PDA

View Full Version : Krash, how's the recovery going?

tjcurtin1
May 10th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Hey Brian,

Hope you don't mind the public query, but I realized I hadn't seen any update of late on your recovery. Hope all is going well!

Ted

Brian Krashpad
May 11th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Thanks Ted, no prob with the public question!

Basically, so far, so good. Chemo and zap treatments ended at the end of the first week in Feb. Had my first post-treatment gig on March 25, which was also my daughter's first rock band gig ever, she did great!

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/200104_10150133054948879_512618878_6535348_3596868 _n.jpg

The next night after that I had a bit of a setback, as I mis-timed my pain meds wean and went through some withdrawal. But I've been pain-meds (oxycontin and fentanyl) free ever since, so it was worth it!

Have been back to both my chemo doc and radiation oncologist, and in addition to being cancer free according to the last scan, my blood work numbers are improving. I'm pretty skinny, but frankly I was way overweight before all this started. I need to start working out and even have a temp membership at a local club (because I'm having physical therapy at an affiliated place), but have had a difficult time making time to go.

The physical therapy I'm doing is for my neck, to free up the scar tissue and hopefully reduce the edema (bloat) appearance of my neck. Just started that last week and have my first full session this afternoon. I also have a sleeping strap to go under my chin to help get rid of the edema, but it's on order, haven't actually rec'd it yet.

I may end up going to a speech pathologist as well for my voice/larynx to try to keep any effects on that minimal. I can sing now, but it's more difficult and I always have the feeling that I need to clear my throat.

Had 2 shows in April with different bands, first a benefit with my side hippie band (in this pic you can see the edema on my neck, under my chin):

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/230335_10150184009158879_512618878_6868469_5953869 _n.jpg

Our church praise band, First Things First, played on our downtown plaza on the 16th:

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/221873_166831943374324_120443414679844_396760_6883 875_n.jpg

I have a gig this Saturday with yet a different band, the Hotheads, that plays roots rock. And tomorrow I turn 53. Iirc I'll be doing the physical therapy for the neck for at least a month. According to the docs, the first 2 years after completing treatment are critical to watch for recurrence. If it don't come back during that time, I should be in the clear totally.

sunvalleylaw
May 11th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Great to hear! That edema in the one pic looks just like lots of folks' double chins anyway, and the slimmed down version of you looks good on stage! Also great that the Hotheads are active. I really like that group! This whole Great Recession thing should have provided some fodder for some new material for Hoyt. He does most of the writing, right?

Brian Krashpad
May 11th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Thanks. Yes Steve, Hoyt's the writer for Hotheads. He's mentioned doing a countryish song I wrote for Crash Pad, called "Don't Try This At Home," but we've never got round to doing it with the Hotheads. And I wrote a punk/blues rave-up song called "Hothead" as well, though I don't know if he's ever heard it. Oddly, "Hothead" is in the current Crash Pad setlist, though it was sort of written with the Hotheads in mind. I've found that simple/direct music can translate from one genre to another fairly easily, but the Hotheads is Hoyt's baby.

After having gigged with the Hotheads this Saturday, the only one of my bands I will not have played in post-treatment will be Crash Pad, so I need to set up a show. That will be the most challenging though, because I'm the lead "singer" in that'un.

Brian Krashpad
May 11th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Just picked up my Jaw Bra!

http://www.drugsupplystore.com/catalog/epsteinfacio.jpg

Oops, I mean the "Epstein facioplasty support." Dunno who Epstein is, probably a facelift surgeon, since that's what these are mainly used for. I promise a pic of me in mine within the next week or so. Too busy this very second.

marnold
May 11th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Just picked up my Jaw Bra!

http://www.drugsupplystore.com/catalog/epsteinfacio.jpg

Oops, I mean the "Epstein facioplasty support." Dunno who Epstein is, probably a facelift surgeon, since that's what these are mainly used for. I promise a pic of me in mine within the next week or so. Too busy this very second.

Dear Brian's doctor,

Brian doesn't need this device.

Signed,
Epstein's mother

Sorry for the Welcome Back, Kotter reference. Apparently the device requires you to unbutton your shirt too, judging from that picture.

tjcurtin1
May 11th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Great news, Brian - thanks for the update! We're all glad to hear that things are going well. I'm kind of amazed, but it's great that you are getting out to play so much in the middle of all that, but it's probably just the thing to bolster the positive attitude. Especially cool that the first gig was also your daughter's first appearance - that must have felt great!

