PDA

View Full Version : Backing Tracks in A

oldguy
November 18th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Wondered if someone could use these for practice/instructional purposes. One is slower than the other, and they might be useful to help learn scales and such. Along with Dolphinstreet's lessons they could be useful and fun.
Oldguy

http://www.box.net/public/x8m0qlhxtm

http://www.box.net/public/6755cdh3g2

Here's another that sounds like somebody, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe an 80's hard rock band?

http://www.box.net/public/zvvqktvuyl

This one's kinda long, but has a nice synth and drum groove to it. Let's hear some of you Fretter's get some clips posted w/ these, I know you got the talent for it. :DR

http://www.box.net/public/7jsnkyhupr

Spudman
November 18th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Ok. I took the shuffle in A and added a rhythm guitar track and did some lead until about bar 30 something.

Here's what we'll try.

The next person that can get on it can take up where I left off and do the next verse and chorus. Someone else can do something after that. We'll be doing a little collaborating kind of like it's open mic night and whoever is on the stage gets a round to do their stuff.

The next person to lay down a part has to put up a link to their file or somehow make their version accessible so the next person can do their thing. The box.net seems to be a great place to store and collect your files for free. It's easy to use with a PLAY or DOWNLOAD option.

Here is my part. Let me know if you can't get the file.
http://www.box.net/public/xasly2maee#f3387650

SuperSwede
November 19th, 2006, 03:24 AM
Good idea spud.. Here is my take, and there is room for another in the end.
http://www.box.net/public/6oajkz43hn

oldguy
November 19th, 2006, 05:03 AM
Spuds, Swede...YOU GUYS ROCK! Thanks alot, this is what I hoped would happen with these BT's. Great playing and a good format to share with other fretters.
Robert, thanks again for the tip about the box.net. Seems to be working.:D
Glenn

zeusse
November 19th, 2006, 05:32 AM
Great jam you guys I hope you didn't mind I was at home and decided to give it a quick go and I left the last break for somebody else. I'm kinda rusty on my blues as you'll see

http://www.box.net/public/xjztsoql3d

if the levels aren't right I can repost

Spudman
November 19th, 2006, 06:46 AM
Great job Sewede and Zeusse. Awesome playing. I felt like I was on stage waiting for the waitress to bring another round for the band.

Hogfullofblues
November 19th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Whoo hoo! That was hands down, Katie bar the door, hang on, the best track I have listened to so far. 3 different tones and styles and you all play excellent. I felt like I was at the end of an all day concert when all the notables get together and jam that last song.

SuperSwede
November 19th, 2006, 10:04 AM
*clap* *clap* *clap* Nice playing Spud and Zeusse!

duhvoodooman
November 19th, 2006, 03:53 PM
.....and I left the last break for somebody else.
Well, Spuds, Swede and Zeusse have done all the heavy lifting, so I just stuck an end on it, 'cuz it needed one....

http://www.box.net/public/529q4bmmdm

Spudman
November 19th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Great job everybody.(insert clapping smiley) Now that we know how to do it we can jam more often and everyone with the ability to record can contribute. Awesome!

For those who didn't try anything yet on this...you can easily go back and download the same track at any stage in this process and add your own part to it.

I admit that I screwed up and didn't provide just the rhythm track that I added without the lead. Sorry. I think that would be crucial to giving everyone a chance to play. Next time we post a backing track and lay just a rhythm over it we should be sure to make just that track available as well so that a person can start playing from anywhere on the track. Deal?

Clap, clap, clap. Nice job gents. Beer is on Steve from Sun Valley.:D

Justaguyin_nc
November 19th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Great job everybody.(insert clapping smiley) Now that we know how to do it we can jam more often and everyone with the ability to record can contribute. Awesome!

Yeah what Spuds said!! This was an excellent listen... You guys rock (Flicking his bic in the air).... hope to hear more soon..

