigging with it. Best thing is that they don't cost much either.

Tig
May 6th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Spud's V22 is a good suggestion. Blackstar's HT 40 might be the right choice for your needs, but will it sound good at home without breaking the windows? I don't know..

What about the new Egnater Tweaker 40 (http://www.egnateramps.com/Products/Tweaker/Tweaker40.html)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pduyXz0h9M

I'd also look at the Jet City JCA22 (either the combo JCA2212 (http://www.jetcityamplification.com/2011/02/16/jca2212rc/) or the head JCA22H (http://www.jetcityamplification.com/2011/02/16/jca22h/)), which is the new 2 channel version of the JCA20. The 2nd channel has the coveted Soldano SLO lead circuit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgSwNT057Qo

sunvalleylaw
May 6th, 2011, 02:44 PM
I will always throw in the Peavey Classic 30 in this category. Footswitchable channels that are definitely usable, I like it at home, it can keep up with a drummer. FX loop, built in 'verb that I personally like, master volume on dirt channel. Sonically, it is maybe not as Fendery clean as you would like. They are warmer and middier I think, rather than that fender chime. But I sure like it and it fits your other criteria.

Spudman
May 6th, 2011, 02:59 PM
I will always throw in the Peavey Classic 30 in this category. Footswitchable channels that are definitely usable, I like it at home, it can keep up with a drummer. FX loop, built in 'verb that I personally like, master volume on dirt channel. Sonically, it is maybe not as Fendery clean as you would like. They are warmer and middier I think, rather than that fender chime. But I sure like it and it fits your other criteria.

What I'll say to that is that the C30 doesn't sound as good at low volume as the V22 does on either channel. FWIW :)

sunvalleylaw
May 6th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Whatever. :)

Lev
May 6th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll take a closer look at those amps. On the way home from work I dropped by the local GAS station to try some amps. They didn't have the Blackstar HT-40 so I tried it's big brother the 2x12 60w version and the new HRDlx III.

I tried the Fender first and was expecting an improved drive channel but was blown away by how great the clean was. It was much more dynamic and responsive than my current model. It sounded fantastic at low and moderate volume which was alot easier to control with the new tapered pots. The reverb seemed to be improved also, when I added it to the clean channel I instantly had 'that Fender sound'.

There's not a massive amount of gain on tap even using the 'more gain' channel and it is a tiny bit mid rangey and honkey. However with a little tweaking I got some very pleasing break up tones - SRV, Mayer, Hendrix all achievable on this channel. I'm not sure there was enough gain for classic rock so a pedal might be required here.

I then tried the Blackstar which was somewhat intimidating. Lots of controls and voicing switches for shaping your tone. To be honest some of the switches and controls seemed a little pointless, they changed the sound from very good to not quite so good. I think you would quickly find a good tone and never touch the voicings & ISF controls again. Anyway the first thing I noticed was a lot of buzz from the single coils on the Strat I was using. The clean channel was pleasing but not as dynamic as the Fender. The gain channels had a lot more dirt on tap which was fun to play with but to be honest it all felt a bit solid state to me. Obviously I couldn't crank it but still it left me a little cold.

So on this trial the HRDlx wins hands down. Fender have done a great job addressing all of the previous versions weaknesses. I now have serious GAS!!!!

Lev
May 11th, 2011, 06:53 AM
Been taking a closer looks at the Egnater Tweaker 40 (Thanks Tig for the suggestion). That seems exactly what I'm looking for, there's no release date yet or pricing info but I'm in no hurry. The only problem is that there are no Egnater dealers in Ireland so I'd be buying without a chance to try it out and if anything goes wrong i'm liable for shipping costs to return it. Anyone know how reliable Egnaters have been to date?

Lev
May 11th, 2011, 06:57 AM
The overdrive sounds incredible here.

uJdgrtcFVl0

Tig
May 11th, 2011, 07:59 AM
UPS (US package delivery apes) managed to damage the power tubes in mine. I emailed Egnater customer service and they shipped replacements quickly. I bought some Groove Tubes for a quick fix until the replacements arrived, and never changed them out. I've had absolutely no problems in the last 12+ months with mine. Someone else here had a Tweaker 15 that failed, but that's all I remember. I purchased an extended service plan from the store I bought mine from, so I'm covered for 2 more years (3 total).

The closest dealer to you is in Newcastle, England! I doubt you'll be going that far. I've heard the 40 will run $599 US street price, but not sure about international prices.

Lev
May 11th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Yeah there are plenty of dealers in the UK and Germany who'll ship to Ireland and I use them a lot for pedals, ss amps and even guitars. A tube amp is a little more sensitive to being thrown around in a truck so it would be a risk. It does appear to be everything I want in an amp so I'd be tempted to take a risk.

That price would put it about the same as the HRDlx over here. Tempting indeed!

Lev
May 16th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Man, the search for the perfect amp really is complicated. So many options all with plus points and minus points but I'm having trouble seeing beyond the Bugera V22 right now. For once living on this side of the Atlantic works in my favor, with the Bugera available from a German retailer at €259, with free shipping and a 3 year warranty. Yes that's €259!!! for an all tube loud, gigable combo.

To put that in context the new Fender HRD III is €800 and the Egnater Rebel 30 is €950. I don't want this amp search to be based purely on cost and I'm prepared to pay upto €1k for the right amp but with the money I could save on the Bugera deal I could buy 2 new guitars!! I don't understand how Bugera/Behringer can make a profit at that price, the parts alone must be worth more.... who am I to argue...

Tig
May 16th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Demoing the V22 was a big surprise. It honestly felt and sounded like a much more expensive amp. If I were to get an amp today, it would be in my top 2 or 3 choices.

Good luck choosing! It is nice to have such a luxury, even if it makes the final decision harder.

Blaze
May 16th, 2011, 03:37 PM
The Egnater Tweaker 40 is coming out in August ..Could be a good one ..

Lev
May 17th, 2011, 01:21 AM
Yeah thanks Blaze, it might be wise to wait a little while, along with the Tweaker 40 there's also the H&K Tubemeister combo and the Engl Gigmaster 30 to be released this summer.