PDA

View Full Version : Wheeee!

Spudman
May 11th, 2011, 09:28 PM
We finally got a break in the weather so I went for a group ride with the guys. I did this solo. If I would have had a wheel to jump off of I might have made it to 55 mph. Maybe next time.
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Cycling/IMGP2111.jpg

progrmr
May 12th, 2011, 04:49 AM
THAT's some serious ridin' !!

Tig
May 12th, 2011, 07:24 AM
Yaaa-hooo! Welcome back to riding.

That's my all time bike speed record for uphill.
OK, just kidding! I did max in the mid-50's once, but that was in 1989 descending down a long, steep hill in Central Texas. I heard someone was life-flighted out later on the same hill, which got me thinking about the potential price for failure.

Spudman
May 12th, 2011, 08:02 AM
that's my all time bike speed record for uphill.

DUDE! :master

http://www.markmallett.com/blog/wp-images/prostrate.jpg

Ch0jin
May 15th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Wow that's impressive! I used to ride a MTB to and from work for a year or so and I would never see close to that. I felt like I was superman when I overtook cars who were stuck doing 40KPH (24MPH) :)

The one thing about the picture that made me chuckle is the "AT" symbol. Most times I see that it means Automatic Transmission, so I had a little vision of you riding along with some kind of 27 speed auto

otaypanky
May 15th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Spudman, you wouldn't be much more than a pile of tater tots if something bad happened at that kind of speed.

'Bet it was some kind of rush though, huh? :AOK

Spudman
May 15th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Spudman, you wouldn't be much more than a pile of tater tots if something bad happened at that kind of speed.

'Bet it was some kind of rush though, huh? :AOK

I'd be mashed taters and burger if I launched at that speed. I probably wouldn't survive...so I try not to think about it. And yes, it's a huge rush. Although, 60 mph is when the prayers start.

street music
May 15th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Spud, I don't know if I would have the nerve now but 40 years ago I was able to reach 52 on my bike and yes it was downhill in a race on open road, I thought I would die before I got the thing slowed down, my tire went flat in the next curve but I was slowed down a lot by then. Glad you were able to tell your story and not let us read about it later.

Tig
May 15th, 2011, 08:59 PM
My race wheels were usually tubular/sew-ups. Prolonged braking can soften up the glue and cause catastrophic tire to rim separation. Luckily I never had long descents like you do in Idaho.

The time I was going mid-50's had a little dangerous element to it...
I was in the opposing lane! Exiting a state park, I passed 2 riders at the top of the long hill and moved to the oncoming lane to do so safely. You could see a mile down the road. Well, next thing I know, I'm flying down that road, looking over at the yellow lane reflectors in the middle of the road like they were the size of bricks if I hit one at that speed! Then I see the oncoming truck at the bottom of the hill, still a ways off, but the relative closing speed means it will be on me soon. I brake down to the low 40's and pull a small bunny hop over the reflectors, mouth tasting the adrenaline, chest thumping. Yet another crash prevented by MTB skills!

Spudman
May 15th, 2011, 11:10 PM
Glad you were able to tell your story and not let us read about it later.

I've actually been going fast for years. It's just that I've never had any internet friends to share it with before.

Bunny hops are life savers at times for sure Tig. I got my bad *** reputation a long time ago by showing my bunny skills to the road pack when I told them I would bunny hop the garbage bag in the road up ahead. It turned out to be a dog that had gotten run over. Ever since then I've been labeled "hard core." I do like some adrenalin from time to time.:beer:

Tig
May 15th, 2011, 11:30 PM
I dub thee, "Spud Dawg" (not to be confused with Spuds McKenzie).

I learned to bunny hop cattle guards when doing century rides out in the country. Takes speed. Must be a Texas thang I guess... cattle guards.

http://www.barking-moonbat.com/images/uploads/CattleGuard.jpg

Brian Krashpad
May 16th, 2011, 06:53 AM
Are bicycles really supposed to go that fast?

Spudman
May 16th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Are bicycles really supposed to go that fast?

I don't know, but testosterone fueled, endorphin filled skinny guys in lycra sure do like to go that fast.

sunvalleylaw
May 16th, 2011, 04:17 PM
I dub thee, "Spud Dawg" (not to be confused with Spuds McKenzie).

I learned to bunny hop cattle guards when doing century rides out in the country. Takes speed. Must be a Texas thang I guess... cattle guards.

http://www.barking-moonbat.com/images/uploads/CattleGuard.jpg

There are cattle guards out here on the back dirt roads we ride MTB on this time of year, and some of the single track. I have gone fast on a road bike, but I don't think that fast. I really should put some computers back on my bikes to see. Spud, you are slowing down. Last time you posted a pic like that, I think it did show 55!

Oh, and quit talking about your lycra. This is a family forum. After seeing the "masters" folk come back out thinking they are Lance, I am ready to have a shirt printed up: "White Kits are Just Wrong." Not that you have one of those, mind you. (you don't, do you?).

Spudman
May 16th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Spud, you are slowing down. Last time you posted a pic like that, I think it did show 55!

It was 49 mph. Winter weight pulls faster. Hence the 54 mph.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Cycling/IMGP4242.jpg

NWBasser
May 16th, 2011, 05:42 PM
I've actually been going fast for years. It's just that I've never had any internet friends to share it with before.

Bunny hops are life savers at times for sure Tig. I got my bad *** reputation a long time ago by showing my bunny skills to the road pack when I told them I would bunny hop the garbage bag in the road up ahead. It turned out to be a dog that had gotten run over. Ever since then I've been labeled "hard core." I do like some adrenalin from time to time.:beer:

I remember bunny-hopping over a rattlesnake once. I was hauling down this canyon through some brush and all of a sudden there it was! Yeah, that was a life-saver moment.

sunvalleylaw
May 16th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Nah, he would have just missed you and got his head snapped off in the spokes. Or that is what I tell myself when the snakes start to come out.

Spudman
May 16th, 2011, 09:27 PM
I remember bunny-hopping over a rattlesnake once. I was hauling down this canyon through some brush and all of a sudden there it was! Yeah, that was a life-saver moment.

Snakes are scary. They scare me more than going fast. You did "the snake bunny.":dude