:R

zeusse
November 19th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Great stuff there Voodooman glad you had enough left to squeeze in some riffs...I got a tone of backers that are split up nicely to make 4 and 5 equal spots like that one I even got a couple that are 6 spottters...and if anybody is interested in a colab. project on something I'm always up for it doesn't matter who the artist or backer is. I've always enjoyed community jams it's great to hear all the different styles on tones...mind you I gotta get a blues tone organized

SuperSwede
November 20th, 2006, 12:58 AM
Great job everybody.(insert clapping smiley)

Yeah, we need a clapping smiley!

Tim
November 20th, 2006, 05:10 AM
Great playing guys! This one is going on my iPod for future listening. If this is a small example of what the Fret Net CD will sound like, I can wait for it to be completed.

The only trouble I am having with this compiling of several musicians on one song is ... how in the heck did you do it? I cannot figure it out. I am working with Audacity, but can not figure out how the three of you guys did what you did.

duhvoodooman
November 20th, 2006, 05:34 AM
The only trouble I am having with this compiling of several musicians on one song is ... how in the heck did you do it? I cannot figure it out. I am working with Audacity, but can not figure out how the three of you guys did what you did.
Easy, really. After Oldguy recorded the backing track and uploaded it, each of us (I assume!) just did the following:

Download the MP3
Import into recording software
Dub in the new part
Export to MP3
Upload to Box.net
Repeat as needed

SuperSwede
November 20th, 2006, 05:47 AM
Yes its very easy. I import the mp3 file as a stereo track, and then add another stereo track for the guitar that merges with the first when exported as AIFF. After that I convert it to MP3 (usually 160kb/s)

Tim
November 20th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Well I thank you Gents for the information. It seems easy and I will attempt to give this a try.

sunvalleylaw
November 21st, 2006, 08:57 AM

For those who didn't try anything yet on this...you can easily go back and download the same track at any stage in this process and add your own part to it.

I admit that I screwed up and didn't provide just the rhythm track that I added without the lead. Sorry. I think that would be crucial to giving everyone a chance to play. Next time we post a backing track and lay just a rhythm over it we should be sure to make just that track available as well so that a person can start playing from anywhere on the track. Deal?

Clap, clap, clap. Nice job gents. Beer is on Steve from Sun Valley.:D

LOL!! If you guys come over to play, I'll buy at least the first pitcher! Seriously, I was listening on the way up to work to the project after DVM added in, and I couldn't stop re-playing the song. Could each contributor please share the equipment used and settings involved? It just rocked! I am now committed to playing thousands of scales so I can get comfortable enough to play some of those licks. Thanks guys, the beers on me. Hope you like it like I like my coffee, strong and dark! ;)

sunvalleylaw
November 21st, 2006, 08:58 AM
LOL!! If you guys come over to play,(on guitars OR up on the hill) I'll buy at least the first pitcher! Seriously, I was listening on the way up to work to the project after DVM added in, and I couldn't stop re-playing the song. Could each contributor please share the equipment used and settings involved? It just rocked! I am now committed to playing thousands of scales so I can get comfortable enough to play some of those licks. Thanks guys, the beers on me. Hope you like it like I like my coffee, strong and dark! ;)

P.S. I am serious. If someone comes in to town on vacation or whatever, I will buy.:DR

aeolian
November 21st, 2006, 09:56 AM
Man, what a jam session! I nominate this for FretNet CD track number 1.

This internet thing is pretty cool, ain't it?

aeolian

zeusse
November 21st, 2006, 10:48 AM
P.S. I am serious. If someone comes in to town on vacation or whatever, I will buy.:DR
Its a long haul for me out your way I use travel through Idaho quite a bit years ago on my way to Vancouver. I will take you up on the offer if I ever make it out the way again. For recording I'm using a Digitech GNX4 usb. to the pc and Pro Tracks Plus for the software thats pretty much it, once in awhile I'll mic my Fender Twin Reverb through the GNX. Its pretty simple really.

sunvalleylaw
November 21st, 2006, 10:50 AM
Its a long haul for me out your way I use travel through Idaho quite a bit years ago on my way to Vancouver. I will take you up on the offer if I ever make it out the way again. For recording I'm using a Digitech GNX4 usb. to the pc and Pro Tracks Plus for the software thats pretty much it, once in awhile I'll mic my Fender Twin Reverb through the GNX. Its pretty simple really.