Ted

Brian Krashpad
May 11th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Dear Brian's doctor,

Brian doesn't need this device.

Signed,
Epstein's mother

Sorry for the Welcome Back, Kotter reference. Apparently the device requires you to unbutton your shirt too, judging from that picture.

Haha, how did I miss that unbuttoned shirt! You ol' spotty dawg!

But too late, Epstein's Mom! I got mine already!

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/221605_10150190204933879_512618878_6918469_5396759 _n.jpg

Brian Krashpad
May 11th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Great news, Brian - thanks for the update! We're all glad to hear that things are going well. I'm kind of amazed, but it's great that you are getting out to play so much in the middle of all that, but it's probably just the thing to bolster the positive attitude. Especially cool that the first gig was also your daughter's first appearance - that must have felt great!

Ted

Thanks Ted. Music has always been a refuge. It has been really stressful at Casa Krashpad because in addition to my sitch, my wife's teaching position got axed this year (we are fighting for the program, and the decision may be reversed), and my son is having probs in school. So I need to play guitar (and bass and mandolin) in my bands and get some respite.

Fortunately my wife understands.

And my daughter kicked butt at that show, she did better than I did! I was having all sorts of tech probs and nothing threw her. It was great being onstage with her.

sunvalleylaw
May 11th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Haha, how did I miss that unbuttoned shirt! You ol' spotty dawg!

But too late, Epstein's Mom! I got mine already!

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/221605_10150190204933879_512618878_6918469_5396759 _n.jpg

Hmm, I think you need the Bro version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfONNfAjyrc

But Spud calls it the Manssiere. :AOK

I am glad you are continuing to improve and have such a great sense of humour!

mrmudcat
May 11th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Krash i'm glad/hope you are feeling better brother!!!........peace & luv fo-sho....mud:socool

piebaldpython
May 11th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Great to hear you're doing good Krash. That Neck Bra looks a whole lot better on you than my C-PAP mask (for sleep apnea) looks on me. Trust me on that! lol But, I need it to be at something approaching my best and yeah, I could stand to lose a ton of weight too.....30-50 lbs would be ideal. Of course, I don't want to lose it YOUR way.

Scary stuff and you handled your situation with grace, dignity and a smidge of fun. You rock dude!

Brian Krashpad
May 11th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Haha, the Man-ssier! Classic, Steve.

Thanks Mud. Strivin' for survivin'!

A little sore after phys therapy today. I told my wife if she dies, I'm marrying the massage therapist!

;)

Brian Krashpad
May 11th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Thanks, piebaldpython! We must've been posting at the same time. You're right, the cancer/narcotics/chemo/radiation diet is very effective but kinda a *****, haha. We all gotta do what we gotta do. Every day above ground is a good day.

Katastrophe
May 11th, 2011, 09:59 PM
LOL, Marnold!

Man, Brian, I continue to be amazed at your positive attitude and sense of humor while you go through all this. You look great!

Brian Krashpad
May 11th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Thanks Kat. We can laugh or cry, I choose to laugh. Sh*t's funny!

Tig
May 12th, 2011, 07:35 AM
A little sore after phys therapy today. I told my wife if she dies, I'm marrying the massage therapist!
;)

Oh, no you di-int!
http://www.vh1.com/sitewide/promoimages/artists/c/cee_lo/posted/ceelo_gifs/no/240x180.gif

A few months from now, you'll be able to look back and remember how difficult it all was...

Commodore 64
May 12th, 2011, 01:36 PM
You look great man. Keep on rockin'.

Also, please post pics of the massage therapist.

Brian Krashpad
May 12th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Also, please post pics of the massage therapist.

Haha, it's not what she looks like, it's those talented hands. :socool

MAXIFUNK
May 17th, 2011, 12:20 PM
I am very happy to hear you are doing well and doing what you love to do PLAY LIVE MUSIC.
CHEERS and prays for no relapse keep fighting the good fight!!! :):thumbsup

Brian Krashpad
May 17th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Thanks Maxi, I'll take all the prayers and mojo I can get!

