PDA

View Full Version : Possible to write classic pop songs today?

BlackAngusYoung
May 12th, 2011, 02:31 PM
I'm wondering why nobody today (unless there's an underground scene I don't know about) is writing music like the old standards of rock n' roll or early pop or the great country songs of Hank Williams?

How come nothing current sounds like Buddy Holly, early Beatles, "Will You Love Me Tomorrow," Dion & The Belmonts, or the Platters. So many people feel that music isn't what it used to be, so why isn't anyone writing it like it used to be written?

For that matter, why doesn't anyone sing like singers used to sing? Why does one have to go all crazy-all-over-the-place like Christina Aguilera and push their voice in every direction it can go these days? Can't she just calm down and sing it pure like Billie Holiday would? I really think she (or whoever) could, but it's like there's a competitive drive to prove something that doesn't really need to be proven.

I guess part of it has something to do with a change in social conscience. These days, people can speak more frankly in their lyrics than in the past... so even if the subject matter is largely the same it doesn't need to be veiled anymore and the poetry is lost. Same with the melody, I guess. Compositions and available instruments/sounds have gotten so complicated, it's like there aren't any nice, simple well-crafted songs.

Or is it just perspective? Is it only in my imagination that Patti Page had better material than Britney Spears, or would I have been just as annoyed with The Singing Rage if I were around in her time?

Let me know who I should be listening to if I want to hear something new that comes anywhere close to "Stardust" or "Black Coffee."
(Also let me know if you don't know what the heck I'm talking about or if you're bugged by the same thing, too.)

After writing this, I feel like a cranky old man... but I'm really a cranky young man, I swear.

R_of_G
May 12th, 2011, 04:08 PM
There's plenty of it. Check out Sunny & The Sunsets for a sixties rock vibe, or Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings for the most authentic Stax-style soul you'll ever hear outside of the Stax label.

Don't assume that all you hear on the radio is all pop music has to offer. As long as there is music there'll be pop music and a percentage of it will be excellent. It's sad that it doesn't get the airplay it used to but who listens to the radio anymore anyway? That's why I don't care how awful Britney or Bieber are because I never have to hear them.

Tig
May 12th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Yes, most radio doesn't play anything beyond the corporate created play list, so you won't find much on the air outside of college stations or Little Steven's Underground Garage.

But dig around and there are plenty of great bands and singers to be found.

Len Price 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZIGS90XXp4

Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD8tu77WxXA
Marian Call

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXFXzYKgBpA

Eric
May 12th, 2011, 04:56 PM
If you're asking why you don't hear the music, I'd say it's probably because it's not that commercially viable, and that's closely tied to how influences have changed, both for the writers and audience. It's that whole progression-of-music thing.

My first reaction when I read your original post was, "Well, why don't you write some of it?" And lest you think you need any skill whatsoever (either vocally or guitar-wise) to write an effective song, I find this to be evidence otherwise:

nmdWXU29PeM

But to touch on another point you made, I think time may have something to do with it. For instance, I like some of the Doobie Brothers music from before Tom Johnston left and they started becoming Michael McDonald music. However, I have no idea how they were viewed back in the day. For all I know, they could have been the equivalent of Maroon 5 or Creed. Same goes for the Eagles or any number of other groups from that era. I'm very curious to see how time treats disposable-yet-commercially-successful bands (e.g. Nickelback) that were popular when I was an adult.

R_of_G
May 12th, 2011, 05:48 PM
For instance, I like some of the Doobie Brothers music from before Tom Johnston left and they started becoming Michael McDonald music. However, I have no idea how they were viewed back in the day. For all I know, they could have been the equivalent of Maroon 5 or Creed. Same goes for the Eagles or any number of other groups from that era.

Which leads to the question how were they viewed by who back in the day?
The popular music press?
Teenagers?
People that were then the age we are now?
Other musicians?

I suspect it was likely as subjective then as it is now as it ever will be.

"Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks,
and so on and so on and scooby dooby dooby"

- Sly Stone

R_of_G
May 12th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Oh and as for writing good real country music, last I checked Steve Earle just put out a new album and last I listened to it (which would be this afternoon) it's awesome.

Also, check out Neko Case. She puts the mainstream female country singers to shame.

If she could get five minutes on mainstream country radio, people would forget Carrie Underwood ever existed.

_FhVbyeWFvo

Good popular music abounds.
It's just not popular.
Genre is as meaningless as the words used to describe it.

BlackAngusYoung
May 12th, 2011, 10:27 PM
My first reaction when I read your original post was, "Well, why don't you write some of it?"
Well, yeah, that was my first reaction when I came up with the question... and I think I came up with the question when I was 7. I'd like to say that's the plan, but I think it's a pretty long-term plan at this point.

I wasn't really asking why I don't hear anything good on radio because I never listen to radio. I also never watch TV. I just read about music and look into it, but it's usually time-tested stuff there's lots of available info about and a strong vibe concerning. I guess the problem is that I don't have any trusted sources for finding current things I would appreciate. (Well, maybe I do now.) I just wanted to be pointed in the right direction... or some direction that could be right. Thanks a lot, respondents!

Part of the reason I started this thread was because I just watched the movie Your Cheatin' Heart, about Hank Williams. His songs were so simple in a way and so was the instrumentation, that I wonder if people basically "know better" these days and have lost something primal along the way. I was a little surprised at one scene where it looked like the only percussion on one of his classic songs was a single snare drum played with wire brushes. I just thought that maybe that was the secret. We have so much these days, we don't consider how life would be if we just threw most of it away. Then there's the story about Buddy Holly having someone else stand next to him to flick the pickup switch on his guitar for different parts of the song. (I doubt Steve Vai's ever even considered that approach.)

I really enjoyed The Honeybears. I watched that first because just the still pic looked like my kind of thing and I thought it was really great. Then I watched Len Price 3 and was pretty much just as happy. Then I watched the other vids linked to and thank everyone very much for replying to my post. All good stuff.
Now I'm on YouTube on another tab, with Sharon Jones playing and I think I finally understand what it means to be in love. I had other things I wanted to say on here but none of them matter. All that matters right this second is to watch every video of Sharon Jones available and completely flood my Facebook page with them... complete with jubilant expletives.
It's after midnight now. When my friends wake up in the morning... well I'll probably be removed from some News Feeds. Thanks R/G... at the moment, you're my hero.

sunvalleylaw
May 12th, 2011, 11:28 PM
Tig, that is so cool that you post Marian. She is my 1st cousin's daughter (whatever that makes her to me) and did a house concert at my house last august!

Yeah, I think the good stuff is out there. Just have to look for it harder amidst all the noise that exists today in this world.

Tig
May 12th, 2011, 11:52 PM
Tig, that is so cool that you post Marian. She is my 1st cousin's daughter (whatever that makes her to me) and did a house concert at my house last august!

Hey, you introduced us Fretters to her music. I really like that song. It is a good example of a fresh approach to clever song writing.

mrmudcat
May 13th, 2011, 12:03 AM
If you're asking why you don't hear the music, I'd say it's probably because it's not that commercially viable, and that's closely tied to how influences have changed, both for the writers and audience. It's that whole progression-of-music thing.

My first reaction when I read your original post was, "Well, why don't you write some of it?" And lest you think you need any skill whatsoever (either vocally or guitar-wise) to write an effective song, I find this to be evidence otherwise:

nmdWXU29PeM

But to touch on another point you made, I think time may have something to do with it. For instance, I like some of the Doobie Brothers music from before Tom Johnston left and they started becoming Michael McDonald music. However, I have no idea how they were viewed back in the day. For all I know, they could have been the equivalent of Maroon 5 or Creed. Same goes for the Eagles or any number of other groups from that era. I'm very curious to see how time treats disposable-yet-commercially-successful bands (e.g. Nickelback) that were popular when I was an adult.