Thanks Zeusse, and you are welcome any time to take me up on my offer. BTW, which guitar were you working on the track?

SuperSwede
November 21st, 2006, 11:03 AM
Could each contributor please share the equipment used and settings involved? It just rocked! I am now committed to playing thousands of scales so I can get comfortable enough to play some of those licks. Thanks guys, the beers on me. Hope you like it like I like my coffee, strong and dark! ;)

Sounds like we have a similar taste in coffee, I like to drink espresso....in a mug :D

Gear on this song: Schecter C1 Elite > Marshall GV2 > Tonelab > iMac.
I dont remember the settings, I think it was a a clean twin patch with the guvnor set at 1/4 gain. Sorry.

duhvoodooman
November 21st, 2006, 11:42 AM
Could each contributor please share the equipment used and settings involved?
DVM's Record-for-Cheap Set-up:

Behringer XM8500 mic
Sound card in my PC
Audacity recording/editing software (free!)

Actually, I didn't even mic the amp, as I usually do. My wife was dozing on the family room couch Sunday afternoon, and I didn't want to disturb her. So instead, I recorded by running the headphone output of my AD30VT (which unfortunately is pre-tube/power stage) into the Line In jack on my sound card. I don't like what that does tonally, because it really scoops out the bottom and accentuates the highs. But since the backing track already had a "bottom", I didn't think it sounded that bad.

As far as the guitar & amp go, it was my Strat Plus played with the bridge & middle p'ups in series (one of the "Strat Lovers" wiring mods I did a while back), using the AC30TB model on my Vox AD30VT amp, with quite a bit of reverb, and juiced up with my ToneBone and Bad Monkey OD pedals in combination.

zeusse
November 21st, 2006, 03:16 PM
Thanks Zeusse, and you are welcome any time to take me up on my offer. BTW, which guitar were you working on the track?

I used my customized Ibanez Roadstar 2 not excactly a blues guitar I probably should use my Strat or LP for the blues stuff. I have active pickups in the Ibanez so they are a bit too raunchy for the blues. I'll have things sorted out better for the next bit of blues I do

Spudman
November 21st, 2006, 04:30 PM
Ibanez SA series with humbuckers>Bad Monkey>Vamp2 on a fairly clean patch>Cubase. Oh, and I filtered everything through a piece of toast. That's my secret.

Moshe
November 23rd, 2006, 07:21 PM
An ending. I am still new, but not fragile so any critisism will be taken constructively.

My computer lagged during the first five chord for some reason so that ended up sounding a little awkward.

http://www.box.net/public/d8611i31c5

Spudman
November 23rd, 2006, 07:45 PM
Good job Moshe. Awesome sounding guitar too. A fine ending to our FIRST thefret.net collaboration tune.:DR

tremoloman
November 23rd, 2006, 09:16 PM
I listened to all the additions guys... this is FREAKIN' awesome man! All it took to do this was a mic, a soundcard, and Audacity? Crap... whay did I blow $1400 on a recorder for? I gotta give this a try!

kerc
November 23rd, 2006, 10:40 PM
My take on the first backing track...One and only one take. First Act ME501 through Johnson J-Station.

http://cyberjammin.com/uploads/Cyberjams/kerc_blues_a_backtrack.mp3

zeusse
November 24th, 2006, 02:35 PM
I listened to all the additions guys... this is FREAKIN' awesome man! All it took to do this was a mic, a soundcard, and Audacity? Crap... whay did I blow $1400 on a recorder for? I gotta give this a try!

Don't feel bad dude my buddy has a real recording studio that becomes more vacant everyday. He came over and looked at my gear and fell over..(he thought I was cheating on him at another studio) Mind you he actually knows what he's doing but I'm catching up..hehe

And by the way great job kerc and moshe

Moshe
November 24th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Thanks zeusse and spud. This is fun!:DR Well Im learning anyway..