For those who don't follow the Weekend Thread, good times were had @ the Laboratory (local venue) this past Saturday night with my side band Hoyt and the HotHeads. Of the other 3 acts, sat in with one (opener) on guitar for a whole set, sat in with another (closer) for a couple songs on bass, and was asked to join the third as lead guitarist (which, given the other bands I'm already in, I clearly cannot do). So, I count that a good night, haha!

Here's some shots of the HotHeads (side roots rock band) with me on bass. No shots of me playing guitar (played last couple songs of HotHeads' set on guitar, plus sat in with the opener, a solo act).

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/224751_10150195799013879_512618878_6945996_6718385 _n.jpg

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/227856_10150195799203879_512618878_6945997_3045983 _n.jpg

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/230626_10150195799758879_512618878_6946001_8212878 _n.jpg

Good shot of edema and still visible neck radiation burn (sigh), at least the scar is hard to spot:

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/231096_10150195799383879_512618878_6945998_7272915 _n.jpg

Had Pedagogy (side keyboard rock band with players from my church, with my daughter on bass), followed by Crash Pad ("main" punk band), practice Sunday night. Only band I haven't gigged with since the treatments is Crash Pad, I wanted to wait until my voice was OK. Wasn't perfect, but seemed to get through the practice without too many problems, so now I need to start looking around to book something!

This coming Saturday will be a big party one of my college buddies is throwing, in part a belated celebration of me finishing chemo and radiation. There should be plenty of music at that, though I'm not looking forward to moving all my gear up there for the evening. Check the Weekend Thread for pics!

Robert
May 17th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Great to hear, Brian! I hope I'm right when I say - Rock'n Roll and treatment over - life is good! :)

Brian Krashpad
May 17th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Thanks Robert! The two main treatments-- chemo and radiation, are over. Now I'm in physical therapy to get some strength back and to loosen the scar tissue in my neck from the surgery and radiation, and hopefully reduce the edema (swelling) on my neck. I may end up also doing speech therapy also, to work on keeping my throat airway open and to make sure my larynx has room to work properly.

player
May 17th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Haha, it's not what she looks like, it's those talented hands. :socoolman Brian I didn't even know your were sick.you never let on which can be good lol as to the quote I don't even want to 'touch'' that one.
keep on keeping on Bro

Brian Krashpad
May 17th, 2011, 06:00 PM
man Brian I didn't even know your were sick.you never let on which can be good lol as to the quote I don't even want to 'touch'' that one.
keep on keeping on Bro

Haha, thanks! "Strivin' for survivin'!"

Frankly I was/am a little conflicted about it all. I didn't want to make a big deal out of it and somehow redefine myself as BK, Cancer Survivor. At the same time, I didn't want to hide it either. It was and is a part of my life, and I'll be dealing (hopefully in smaller and smaller increments) with it forever. So I've just tried to be truthful about it and find some humor in it. (C'mon, a jaw bra is effin' FUNNY!) If someone who gets a "Big C" diagnosis should have seen me dealing with it in a public way here or on facebook or somewhere else, and that person ends up being a little less scared out of their wits about it, then it will have been well worth sharing.

I write a music column for a magazine, and my editor is an old college buddy. He also writes his own column, basically a personal thoughts piece. His sister recently was diagnosed with cancer, so apparently in the next issue he is going to ruminate about cancer and life and death/health issues, including some reference to me (he asked my permission to mention me). Again, I was a little conflicted about this, as my own self-image is an equal split between aging local punk rocker/musician on the one hand, and church-goin' family man on the other. With "lawyer" squeezed in there somewhere. Guess I'll hafta make some additional room for the story of Rutherford.*

Sigh.

*"Rutherford" was what I called the lump on my neck before my surgery.

sunvalleylaw
May 17th, 2011, 06:39 PM
I think your sharing has been great already. Your good humor and keep on rockin'/punk'n attitude I sure has been helpful to many already. This amigo appreciates it as I deal with my Dad's situation. But it is personal also, and I can understand your conflict about how far you wanted/want to take that. I believe you should feel free to draw your boundaries in accordance with what you want, after you check in with yourself about where you want that line to be.

Brian Krashpad
May 17th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Thanks Steve.

