PDA

View Full Version : We should all thank Nelskie

aeolian
November 19th, 2006, 10:28 AM
I think Nelskie's post about the possibility of putting together a FretNetter CD energized this forum. Look at the all the recent postings of songs from all over! Regardless of what kind of technical guitar ability we have, if the music is earnest it will speak to someone, and I think all the music posted do that.

I'm enjoying every recording effort. I really don't think we would have any problems having enough for a CD, may be even more than one.

aeolian

sunvalleylaw
November 19th, 2006, 10:35 AM
I think Nelskie's post about the possibility of putting together a FretNetter CD energized this forum. Look at the all the recent postings of songs from all over! Regardless of what kind of technical guitar ability we have, if the music is earnest it will speak to someone, and I think all the music posted do that.

I'm enjoying every recording effort. I really don't think we would have any problems having enough for a CD, may be even more than one.

aeolian

ABSOLUTELY!!! Thank you Nelskie!

Lev
November 19th, 2006, 11:00 AM
I agree 100% - I've really enjoyed all the sound clips posted over the past few days. I hope Nelskie checks back soon to see what he has started. Hope I can get some time to post some clips of my own in the coming days!

SuperSwede
November 19th, 2006, 11:01 AM
I concur! This vitamin injection was much needed.

duhvoodooman
November 19th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Having just gotten home from church, I gotta say....AMEN!! That was a great idea, and it's really jump-started activity around TheFret!

Hogfullofblues
November 19th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Most definately! Nels didn't create a spark, he triggered a thermonuclear device. We don't need more cowbell, we need more Nelskie!
So thanks Nels and I too hope you check in soon.

ted s
November 19th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Cheers Nelskie !...............

Spudman
November 19th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Well...I'll thank him after he posts a clip of his own playing.

Nelskie
November 19th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Well...I'll thank him after he posts a clip of his own playing.
OK - you asked for it.

Here's something I just laid down this afternoon - - a little Allman Bros. inspired tune I call "Country Mile". It is soooo rough I am almost embarassed to even post it. But as I listened to it this evening, I thought about what Justa' had said about being people overly concerned about how "perfect" stuff sounds. Well folks, this is about as far from perfect as it gets. Even so, I thought it would be a great clip for me to post, because:

1.) It's nothing but me & my guitar. No drums, bass, keys, or effects. Naked. (sans the pancakes! :D )
2.) There are errors in it - fills, timing, etc. And yes, I make lots of them. I'm usually not too concerned about playing everything perfectly when I am roughing out an idea. I mainly want to capture the feel of the melody.
3.) The poor EQ'ing is a by-product of me prioritizing - i.e. getting the idea down vs. technical / production considerations.

For me - this is how a song comes to life. I try to capture the idea to the point where I can reference it later on, and build upon it. Yes - I have many more hours of work ahead of me, to include the often laborious task of developing a drum & bass track for it, and then - honing my rhythm / lead parts. But the basic idea is there.

I was humming this melody this morning while I was working outside. It is now a tangible piece of music, brimming with life & possibility. And that's what I probably dig the most about recording.

BTW - I'll take that thank-you now, Spud. ;)

GEAR: MIJ Squier Strat straight into a Zoom MRS-8 DAW. Guitar tones are both Zoom-based models that built into the DAW: Rhythm: Fender Tweed Deluxe; Lead: Fender Blackface Twin Reverb. Both tracks were played on the stock bridge p'up.

oldguy
November 19th, 2006, 07:36 PM
OK, Nelskie, very nice, and the rough parts are what makes it all real!
Good vibe, nice playing, and a big thumbs up!:DR
Glenn

Robert
November 19th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Nice job, Nelskie, good to hear some guitar playing from ya! Sounds like it could turn into a cool song. The guitar models sounded really good from that unit. You've got a good tone in your fingers. Thanks for posting!

ted s
November 19th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Nice job Nelskie, thank you. It's you guys that give the rest of us the push to to try this stuff out.

Tone2TheBone
November 19th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Well, ALRIGHT! Well done Nelskie, been a long time coming and that is the making of a great song....something that I'd like to hear more of and play along with. :) Nice tones man...keep them coming. +1!

Spudman
November 19th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Well, ALRIGHT! Well done Nelskie, been a long time coming and that is the making of a great song....something that I'd like to hear more of and play along with. :) Nice tones man...keep them coming. +1!

What he said....and thank you.:D

SuperSwede
November 20th, 2006, 12:51 AM
Good things are worth waiting for, and this recording was one of those things! Very nice track Nelskie!

duhvoodooman
November 20th, 2006, 05:21 AM
WELL, AWRIGHT!! Worth the wait! Lookin' forward to hearing the finished product!! :DR

tot_Ou_tard
November 20th, 2006, 08:10 AM
See Vood, you just had to with hold something from Nelsk to get him to post his playing!

Thanks Nelsk! I liked the vibe of your track, you expect a little mud on the boots after a country mile. Nice amblin' feel.

Leave it to the rhinestoners to start with polish & then try to spit-shine the life outta a song.

Justaguyin_nc
November 20th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Dagnabit Nel I wanted to hear the Cyber amp..;) Thanks Dude... for everything.. should turn out to be a pretty neat song..