PDA

View Full Version : Which cab?

Zip
May 14th, 2011, 06:32 PM
I bought one of those Jet City 20-watt amp heads. Did the Sufra mod, and swapped the Chinese pre-amp tubes for JJ's. Sounds very nice through my 4x12, but I don't want to lug that cab around to practice and the Jet City is way smaller than my Blue Voodoo head - bottom line, I need to buy a 1 or 2x12 cab. Here's where I need your help:

Both the Jet City JCA12XS and the JCA12S are well priced and would suit my needs just fine. They're priced about the same. What the hell is the difference between the two? Any advice?
TIA :)

Zip
May 15th, 2011, 06:47 AM
Pulled the trigger on one. Thanks anyway.

tunghaichuan
May 15th, 2011, 09:44 AM
I bought one of those Jet City 20-watt amp heads. Did the Sufra mod, and swapped the Chinese pre-amp tubes for JJ's. Sounds very nice through my 4x12, but I don't want to lug that cab around to practice and the Jet City is way smaller than my Blue Voodoo head - bottom line, I need to buy a 1 or 2x12 cab. Here's where I need your help:

Both the Jet City JCA12XS and the JCA12S are well priced and would suit my needs just fine. They're priced about the same. What the hell is the difference between the two? Any advice?
TIA :)

I looked up the specs and it looks like the JCA12XS is smaller. The "midrange growl" is probably due to having less bass response from the smaller cabinet. The JCA12X has a larger cabinet so there is probably more bass, but could be boomy if the cab is too big. I have not tried either, so this is pure speculation on my part.

They use the same speaker so the cabinet is the defining factor.

Which one did you get?

Zip
May 15th, 2011, 02:02 PM
I got the XS (smaller cab) instead of the S. The other is a closed back, this one has a removable panel for closed/half open. Pretty much that was the decider.