Eric nice post loved these guys!! Moreso than Wilco!!:AOK Hard to believe its been 15 or more years since spilitting up!!:what

Lev
May 13th, 2011, 01:21 AM
Great Song, great vocals, plenty of radio play and is topping most pop music charts.... it does happen every once in a while

CeuS-wK8UZU

R_of_G
May 13th, 2011, 04:26 AM
Now I'm on YouTube on another tab, with Sharon Jones playing and I think I finally understand what it means to be in love. I had other things I wanted to say on here but none of them matter. All that matters right this second is to watch every video of Sharon Jones available and completely flood my Facebook page with them... complete with jubilant expletives.
It's after midnight now. When my friends wake up in the morning... well I'll probably be removed from some News Feeds. Thanks R/G... at the moment, you're my hero.

Glad to help. There are some other great bands on the Daptone label as well.

BlackAngusYoung
May 13th, 2011, 07:41 AM
I should mention another reason I started thinking about current old-style rock n' roll is because I just discovered Hunx & His Punx. They have that sort of sound, plus their videos are pretty hilarious. I don't know how well-known they are. They should probably be better-known and probably aren't simply because he's too much of a... um... man's man. I'd recommend these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ZnUBB1QWc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz1sQbAs4ww&feature=related
Well, considering the thread I guess I would want to post their video called "You Don't Like Rock n' Roll" but there is very minimal swearing and a comical BDSM theme so I figured it might not be cool to actually link to it.... but check it out. Y'know, or don't.

BlackAngusYoung
May 13th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Wow, that Adele is great! I just watched it. First time I've heard her. I guess it's maybe worth getting in touch with things after all. I like how he's got the vinyl, too. (I wish I did.) Thanks again, everyone.

NWBasser
May 13th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Great Song, great vocals, plenty of radio play and is topping most pop music charts.... it does happen every once in a while

CeuS-wK8UZU

Oh wow, our band is covering that one now.

I'd never even heard of it.

tunghaichuan
May 13th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Oh and as for writing good real country music, last I checked Steve Earle just put out a new album and last I listened to it (which would be this afternoon) it's awesome.

Also, check out Neko Case. She puts the mainstream female country singers to shame.

If she could get five minutes on mainstream country radio, people would forget Carrie Underwood ever existed.

_FhVbyeWFvo

Good popular music abounds.
It's just not popular.
Genre is as meaningless as the words used to describe it.

Steve Earle is kind of a commie, so his brand of leftist country doesn't sit well with the mainstream Nashville types. :rollover I think his music is great and he's one of my favorites.

I'd also add Chris Knight to modern country:

2wvMNu15Uwo

0GX8hGmR00E

qwSGm1kul8Y

R_of_G
May 13th, 2011, 04:49 PM
^^ Thanks Tung. Had not heard Chris Knight before but liked what I just heard in those vids. Will have to check out more of his stuff.

Nashville used to like Earle just fine, so long as he was selling his songs to other people to record. :P

There's also one of my favorite recent finds, Those Darlins and their awesome blend of country and garage-rock.

4P0XBgSNZEQ

msteeln
May 13th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Like most of the true greats and lucky greats of the past, most of them didn't have wide open doors of acceptance by record labels execs/the listening public, and even the best would find it extremely hard to get a break today. Hank Williams? SECURITY!!!

tunghaichuan
May 14th, 2011, 09:27 AM
^^ Thanks Tung. Had not heard Chris Knight before but liked what I just heard in those vids. Will have to check out more of his stuff.

I still have to get a few of his albums, but his stuff is top notch. That song North Dakota is heart breaking.

Nashville used to like Earle just fine, so long as he was selling his songs to other people to record. :P

Point taken :)

There's also one of my favorite recent finds, Those Darlins and their awesome blend of country and garage-rock.

4P0XBgSNZEQ

Sweet! Thanks for posting, I enjoyed that. I'll have to check out more of their music.

R_of_G
May 14th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Yeah, I just found out about Those Darlins a month or so ago when their most recent album came out. I liked it a lot so went back and got their previous one. They're the perfect band for where my head is musically at the moment.