PDA

View Full Version : Good deal on Studio Monitors

otaypanky
May 15th, 2011, 05:50 PM
GC is holding classes on Saturday mornings to help folks discover what Garageband is all about. There are 4 classes covering different things each week. Then the classes start over, every 4 weeks. I have tinkered with Garageband a bit but I am going to the classes to try and learn what I don't know about it. So far the first two classes have been pretty cursory in scope and just touched on some of the basics of what can be done in GB. My guess is it's been a bit confusing for newbies and somewhat lacking in substance for those who have played with the program a bit. I expect the next two sessions will be a bit more in depth, covering mastering and a few other things ~
While I was there the last two Saturdays, I was eyeing the powered monitors on display. I currently use M-Audio BX5-A's that were recommended by my friend who works with M-Audio. He explained that because my monitors would be in close proximity to where I sit I would not benefit from having anything larger. They do in fact sound great. I have them on platforms, suspended from the ceiling with lightweight chains, and they aim right at my ears, which is important for being in the 'sweet spot' while listening.
But there are times when I want to use them for playing the music to the room and not just my desk chair location. I listened to some KRK's (?) and the M-Audio BX8-A's.
The BX8-A's priced at $299 sounded considerably better than the $239 KRK. Then I discovered that the BX8's were on sale at $299 for THE PAIR. MSRP is $599, Sweetwater is $499, so saving $200 made me go for them. I think the sale is on through the end of May. They do sound big and fat and clear, really nice ~
130 watts, bi amp'd
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/StudiophileBX8aDeluxe.html
:AOK

Spudman
May 15th, 2011, 08:11 PM
That's a great price for amplified monitors.

riverrick
May 16th, 2011, 11:04 PM
I had a pair bX5A's for about 6 months. And they sounded great. Then one day the right one just stopped working. I contacted their customer service. To inform them of my problem, and never heard a word back. After some research online I find out that many folks had the same problem. And said that they have lousy customer service. In the meantime I got a pair of Mackie MR5's. Hope these last a little longer!!!

deeaa
May 17th, 2011, 01:06 AM
Studio monitors aren't supposed to sound good :-)

otaypanky
May 17th, 2011, 11:24 AM
That sucks Rick, didn't the retailer help you out? I bought my 5's on eBay used and they have been going strong a couple of years

On a side note regarding customer service, last year I bought a Gator powered pedal board. It was just the size I wanted for a small board, the G-Bus8 power supply has eight 9v and three 18v outlets, and it comes in a soft carry case, all for $110. After a few months with not much usage it was dead. Gator sent me a new one out immediately. I don't know why, but that one died too. So a few weeks ago I sent both of them to Gator to the attention of the fellow that helped me out with the first replacement. I called him today to see if he got them and if they could figure out what had gone wrong with them, but he said he didn't get them. But without an instant's hesitation he said that first, he'd send out a replacement right away, then see if he could find where the returned ones went ~ I know some of you are probably laughing and wondering why I would want a replacement if two had failed, but I still think that's outstanding customer service

riverrick
May 17th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Hey Bob,
Yeah that really sucks big time!!! No help from the retailer. I don't blame you for replacing your Gator board. As long as they keep sending new ones why not? It's a shame customer service is as poor as it is some places. As long as they have your dough who cares.....grrrr!!!

sjwgguitar
September 28th, 2011, 07:39 AM
Yeah, its real nice to have studio/near-field monitors for things other than just mixing and studio things. I have a 10 year old pair of Yorkville's (model YSM1P, 70w to the woofer and 30w to the tweeter) and since then I have a hard time playing music through a stereo/home entertainment 'shmozzle'. The flatness and pure image of the sound is so clear and true in a good monitor that it is hard to beat. They do throw the required frequencies for a balanced sound further that the close range usually require in a studio (wall to chair basically) so dialing them up a bit for other things only forces that woofer to push more air, necessary for great lows anyhow.

Those you mentioned look like a great deal. Have you been enjoying them since?

http://pages.videotron.com/swguitar