PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Moraz in the house

syo
May 13th, 2011, 08:40 AM
I was just going through some of my old sketch books and came across a quick sketch I did of Patrick Moraz (ex-keyboardist for Yes, Moody Blues). He was sitting across from me at a girlfriend's house and I was doing my little trick of sketching without being noticed. Basically taking a snapshot or two in my mind and quickly jotting down the pictures in my head in a minute or two. Some people who are self-concious sometimes realize I'm up to something however Patrick was pretty fond of his own voice and didn't notice a thing. I probably could have painted his portrait and he wouldn't have known it.

http://www.hellguitars.com/stuff/Moraz.jpg

Brought back alot of memories of music I used to listen to. I first heard Moraz in a Prog group called Refugee (heard of them Spud?) and liked them when I was a kid, and later bought some of his solo stuff. It was a kick to later spend a little time with him. Interesting fellow I suppose. Haven't listened to his stuff in years though. Maybe time to dust off some of my vinyl...

Anyone out there ever hear of Refugee? I'd be surprised.

Edit: Sorry for any confusion. I moved this from open mic. Since I was actually asking "have you heard" I figured I should put it there.

Spudman
May 13th, 2011, 09:43 AM
What a cool story. In my world we often discuss things related to the Moraz.

syo
May 13th, 2011, 09:41 PM
I thought I might hear from you Spud as you're our eminent Progman. So have you heard of Refugee? The bass player and drummer were Ex-The Nice (Emerson left for ELP). They were later Ex-Refugee as Moraz left to join Yes. I remember a few years ago searching for them on youtube but found nothing but audio. Then last night I found this live video from the Old Grey Whistle Test. This was actually the first piece I ever heard from them, which I thought was pretty cool at the time. Not too bad now either...

fzTWViyLHow

Amazingly I also found this video of him at the Musician's Institute in Hollywood that I attended some 15 years ago. This was a couple of days after I sketched him.

NKSdmG1aCmU

Wow, memories and youtube can be cool...