Well done

duhvoodooman
kerc
SS
spudman

Thanks for posting these backing tracks

SuperSwede
November 25th, 2006, 05:40 AM
Good job Moshe & Kerc!

jasongins
March 4th, 2007, 07:55 PM
OG -

Thanks for posting all of these backing tracks. Regarding the original backing tracks posted in this thread, could you let me know what key the 4th one is in (the long synth/drum groove)? I have been working on the minor pentatonic scale in A with my teacher, but it doesn't seem to fit that track. I'd like to play along with it, but I don't really know where on the neck it is "safe" to play it. Thanks!

marnold
March 4th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Thanks for posting all of these backing tracks. Regarding the original backing tracks posted in this thread, could you let me know what key the 4th one is in (the long synth/drum groove)? I have been working on the minor pentatonic scale in A with my teacher, but it doesn't seem to fit that track. I'd like to play along with it, but I don't really know where on the neck it is "safe" to play it. Thanks!
I'm not the old guy, but it is in A. It a chord progression based on an A major pentatonic scale, so it sounds better with the major pentatonic than the minor. A sneaky way to "convert" your A minor forms to A major is to shift them down three frets (aka a step and a half). Then you are actually playing in F# minor, BUT F# is the relative minor of A which means that when you play F# minor you are also playing A major. Just remember to stick around the A notes instead of the F#s. That way it will sound "right" when you play it. The theory is a bit deep, but it's really as simple as that.

jasongins
March 4th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Thanks for putting me on the right track, marnold. I'll be working on it!

sunvalleylaw
January 1st, 2008, 05:36 PM
I am re-starting this one, an old favorite of mine Oldguy laid out here. I don't care if I sound crappy, I am just going to play on some of these things. So here it is, clams and all. :D Lots of time left on it to make it sound better! Please hop in!

http://www.box.net/shared/hmr549bk8o

oldguy
January 1st, 2008, 05:40 PM
I am re-starting this one, an old favorite of mine Oldguy laid out here. I don't care if I sound crappy, I am just going to play on some of these things. So here it is, clams and all. :D Lots of time left on it to make it sound better! Please hop in!

:AOK: :AOK:
Another nice thing is, by posting here on TheFret, you can come back and check on your progress as time goes by......that's what I've done.... nothing to report yet.:confused:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Justaguyin_nc
January 1st, 2008, 07:18 PM

Way to go Sun...enjoyed hearing you!

I'll hop in withcha!!

JV_Guitar to toneport gx...

http://www.box.net/shared/q1ogvkx4w4

oldguy
January 1st, 2008, 07:37 PM
Nice job, both you guys!:AOK:
Reminds me of the old juke joint days, Strats and Teles onstage, mebbe a pint bottle stuck in a back overall pocket.... yes, I'm old enough I've seen that.....
not that long ago, come to think of it.:D

jasongins
January 1st, 2008, 09:55 PM
Here's another relative beginner in the mix. I pickup just after Justa. Fender MIM Standard Strat Limited Edition w/Direct Mount Pickups, switch position 1, tone 10, volume 9, Ableton Live Lite with NI Guitar Combos "Twang" plugin (some reverb, some tube screamer - see screenshot). I did a short bit, left room for the next player.

http://www.box.net/shared/cwki6bw4cc

Screenshot (http://www.box.net/shared/cxcazpyosg)

sunvalleylaw
January 1st, 2008, 09:57 PM
Cool! Thanks for hoppin' on in guys! More please! Some of our players here don't like to play before 9 or 10 I think.

jasongins
January 1st, 2008, 10:01 PM
It's 11:00 here in Philly. For whatever reason, this is about the time I get inspired to record something. Maybe I need the two hours to decompress after my wife and 3 year old go to bed before I can relax and play.

SuperSwede
January 2nd, 2008, 08:45 AM
Good job SunvalleySteve, Justa & Jasongins ! :)