PDA

View Full Version : Man in Motion versus Dustbowl; thoughts?

FrankenFretter
May 9th, 2011, 02:03 PM
I've not listened to all of each, but from what I've heard so far, I'm not in love with Dustbowl. Bonamassa will always be one of the greats, but the composition and themes on the songs I've heard so far don't impress me. Warren, on the other hand, sounds great. It's definitely different than the ABB and Gov't Mule stuff, and so far it seems a bit on the mellow side. Funkier, to be sure. I like this a lot better than the new Bonamassa stuff so far.

What about you? If you've heard both, what do you think? I don't really think it's an apples to oranges comparison, although they are both very different players. Maybe I'm wrong, what say you?

warren0728
May 9th, 2011, 03:14 PM
i have to agree...i have listened to dust bowl several times and it's just not growing on me and i'm a bonamassa fan....seen him live and such....

as for man in motion....it is totally different from other warren haynes projects but after one complete listen i'm digging it!

you can download the entire man in motion album today on amazon for $3.99!!

http://www.amazon.com/Man-in-Motion/dp/B004YKL82G/?tag=concordreco0c-20

Tig
May 9th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Man In Motion was just delivered, so I'll have to listen right away. I'll update later.
By pre-ordering, I got another CD, Live From The Ashville Civic Center (12.11.10), and a T-shirt with print on both sides.

NWBasser
May 9th, 2011, 05:02 PM
I'll have to check out Dustbowl when I come down to see you Sean.

It would be hard for me to imagine it coming anywhere near what I've heard so far from Man in Motion though.

msteeln
May 9th, 2011, 08:02 PM
As a frustrated Haynes fan I'm waiting to hear MIM, the reviews are outstanding.
Watch Eric's face as Warren tears it up starting @ 2:08 on this roaring Layla classic

rfNHvs_xFUc

marnold
May 9th, 2011, 09:38 PM
I've listened to Dust Bowl several times and like it, the first three tracks in particular. Just bought Man in Motion via Amazon and will listen tomorrow. I don't know if there's much point in comparing the two since they are very different guys.

msteeln
May 11th, 2011, 11:51 AM
An old 2 pt. int. with Warren, shortly after Woody's death, can be found here http://www.wholenote.com/

warren0728
May 11th, 2011, 12:25 PM
I don't know if there's much point in comparing the two since they are very different guys.

i actually was comparing older bonamassa to his current release and warren haynes older stuff compared to his new release....

i really wanted to love dust bowl but it just didn't do it for me...now joe live was incredible and probably him at his best!

marnold
May 12th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Well, I finally had a chance to finish listening to Man in Motion. It's definitely different--70s rhythm and blues, maybe? It's not really my cup of tea even though his playing is as good as ever. Certainly can't beat it for $4. I'll keep it for a change-of-pace album, but I'm thinking that Dust Bowl will probably get much more play from me. I'll give it a few more listens, since I don't think that once-through is particularly fair. All in all, I'd probably rather listen to Gov't Mule's Deja Voodoo than Man in Motion. Slackjaw Jezebel is one of my favorite songs.

FrankenFretter
May 12th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Well, I finally had a chance to finish listening to Man in Motion. It's definitely different--70s rhythm and blues, maybe? It's not really my cup of tea even though his playing is as good as ever. Certainly can't beat it for $4. I'll keep it for a change-of-pace album, but I'm thinking that Dust Bowl will probably get much more play from me. I'll give it a few more listens, since I don't think that once-through is particularly fair. All in all, I'd probably rather listen to Gov't Mule's Deja Voodoo than Man in Motion. Slackjaw Jezebel is one of my favorite songs.

It does seem like there should be more guitar on MIM. After all, it is Warren...

Tig
May 12th, 2011, 09:55 PM
In an interview he mentioned that he wanted more of an authentic R&B/soul sound, so he restrained from his more flashy solos.
Some of the songs have fairly long outro solos, and all of the guitar work is tastefully done to match the music without losing his personal touch.

I still need a few more listens...

Tig
June 3rd, 2011, 01:04 PM
Plenty of listens, and it feels good.

Check out this interview with Warren Haynes.
There are some fine riffs you can learn and borrow during the second half of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAZTOC0FEQ8

NWBasser
June 3rd, 2011, 01:20 PM
Now that I have MIM and have listened to it a bit, I have to say I'm not disappointed in the least. A great album for me!

I love how Warren integrates his playing with the rhythm section.