Oh and btw, I've probably mentioned this in prior threads, but it doesn't look like I have in this one. If anyone is dealing with cancer issues, whether as a patient or caregiver or friend, I highly recommend the American Cancer Society's "Cancer Survivor Network," which has specialized forums for all the different sub-types of cancer. For example, I post in "Head and Neck Cancer." In fact my prior above post about being public versus private I turned into a post over there to see what others thought.

Link:
http://csn.cancer.org/csnhome

mrmudcat
May 18th, 2011, 12:06 AM
I know keeping public/private health issues and or ones survival effects many here.Your approach krash is your choice alone brother,but I also know it gives others courage/hope in ones own struggles if they choose to deal with issues privately. Thank you and peace & luv fo-sho!!!

:digit:goodjob

MUD

Pickngrin
May 18th, 2011, 06:56 AM
I'm coming to this thread a bit late, but kudos to you for your positive attitude and your perseverance. Your gig pictures make me wish I was still in Hogtown (went to UF and left in '94). Rock on, Brian.

PnG

Brian Krashpad
May 19th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Thanks Mud and PnG! Went to physical therapy/massage yesterday and my physio wants me to wear that silly compression sleeve 24/7 for 3 days! Ugh, been wearing it since last night. I'll take it off Saturday afternoon as I'm going to a party at a friend's and at least part of the reason for the party is my having finished up chemo and radiation. Although that occurred months ago, most people actually get sicker for quite awhile after those stop, and I did, and then when I was beginning to feel better I did the pain meds withdrawal, so we're only now finally getting round to a proper celebration.

Except for the fact that I have to hump the whole PA, and backline (except drums) up to the party, it should be a lot of fun.

:dude

NWBasser
May 19th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Hey Brian, it's so nice to hear that you're on the upswing. With so many people around us affected by cancer, it's really great to hear the winning stories like yours.

BTW - That's a sweet T-bird!!!

Is it yours?

Brian Krashpad
May 19th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Hey Brian, it's so nice to hear that you're on the upswing. With so many people around us affected by cancer, it's really great to hear the winning stories like yours.

BTW - That's a sweet T-bird!!!

Is it yours?

Thanks! Yes, the T-bird is my most recent bass (iirc!). Got it for one Benjamin, even, on local Craigslist.

Brian Krashpad
May 20th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Hai kids. Kinda exhausted. Woke up every 2 hours last night from extreme dry mouth, which I hadn't experienced before. Throat would get all scratchy and I'd have to cough, drink some water and try to go back to sleep.

On the other hand, looks like the jaw bra's actually working. Took it off to go to the doc this a.m. & there was a big ol lump of fluid back on my neck behind my ear, that'd been pushed out of my jaw by the sleeve.

Doc said everything looked good. In fact, he said "For your diagnosis and treatment, your condition at this point would be in the top 10%."

Getting a referral to a speech pathologist to ensure no larynx/swallowing probs. Doc didn't see anything himself, but I'd rather be safe than sorry, what with being a "singer" (haha!) and all. Also, got a charge on my bill from that office resolved. Sometime back around when I got sick (neck got infected and I ended up in the hospital for a few days) I missed an appointment with this doc (ENT/surgeon) and completely blanked on it. Between the chemo affecting my memory and the pain meds I was on 24/7, I'm surprised I didn't miss more, frankly. Anyhow, I recently got a "no show" bill for FIFTY BUCKS!

So I go check in at this doc office, and they say, "check in with payment and take care of your co-pay." So I go round the corner and explain that I haven't been in a co-pay sitch since early this year, I'd already paid the full out-of pocket and was now covered 100%. They sorta frown for a sec and then say, "OK we'll just bill your insurer." "But you do have a balance due of $50." I said, I'd like to talk that over with my doctor and then pay it, if he says to. THAT pissed them off. "Oh, that's our POLICY, your doctor doesn't have anything to do with that."

Meanwhile my doc had been walking down the hallway behind them, unbeknownst to any of us. He sticks his head round the corner and says "He doesn't need to pay that charge."

And that was that.

After the appointment, when I was scheduling my next visit, they claimed that there had been a note in their file to waive the fee, but I think they were just trying to save face. My doc rules!

street music
May 21st, 2011, 10:58 AM
Krash, That is what goes on in a lot of Doctor offices, it a rip to be charged when you are too sick to make it there.Glad your Doctor made it right!