PDA

View Full Version : MXR "Custom BadAss" '78 Distortion

sunvalleylaw
May 9th, 2011, 11:23 PM
you can enter to win one here. Also can watch a vid demo and read a bit about it.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/contest/custom-badass-distortion-contest?utm_source=Subscribers&utm_campaign=bd1ae3b905-May_Newsletter5_9_2011&utm_medium=email

I don't know, sounds a lot like a RAT clone to me, and I have the best one of those made already. The 1978 moniker and indication it was built on an old school classic design kind of makes it seem like it might be MXR's version of a Rat too. Like I said, my Rabid Rodent can already well cover this territory. But if I win, Derek gets a new pedal. Whadaya you guys think about this thing?

Perfect Stranger
May 10th, 2011, 01:56 PM
I bought one and I slap dab love it. Got rid of my Satchurator and my Proco Solo. Has exactly the sound I was wanting.....this week.

duhvoodooman
May 10th, 2011, 02:07 PM
I don't know, sounds a lot like a RAT clone to me, and I have the best one of those made already. The 1978 moniker and indication it was built on an old school classic design kind of makes it seem like it might be MXR's version of a Rat too. Like I said, my Rabid Rodent can already well cover this territory. But if I win, Derek gets a new pedal. Whadaya you guys think about this thing?Yeah, you nailed it, Steve. It's a Rat clone with a button switch to go back and forth between standard (silicon diode) and Turbo Rat (LED) clipping modes. They may have played with the EQ stage a bit or some of the cap & resistor ratings to tweak the tone, but it sure sounds like a Rat to me....not that that's a bad thing! ProCo introduced the original Rat in 1978, so that's pretty clearly where the name is coming from.

And, yes, you do have the best one of those made.... :AOK :dude

sunvalleylaw
May 10th, 2011, 02:12 PM
And, yes, you do have the best one of those made.... :AOK :dude

Yes I do. :beavisnbutthead: Since I love the LED distortion mode on the Rodent, and liked it in the vid, that makes sense too. I am enjoying your other settings too though. And of course it has those sweet OD settings too!

Perfect Stranger, I am glad you like yours, especially since DVM is not making pedals at the moment. It (the MXR) sounds like a good pedal.

duhvoodooman
May 10th, 2011, 03:11 PM
....especially since DVM is not making pedals at the moment. Ummm, not quite accurate. I'm still building pedals from my backlog (AAMOF, I built two Rodents over the weekend) but have not been formally accepting new orders for after June. HOWEVER (breaking new flash!), I'm in the process of finalizing an arrangement with an experienced electronics guy to take over the actual DVM pedal construction while I would continue to handle the order taking/customer service, parts procurement, tech. support, design tweaks, etc. So don't count DVM pedals out quite yet....

tunghaichuan
May 10th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Ummm, not quite accurate. I'm still building pedals from my backlog (AAMOF, I built two Rodents over the weekend) but have not been formally accepting new orders for after June. HOWEVER (breaking new flash!), I'm in the process of finalizing an arrangement with an experienced electronics guy to take over the actual DVM pedal construction while I would continue to handle the order taking/customer sevice, parts procurement, tech. support, design tweaks, etc. So don't count DVM pedals out quite yet....

Awesome news. :dude :AOK

sunvalleylaw
May 10th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Ok, great! Glad to clear up that misconception that I apparently had, and to provide an opp for you to spread the new news!