PDA

View Full Version : Fender Mustang III

stingx
May 13th, 2011, 03:52 PM
OK, so after a long debate over Pod HD, Blackstar, and Mustang the latter won me over. I have only had it for two days so I'll post back later my opinions after putting through its paces. Right now I can tell you that I think the construction is very good and it doesn't look cheap. I think the combination of the opened back design with the Celestion 12" speaker sounds mint. I was very impressed by most of the default patches - almost all of them sound just great without exaggeration like you usually find that show off the effects. Some of the best patches are just a bank of various default sounding base models at the end that you can tailor to individual taste (either on the amp's LCD or via FUSE software).

I'll hit back with sound clips (mic'd, stereo LO, and USB for comparison) in a short while. I have connected it a few ways and recorded but not much, to be honest I'm just having too much fun using it as a plain old amp. This is a really good product, people. The fender cleans on this are worth the price of admission alone. The icing on the cake is that the higher gain model amps sound tremendous.

NWBasser
May 13th, 2011, 05:36 PM
I'm what you may graciously call "technologically challenged" and I was able to dial up nice tones straight away when I messed with one recently.

The way I see it is that if it works well as just an amp, then everything else (modeling, software, etc.) is gravy. Mmmm, nice thick salty gravy...

If I could only sell my strat, I'd probably pick up one these little gems.

oldguy
May 14th, 2011, 06:32 AM
I played one at a local music store a month or so ago.........the Deluxe Reverb model with the volume cranked is a beautiful thing.........

Katastrophe
May 14th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Congrats, stingx! I love my little 'Stang I... Now if I can just figure out how to use the recording software, I'll be doing good!

stingx
May 14th, 2011, 08:51 PM
I don't bother with Ableton Live. I just record via the USB connection and use the Fender ASIO driver. I still use Mackie Tracktion 2 for recording. It's old and long in the tooth but it still works well for my needs.