PDA

View Full Version : Free lesson - John Scofield!

Robert
May 6th, 2011, 01:43 PM
John Scofield is one of my big heroes. He is one of the best guitar players on the planet, don't you ever forget that. He's not that mainstream though, so you may not have heard of him. He plays jazz, funk-jazz, funk-blues, and the like. I view him as a jazz musician with a blues guitar influence. He is, simply put, a Master at what he does.

Here's a lick I transcribed from him. Can you learn that one? Post your version and let's hear you play it! :dude

It works over any kind of minor chord, but a bluesy 7 chord should work fine too. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1ImFke6MqU

Tig
May 6th, 2011, 04:00 PM
A very nice, well made lesson, Robert. I'll have to work on it when I have more time.

Robert
May 7th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Thanks Tig, hope you get something out of it.

I notice I get less feedback on my lessons than I used to get. A bit surprising to me, since my lessons both look much better nowadays, and they usually have better content too. Oh well.

Lev
May 7th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Great lesson Robert, I enjoyed learning that lick. I love the string skip at the intro. Licks like this really force me to think outside of the pentatonic boxes that I sometimes get trapped in!

Tig
May 7th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Thanks Tig, hope you get something out of it.

I notice I get less feedback on my lessons than I used to get. A bit surprising to me, since my lessons both look much better nowadays, and they usually have better content too. Oh well.

During the weekends, I have little time to jump into a lesson completely due to long night shifts.

It certainly has nothing to do with your presentation or production. Everything is clear and easy to follow, making them quite effective. Also, sometimes we don't know right away when a new one is posted so you'll see more feedback a few days later.

I remember Mark Wein did something a few weeks ago and suddenly gained more attention and audience from the web. I'm not sure what he did, so you may want to ask him.